Luminae on Beyond

galveston gal

Looks like a great enhancement versus the long rectangular on the Edge and Apex. Probably will have to bribe 🙃 the Maître D  to get one the tables on the very front of the ship.  Looks like a nice large secluded VIP table Imagine the view! Also of interest is that the Villas no longer have direct access to the retreat sundeck.  

image.png.aa917a0a8187ba028ac91598488792d9.png

• Like 1

The Beyond  Retreat sundeck is two levels - 16 and 17.  16 is partially covered, partially open and has a double staircase to 17,  and elevators. The Villas will have direct access to the Retreat Sundeck via the top level of the Villas to the lower level of the Retreat Sundeck (16).  There’s an illustration of the two decks on the Beyond homepage.   

11 hours ago, JFontaine said:

The Beyond  Retreat sundeck is two levels - 16 and 17.  16 is partially covered, partially open and has a double staircase to 17,  and elevators. The Villas will have direct access to the Retreat Sundeck via the top level of the Villas to the lower level of the Retreat Sundeck (16).  There’s an illustration of the two decks on the Beyond homepage.   

I don't agree.  Look at this diagram of Beyond Deck 17 and the umbrellas on the sundeck upper level which is not being shown as it's own deck.  The upper level of the retreat may be deck 18? Note the dotted line.

image.png.641373a7746f0024bcc24271fdc2d3b1.png

image.png.0ebd8223ba7e09ac062fdab57b38e2b0.png

6 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

I don't agree.  Look at this diagram of Beyond Deck 17 and the umbrellas on the sundeck upper level which is not being shown as it's own deck.  The upper level of the retreat may be deck 18? Note the dotted line.

It's clear to me from the deck plan you posted that those umbrellas are on deck 17, which is the upper level of the retreat. The double staircase down to the lower retreat level is in front of the red "The Retreat" signage.

19 minutes ago, RichYak said:

It's clear to me from the deck plan you posted that those umbrellas are on deck 17, which is the upper level of the retreat. The double staircase down to the lower retreat level is in front of the red "The Retreat" signage.

I agree!  And, the Villas only have direct access to 15 and 16.

Another change from the Edge for the Villas - on Edge their balconies were extremely private and quiet.  Now there will be people above them on the sundeck. 

And if this is to scale, the area directly  around the pool is much smaller. 

Edited by JFontaine

12 hours ago, JFontaine said:

Another change from the Edge for the Villas - on Edge their balconies were extremely private and quiet.  Now there will be people above them on the sundeck. 

And if this is to scale, the area directly  around the pool is much smaller. 

Good observation on the privacy issue.  

I find this interesting:

The floor plan for Luminae shows 166 seats by my count (your count may differ).  

Of those seats, only 52 (26 tables) are at two tops.  Less than 1/3.

I always assumed most dining parties on cruise ships were couples who didn't know other people. Of our past 15 cruises, only 3 were taken with friends or family.

If I were designing a floor plan for a dedicated dining room (ie Luminae) for suite guests, and parties were seated together only on request, I'd have more than half the seats designated at two tops. 

Cruising seems like Valentine's Day to me, when many romantic restaurants have to replace larger tables with smaller ones. 

I would guess they seat many of the parties of two in Luminae at tables for four.  I'm sure many past Luminae diners can confirm this. 

13 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I find this interesting:

The floor plan for Luminae shows 166 seats by my count (your count may differ).  

Of those seats, only 52 (26 tables) are at two tops.  Less than 1/3.

I always assumed most dining parties on cruise ships were couples who didn't know other people. Of our past 15 cruises, only 3 were taken with friends or family.

If I were designing a floor plan for a dedicated dining room (ie Luminae) for suite guests, and parties were seated together only on request, I'd have more than half the seats designated at two tops. 

Cruising seems like Valentine's Day to me, when many romantic restaurants have to replace larger tables with smaller ones. 

I would guess they seat many of the parties of two in Luminae at tables for four.  I'm sure many past Luminae diners can confirm this. 

Your observation  is correct. We (just the 2 of us) are always seated at a 4 top in Luminae. The square tables allow for flexibility since they can be put together to accommodate larger groups, or separated for just 2 or 4 guests.

• Like 1