Has there been a change in private touring from cruise ships in Italy?

jeno

I heard from a tour guide I had booked many months ago for the port of Naples. He has been on standby for us just in case the rules of Italy changed and we could do private tours. 
Yesterday he said that in the last couple of days taxi drivers have been picking up cruise ship passengers and taking them touring.  He thought one of the ships could have been the Marina.  (I can’t seem to find the Marina’s current itinerary to see if they’ve even been in Naples). He said I should ask at the tour desk.  The Destination guy said absolutely not.  Nothing has changed.  
Anyone else have any knowledge of things loosening up? 

• Like 1

Jeno, we are aboard the same ship with you and you are correct, Italy is a NO GO! Ship tours only. More than likely it was another cruise line, maybe Costa or others with Italians aboard and  playing it loosely but I am sure Oceania will not.  There is no way they are going to jeopardize their return to sailing and the future of the company to allow a few people to take private tours.  
Ciao,

Mauibabes

I just got a call from a woman from Destination services about another issue.  At the end I asked her what she thought about what the guide had said which was also confirmed by a woman currently on the Marina.  That woman said she saw people getting into private cars and taxis.  The woman who called me just now said she is Italian and has been watching this carefully.  She mentioned that even the Italian cruise lines can’t have passengers on private tours.  Then she said that you can arrange private tours through the ship with Oceania’s  approved guides.  Tour must be arranged by Oceania.  Now that makes sense.  I don’t know how many people arrange private tours, but this is most likely the explanation.  

My sister and BIL are just getting off a Med cruise today (not Oceania). They indicated last week that Italy is still requiring ship excursions only. Although one of the excursions they booked -- to Pompeii -- allowed them free time to walk around the site. That could be because most of the site is outside and people can stay distanced.

I tried to get my guide approved by Oceania on a Marina cruise we took last month…it was a no go because he needed to a guide from the agency contracted by Oceania. Although, I should add that in Naples we decided to take the Oceania Capri excursion and once in Capri we were allowed to explore on our own.