Passports Quicker than Expected

erinsmom03

I was cutting it real close with our passport renewals and our next cruise. Granted, it's to the Bahamas and we could use our birth certificates and driver's licenses, but I don't want to carry around our bc's. When we sent in our passports, it said turnaround time was about 16 weeks, and we wouldn't get them back until right before our January 3rd cruise. Especially with mail slow downs and the holidays, I was resigning myself to carrying our old bc's around. 

I logged into check our status today, and the turnaround time has dropped to 8-11 weeks, and even better, the status for both of us has been updated to approved! They say we should expect our passports before Thanksgiving now. Nice!

Just thought I'd share in case others were wondering how long it was taking these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, minimotorin said:

In a similar spot except I leave on Thanksgiving.  Got mine back but wife's still says 'in process'.  Crossing fingers but have BC ready to go.

I hope she gets her soon too! Did you send them at the same time? We did, and ours have the exact same expected delivery date.

I'll add our experience renewing our son's passport. We submitted his passport paperwork at a post office on Oct. 5, and we received his new passport on Nov. 4, with his expired passport and paperwork on Nov. 13.

I'm glad we didn't pay for expedited service! 😉 

2 hours ago, ahughes517 said:

I'll add our experience renewing our son's passport. We submitted his passport paperwork at a post office on Oct. 5, and we received his new passport on Nov. 4, with his expired passport and paperwork on Nov. 13.

I'm glad we didn't pay for expedited service! 😉 

Wow! Ours were submitted at the post office on Aug 25, and we just got them in the mail today!

4 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

I was cutting it real close with our passport renewals and our next cruise. Granted, it's to the Bahamas and we could use our birth certificates and driver's licenses, but I don't want to carry around our bc's. When we sent in our passports, it said turnaround time was about 16 weeks, and we wouldn't get them back until right before our January 3rd cruise. Especially with mail slow downs and the holidays, I was resigning myself to carrying our old bc's around. 

I logged into check our status today, and the turnaround time has dropped to 8-11 weeks, and even better, the status for both of us has been updated to approved! They say we should expect our passports before Thanksgiving now. Nice!

Just thought I'd share in case others were wondering how long it was taking these days.

My husband and i sent ours for renewal at the same time. He got his 3 weeks later (not expedited) and mine took 3 months. 

My husband and i sent ours fir renewal at the same time. His came back in 3 weeks (neither were expedited). Mine took 3 months. Mine also is a little different. The page with my info and photo is hard plastic and has my photo printed twice, one color and one black and white. My husband just is paper and has one color photo. 

15 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

My husband and i sent ours fir renewal at the same time. His came back in 3 weeks (neither were expedited). Mine took 3 months. Mine also is a little different. The page with my info and photo is hard plastic and has my photo printed twice, one color and one black and white. My husband just is paper and has one color photo. 

That is so strange! We just got ours today, and they each only have one picture.

17 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

2 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

That is so strange! We just got ours today, and they each only have one picture.

From what I’ve been reading those are the new generation passport books. My husband recently renewed his and got one of those. They are random and not everyone will get one of those when they renew. Apparently, sometime in the very near future all passports will be issued that way supposed to be more secure. 

On 11/15/2021 at 6:55 PM, erinsmom03 said:

Well that's kind of annoying that I just got a new passport that is good for ten years but will be obsolete soon 😂

It will still be good for 10 years.  They'll just phase them out as they expire.

On 11/15/2021 at 12:55 PM, erinsmom03 said:

How long ago did you mail your applications?   I'm just curious how long it's been between then and when you saw them approved.  We mailed ours on 11/3 - so I'm expecting them some time between 12/29 and 1/19.  Our cruise is March 6th. 

On 11/15/2021 at 6:55 PM, erinsmom03 said:

Well that's kind of annoying that I just got a new passport that is good for ten years but will be obsolete soon 😂

What do you mean by obsolete? Will they be accepting different kind of ID for traveling that I did not hear about? I think  mine expires in 18 months.