NCL Fully Vaccinated, what does this mean for U.K. under 16 yr olds

The_Dolphins

Our daughter U.K. national has had her only vaccination and as a 15yr old is not eligible for another or booster jab as the U.K. does not offer them to 15yr olds at present.

Is she considered "fully vaccinated"  as per Norwegian Cruise Lines requirements.

NCL cruise consultants won't clarify or commit to an answer.

29 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

No she isn't. The NCL requirement is two jabs, and if someone can't have them for whatever reason then they can't cruise with NCL.

Isn't the Jansen also authorized in the UK?  That is a one and done, NCL only requires the a single dose of Janssen (Johnson and Johnson here in the States)

16 minutes ago, VtMac said:

Isn't the Jansen also authorized in the UK?  That is a one and done, NCL only requires the a single dose of Janssen (Johnson and Johnson here in the States)

I'm no expert on this, so I may be wrong, but my understanding is that it has been approved in the UK, but the Government has given away all the Janssen vaccines that they ordered to Covax, so it isn't possible to get it here.

Being the parent of a 12 year old in exactly that same position I totally understand. We've had to cancel a couple of trips because although we are all vaccinated, the 12 year old has only had the one shot that the UK authorised for that age group, yet everywhere seems to consider that child as "unvaccinated". 

It is annoying that there is no way to comply, even if we want to. So yes, fully vaccinated cruises are not currently an option for these kids. Unless the UK government allows them to get that second shot, of course. 

Yeah, it is frustrating, but hopefully it will be resolved soon, at least for 12+

We were in a similar position, but our son is 16, so after yesterdays announcements we now know that he will be able to board at Easter when our next cruise is booked. Previous to that we were just hoping that something would change, but knowing we would have to cancel if it wasn’t sorted before final payment.

I suspect that 12+ will get another jab at some point (probably next year now), so this will likely be sorted for those people soon.

NCL are not showing any flexibility on this (I’m making no comment on whether they should or not), so for now it will only change if the government changes the rules.

36 minutes ago, Gabriele73 said:

What "brand" did she get?

We´re in Germany and my 14yo son got 2 shots of Pfizer/Biontech (Corminaty).

This (and maybe moderna, but I´m not sure) was the only one that was allowed in Germany for kids between 12 and 18.

Under 18’s get Pfizer in the UK, but only one dose. The government announced yesterday that 16 & 17’s can now get their second dose but people under that age can only get one dose unless they are high risk.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Gabriele73 said:

What "brand" did she get?

We´re in Germany and my 14yo son got 2 shots of Pfizer/Biontech (Corminaty).

This (and maybe moderna, but I´m not sure) was the only one that was allowed in Germany for kids between 12 and 18.

It would most likely Pfizer. 

The issue is that Governments decide the number of dosage. In Scotland, if you are between 12 and 15 you will only get one dosage unless there is circumstances saying you need another one. Going on a cruise is not one of them. 16 and 17 years will get 2 dosages. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, claurosani said:

From what I've read, it seems the UK is unique in authorizing only one dose for the 12 - 15 years olds. Not very helpful when traveling!

The real problem is not knowing.

Our son had his first dose very soon after they offered them, which was just over 12 weeks ago. They can now have the second dose 12 weeks after the first, so there is very little delay in him getting the vaccine itself, it’s just that we didn’t know for sure when or if he would get it.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it ends up similar for 12-15’s

The uncertainty doesn’t help with planning though.

12 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

They can now have the second dose 12 weeks after the first

The next challenge is if companies such as NCL will recognize that as being fully vaccinated due to not following the vaccine manufacturer recommendation of 3 weeks between doses.

4 minutes ago, hallux said:

The next challenge is if companies such as NCL will recognize that as being fully vaccinated due to not following the vaccine manufacturer recommendation of 3 weeks between doses.

If that is the case then NCL may as well just close their UK office because they would have zero UK customers.

18 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

I'm no expert on this, so I may be wrong, but my understanding is that it has been approved in the UK, but the Government has given away all the Janssen vaccines that they ordered to Covax, so it isn't possible to get it here.

Wow.  I can't begin to fathom the details of trying to run a global company through all of this, it's tough enough in my small piece of the US.  I wish you all over there the best of luck, hopefully it will shift in our favor soon.

2 hours ago, hallux said:

Isn´t this just a "minumum" requirement between the two doses? Unless all of the non US world wouldn´t be regarded as fully vaccinated.

steamboats

5 hours ago, hallux said:

The next challenge is if companies such as NCL will recognize that as being fully vaccinated due to not following the vaccine manufacturer recommendation of 3 weeks between 

2 hours ago, steamboats said:

Isn´t this just a "minumum" requirement between the two doses? Unless all of the non US world wouldn´t be regarded as fully vaccinated.

steamboats

Yes, it is a minimum requirement. It says (afaik ) up to 8 weeks in Germany. 

We have a NCL cruise booked for July 2022.  My daughter is 9 and not eligible for vaccination per current U.K. protocols therefore won’t be permitted to sail. 

The cruise was booked in September 2020 before vaccines were available. Does anyone know if NCL will refund our deposit if we cancel now? I can’t get a clear answer from their T&Cs. 

2 hours ago, TreacleScone said:

We have a NCL cruise booked for July 2022.  My daughter is 9 and not eligible for vaccination per current U.K. protocols therefore won’t be permitted to sail. 

The cruise was booked in September 2020 before vaccines were available. Does anyone know if NCL will refund our deposit if we cancel now? I can’t get a clear answer from their T&Cs. 

Also keen to know this as we are in exactly the same position.