Caribbean Quarantine

Mrs Wally

I accept all of what you said.  If either myself or husband were ill with a Covid infection I expect us to leave the ship and get medical attention.  
My concern is .. we do everything possible to reduce the risk of infection. 
we don’t get ill or test positive but in theory could be asked to leave the ship and be responsible for our own expenses and sorting travel home.  
Surely his is not acceptable for any cruise operator.   Short of spending the cruise wearing a hazmat suit or putting ourselves into self isolation I can not think of a way that guarantees this can’t happen.  

On 11/18/2021 at 1:06 PM, Megabear2 said:

Just spoken to my contact. Meeting being held 12.00pm today, announcement and new terms and conditions soon after. 

It's o.k. for P&O to introduce new terms and conditions. But to me it's a bit like buying a car, getting 6 months warrantee and on the 7th month the garage phones you and says " There's a major fault on your car, but tough luck the warrantee ran out last month" If these new T&C's don't cover the traveller for anything not covered by their insurance company they should give the passengers involved a chance to cancel their voyage and give a full refund. 

The offloading clause 23 has always existed with regard to contagious illness.  I have some old terms and conditions from 2019 which I discovered I had not thrown away which are attached to my cancelled/now moved cruises and the wording is identical to the replacement with the addition from my July 2021 seacation the terms of the Covid wording.  Legally it would be very difficult to argue the terms had changed as I assume a lot of the bookings are from 2019/2020/2021 cancelled cruises. Any new bookings from July 2021 would quite clearly have been made with the Covid wording in situ. Basically we all signed up to these terms when we bought a cruise - a lesson for us all to read the minutiae!

I have every sympathy with angry people who thought the insurance would cover them for every eventuality, until I asked questions in July I believed that to be the case too.  However we are where we are and I personally would rather get P&O to cover the problem in their terms and conditions than argue with dozens of insurance companies.  Legally I think both sides are on dodgy ground but by the time the arguments are done we will all be long past the time we should have cruised. Of course individuals are welcome to put their arguments about their cancellation rights if they wish to - I note one gentleman above has stated he is doing just that. If anyone has success in this perhaps they would kindly post on the boards about it for others to follow if they wish. I do believe strength in numbers is required and anyone who emailed on the issue should chase constantly if the reply is not forthcoming.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, Carnival were supposed to have been having a meeting about this last Thursday .

I had wondered if their decision would have been communicated today, in one of their ‘Tuesday at 10am’ announcements. But nothing seems to be forthcoming.

I have a feeling they won’t make any announcements this week, as booking has just opened for winter 2023/24 and they’ll want to keep the messaging ‘positive’.

However, I hope they don’t dilly dally too much, as the offloading scenario could happen at any time, and I think passengers should have some clarity. 

Edited by Dermotsgirl
  • Like 3

Sorry, I'm only telling you what they tell me.  They could be giving me total rubbish for all I know, but I doubt it as they are assisting me with my own personal bookings and noting them subject to the position with offloading.  I doubt they'd offer to do that if there wasn't something very close.  I am speaking to my contact regularly and she tells me she's frustrated too.

37 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Sorry, I'm only telling you what they tell me.  They could be giving me total rubbish for all I know, but I doubt it as they are assisting me with my own personal bookings and noting them subject to the position with offloading.  I doubt they'd offer to do that if there wasn't something very close.  I am speaking to my contact regularly and she tells me she's frustrated too.

I copied my original Email to carnival couple of days ago and received a non reply usual statement from Cherelle so again I have highlighted relevant questions and re submitted. Megabear 2 you have done outstanding work bringing the insurance flaws to our attention. P and O will hopefully release a statement of intent soon.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Not blaming you for it just commenting on it. Myself along with everyone else appreciate what you’re doing keep it up! 👍

• Like 2

I doubt it's helpful.

Having reviewed your correspondence, I appreciate you making contact with us regarding the comments you have seen on social media. I understand that some of these comments have made you concerned about some of our procedures surrounding COVID-19 and I welcome the opportunity to respond to these concerns for you. With regard to a coach transfer to Southampton, I can confirm that COVID-19 protocols, including mask wearing need to be adhered to during the coach journey. Failure to do this may result in denied boarding if another guest on the coach tests positive for COVID-19. I can advise that coach companies are now providing us with seating plans and we will be utilising these when a guest has a positive result so that a decision can be made as to whether any close contacts need to be identified.

We are aware of the new NHS guidance for close contacts which states that there is no longer a need to self-isolate if you have completed your vaccination course. However, the framework of approved protocols for cruise ships differs slightly to that on land, and the protection of the health and well-being of all guests and crew is our utmost priority. Our protocols have been developed with guidance from global medical and public health experts and scientists as well as UK Government agencies and are designed to protect everyone on board while we continue to deliver memorable holidays.

I have also noted your concerns with some of the comments that you have seen on social media regarding close contacts of a guest who has a positive COVID-19 test result on board. I would like to reassure you that this would be reviewed on an individual basis as we understand that whilst insurance companies will cover the positive testing guest, it may not in all circumstances cover the close contact.  I do appreciate how concerning this must be for you and I would reassure you that we are constantly reviewing our policies on a regular basis as the global situation continues to evolve.

It's interesting because it's the first time I've ever seen them acknowledge the close contact not being covered by insurance apart from in communication with myself.  If you have time perhaps you can reply and ask if their policies are going to be updated and made clear to passengers/travel agents so they form part of your contract. Also ask if this case by case issue would guarantee you and your contacts will not be financially liable for the costs they know are uninsurable.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

It's interesting because it's the first time I've ever seen them acknowledge the close contact not being covered by insurance apart from in communication with myself.  If you have time perhaps you can reply and ask if their policies are going to be updated and made clear to passengers/travel agents so they form part of your contract. Also ask if this case by case issue would guarantee you and your contacts will not be financially liable for the costs they know are uninsurable.

I will try to do so tomorrow, but I might not be able to until Monday. The reply about the coach is still a bit worrying as we will be on there for over eight hours. That's the first hurdle just to get to Southampton then the fact someone might test positive. The rest of the reply doesn't offer any reassurances for us. We still have a long time until our cruise, but the shine has well and truly gone. 

I believe the problems with the coaches were because the drivers did not follow the protocol of the negative test proof. After the two incidents the rules were tightened and no more reports of problems have been received as far as I am aware.  The learning curve has been deep but at the moment P&O are not doing so bad.  Given a choice I'd definitely go with them or Cunard over Fred and Marella because of the 2ay the passengers are being treated. My TA confirmed that to me yesterday as well.  I'm sure it will be great, don't worry.

9 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I have also noted your concerns with some of the comments that you have seen on social media regarding close contacts of a guest who has a positive COVID-19 test result on board. I would like to reassure you that this would be reviewed on an individual basis as we understand that whilst insurance companies will cover the positive testing guest, it may not in all circumstances cover the close contact.  I do appreciate how concerning this must be for you and I would reassure you that we are constantly reviewing our policies on a regular basis as the global situation continues to evolve.

I have copied this section to Cherelle and added your suggested questions it may be helpful if as many people as possible do the same. All I want to know is I am not going to be out of pocket should the worse happen. Take care all

4 hours ago, Swanseasailor said:

I have copied this section to Cherelle and added your suggested questions it may be helpful if as many people as possible do the same. All I want to know is I am not going to be out of pocket should the worse happen. Take care all

Received this morning. P and O are determined not to commit to covering costs until each case is assessed.

Also alleging removals are a social media scare mongering.  IMO

Dear Mr xxxxxx,

Thank you for taking the time to contact in relation to your forthcoming cruise on Iona.

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in our response. It is always our intention to respond to guest correspondence in a timely manner and I apologise that I have been unable to do so until now.

Having reviewed your correspondence, I appreciate you making contact with us regarding the comments you have seen on social media. I understand that some of these comments have made you concerned about some of our procedures surrounding COVID-19 and I welcome the opportunity to respond to these concerns for you. You have specifically mentioned close contacts of a guest who has a positive COVID-19 test result on board.

I would like to reassure you that this would be reviewed on an individual basis as we understand that whilst insurance companies will cover the positive testing guest, it may not in all circumstances cover the close contact.  I do appreciate how concerning this must be for you and I apologise for any poor impressions that you have gained.

We are constantly reviewing our policies as the global situation continues to evolve. The protection and safety of our guests and crew is our utmost priority. Our protocols have been developed with guidance from global medical and public health experts and scientists as well as UK Government agencies and are designed to protect everyone on board while we continue to deliver memorable holidays.

Mr xxxxxxx, I do hope that you will go on to have a wonderful time on Iona and we look forward to welcoming you on board in February.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times.

Kind regards,

Claire Bailey
Guest Support Representative
Office of Simon Palethorpe, President, Carnival UK
Office of Paul Ludlow, President, P&O Cruises

Email: executive.correspondence@carnivalukgroup.com
Web: www.pocruises.com | www.cunard.com
Carnival House, 100 Harbour Parade, Southampton SO15 1ST

`I have had my reply from P&O too.  Much the same wording as those quoted.  They apologise for not getting back to me before my recent (31st Oct) cruise on Ventura.  They admit insurance companies may not cover the non-positive guest, including their recommended insurer Holiday Extras whom we are with, I presume as they do not state otherwise.  I don't know what to say really.  Did we expect any different from them?

14 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I believe the problems with the coaches were because the drivers did not follow the protocol of the negative test proof. After the two incidents the rules were tightened and no more reports of problems have been received as far as I am aware.  The learning curve has been deep but at the moment P&O are not doing so bad.  Given a choice I'd definitely go with them or Cunard over Fred and Marella because of the 2ay the passengers are being treated. My TA confirmed that to me yesterday as well.  I'm sure it will be great, don't worry.

It was also due to coach passengers not wearing their masks and distancing not being adhered to.

1 hour ago, lujaha said:

`I have had my reply from P&O too.  Much the same wording as those quoted.  They apologise for not getting back to me before my recent (31st Oct) cruise on Ventura.  They admit insurance companies may not cover the non-positive guest, including their recommended insurer Holiday Extras whom we are with, I presume as they do not state otherwise.  I don't know what to say really.  Did we expect any different from them?

Yes we do expect better!  Maybe we should all reply to say we are having to consider our options with regard to their admission they know there's no cover and in those circumstances whether we feel we can take the risk with them and are consequently looking at their rivals who do offer an assurance.

Regarding social media perhaps those who are on it could threaten to publish their admission as well. Certainly I would be considering this after all this time.

I'll get back on chasing on Monday.

This is clearly their latest blanket reply.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarlaMarie said:

It was also due to coach passengers not wearing their masks and distancing not being adhered to.

Although that in itself was not the problem  - the issue was allowing people to board the coach with a positive test result.