Manulife Cruise Insurance for Quarantine and Interuption is a Go!!

Diane67B

I am in Ontario.  I just received a call from a Manulife representative that as of November 18th, cruises ARE covered, under the CoverMe plan.  There is up to 200 a day for hotel quarantine, 200 a day meals, 500 flight home.  Up to 5 million for covid related medical expenses and more. It is only $32. I am adding it the my non covid insurance from CAA.

• Like 7

Do you happen to know if this will cover you if you become infected on the ship and/or test positive when disembarking?  Our well known national insurance company will not cover any land based costs i.e. quarantine or medical if it relates to Covid contracted on the ship.

4 hours ago, netpj said:

Do you happen to know if this will cover you if you become infected on the ship and/or test positive when disembarking?  Our well known national insurance company will not cover any land based costs i.e. quarantine or medical if it relates to Covid contracted on the ship.

Yes! You are covered if you become positive on the ship. They will pay your quarantine expenses.

The cost of quarantine would pale in comparison to the need for hospitalization due to a severe case of COVID. In the unlikely event that a fully vaccinated person requires to be hospitalized post cruise will Manulife coverage cover that cost?

1 hour ago, mike23 said:

The cost of quarantine would pale in comparison to the need for hospitalization due to a severe case of COVID. In the unlikely event that a fully vaccinated person requires to be hospitalized post cruise will Manulife coverage cover that cost?

You get up to 5 million for medical insurance. They also fly travelling partners home.

Thank you Diane for this GREAT information about Cover Me poliices including cruises now. My wife and I just had the same Cover Me Covid plan for a trip to Milwaukee/Chicago and it appears to be good coverage. Thankful we did not have to use it but peace of mind !!

Stay safe !!

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xcell said:

So if you are travelling with a family of 4 do you buy it for every one or just the one or two?  

If you only insure one or two and something happens to one of the others, then you'd get nothing. It's like owning two cars but only insuring one. If the uninsured one gets into an accident, you'll get nothing from the insurance company.

On the other hand, getting coverage for a family of four will cost you quite a bit less than buying four individual policies.

I’m getting quotes of almost $500 for my DH and myself just for COVID, how did you get only $32, what am I doing wrong.  I don’t have Manulife cover me insurance for anything .  We have trip cancellation and medical with BMO total travel but they don’t cover COVID 

26 minutes ago, schiff1997 said:

I’m getting quotes of almost $500 for my DH and myself just for COVID, how did you get only $32, what am I doing wrong.  I don’t have Manulife cover me insurance for anything .  We have trip cancellation and medical with BMO total travel but they don’t cover COVID 

I am in Ontario. I had called Manulife a couple of weeks ago and they didn’t know what I was talking about. The guy I was talking to, called me back on Monday telling me about the coverage. It will be here on November 18th. I have it for 10 days. It only covers  “covid” related things for the 32 dollars, but I no longer have to worry about having to pay for quarantine, food and flight home if needed. Also, 5 million medical if there was any covid complications is peace of mind too. 

I got CAA for my other interruption insurance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sprdave63 said:

Thank you Diane for this GREAT information about Cover Me poliices including cruises now. My wife and I just had the same Cover Me Covid plan for a trip to Milwaukee/Chicago and it appears to be good coverage. Thankful we did not have to use it but peace of mind !!

Stay safe !!

Cheers,

Dave

You are so welcome!! I can’t tell you what a relief it was to know I would be covered for covid.

9 minutes ago, Diane67B said:

I am in Ontario. I had called Manulife a couple of weeks ago and they didn’t know what I was talking about. The guy I was talking to, called me back on Monday telling me about the coverage. It will be here on November 18th. I have it for 10 days. It only covers  “covid” related things for the 32 dollars, but I no longer have to worry about having to pay for quarantine, food and flight home if needed. Also, 5 million medical if there was any covid complications is peace of mind too. 

I got CAA for my other interruption insurance.

Thanks Diane I will call them directly 

What about being on a cruise ship?  Does Manulife cover you while your on a cruise ship and you catch Covid?  Would Manulife cover your medical expenses, quarantine cost and trip interruption (revised flight home).  Secondly, what happen when you disembark from the ship and get tested and the results shows positive before your flight home?

Ontario Blue Cross makes it very clear on there website that they will cover your medical expenses while on a cruise. Not sure about quarantine cost or trip interruption. 

I just sent an e-mail to Manulife asking about cruise ships. 

28 minutes ago, xcell said:

I thought the cruise lines will cover the quarantine hotel and flight changes...well at least RCCL.

Not Princess Cruise, at least I can’t find it. You are “entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit for missed cruise days, including time in quarantine, for you, your travel party” 

Beside that, your on your own with all other expensive. 

I hoping someone would state I’m wrong and direct me to the website that does say that

27 minutes ago, xcell said:

I thought the cruise lines will cover the quarantine hotel and flight changes...well at least RCCL.

I think that they help cover costs but with extra insurance, everything will be covered. It gives me peace of mind.

44 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

What about being on a cruise ship?  Does Manulife cover you while your on a cruise ship and you catch Covid?  Would Manulife cover your medical expenses, quarantine cost and trip interruption (revised flight home).  Secondly, what happen when you disembark from the ship and get tested and the results shows positive before your flight home?

Ontario Blue Cross makes it very clear on there website that they will cover your medical expenses while on a cruise. Not sure about quarantine cost or trip interruption. 

I just sent an e-mail to Manulife asking about cruise ships. 

Yes, on a cruise ship too. They didn’t cover cruise ships originally because of the travel advisory but on November 18th, cruise ships are covered as well.

6 minutes ago, Diane67B said:

Yes, on a cruise ship too. They didn’t cover cruise ships originally because of the travel advisory but on November 18th, cruise ships are covered as well.

Trusting they will add (cruise) to there website on November 18th and if they do, that a good deal..

• Like 1

From princess site:

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/covid-19-protection-program/

• If you test positive for COVID-19 during your cruise, you will be reimbursed for expenses for COVID-related medical care, including those incurred during any medically required post-disembarkation quarantine period. This includes air change fees if onward travel plans need to change.
  • We’ll designate a Dedicated Family Assistance liaison for care and logistical shoreside support until you or the member of your immediate travel party is medically cleared to travel home.
  • Any shoreside meals will be covered by a daily meal allowance, which you’ll learn about from the family assistance coordinator when you disembark. (No receipts required.)
  • We’ll also offer assistance opening COVID-related insurance claims (for those who are eligible under their insurance policies or travel protection plans).

Can I book my own hotel if I am required to quarantine post-disembarkation before returning home?
Hotel accommodations will be arranged by Princess with one of our contracted hotel partners. Should you select a different hotel, you will be reimbursed only for the amount of the contracted hotel rate. Any incidental charges, costs related to room upgrades and additional room nights in excess of what is provided by Princess, requested or arranged by you, is your responsibility. Princess will provide hotel accommodations until a medical professional clears you to travel home.

This indicates to me that Princess will cover hotel, food, etc. cost (to a certain extent) if you test positive upon disembarking and have to quarantine before heading home.

33 minutes ago, jpom18 said:

From princess site:

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/covid-19-protection-program/

• If you test positive for COVID-19 during your cruise, you will be reimbursed for expenses for COVID-related medical care, including those incurred during any medically required post-disembarkation quarantine period. This includes air change fees if onward travel plans need to change.
  • We’ll designate a Dedicated Family Assistance liaison for care and logistical shoreside support until you or the member of your immediate travel party is medically cleared to travel home.
  • Any shoreside meals will be covered by a daily meal allowance, which you’ll learn about from the family assistance coordinator when you disembark. (No receipts required.)
  • We’ll also offer assistance opening COVID-related insurance claims (for those who are eligible under their insurance policies or travel protection plans).

Can I book my own hotel if I am required to quarantine post-disembarkation before returning home?
Hotel accommodations will be arranged by Princess with one of our contracted hotel partners. Should you select a different hotel, you will be reimbursed only for the amount of the contracted hotel rate. Any incidental charges, costs related to room upgrades and additional room nights in excess of what is provided by Princess, requested or arranged by you, is your responsibility. Princess will provide hotel accommodations until a medical professional clears you to travel home.

This indicates to me that Princess will cover hotel, food, etc. cost (to a certain extent) if you test positive upon disembarking and have to quarantine before heading home.

Thank you. There so much to read these days I must have miss this one.  Now if Manulife state cruises are now covered on there website, I will probably buy there travel insurance through Costco.