Can I safely walk from St. Joseph inGros Islet to Reduit Beach?

geri

This question is probably a good one for ReedPrincess!

I would like to take a cab from the cruise port to St. Joseph the Worker Catholic Church when we arrive on a Sunday morning.  It looks like Mass is held there at 10am.  I would then like to walk to Reduit Beach for a swim.  On Google it looks to be about 45 minutes walk, which is an easy walk for us.  What I’d like to know is if this is a safe walk?  Is the area we would walk through a low crime area?  Are there sidewalks we can use or would we have to walk in the road?  Thank You!!

On 11/16/2021 at 10:14 PM, geri said:

This question is probably a good one for ReedPrincess!

I would like to take a cab from the cruise port to St. Joseph the Worker Catholic Church when we arrive on a Sunday morning.  It looks like Mass is held there at 10am.  I would then like to walk to Reduit Beach for a swim.  On Google it looks to be about 45 minutes walk, which is an easy walk for us.  What I’d like to know is if this is a safe walk?  Is the area we would walk through a low crime area?  Are there sidewalks we can use or would we have to walk in the road?  Thank You!!

Is there a particular reason you want to go to Mass in Gros Islet, versus the cathedral in Castries?  Pure curiosity on my part.

Yes, you can walk it - it'll be more like an hour or more, Google maps underestimates the conditions, hills, etc.. There's sidewalks along some of the route and wider areas by the side of the road in others. You'll be walking out of the main town area, the. Along the highway for the majority, and back into the village in RB and down to Reduit Beach area... All of it is public, not through any sketchy areas or such. A taxi would be $12usd crom Gros Islet to Reduit, FWIW..

Safe travels.

Thank you so much for your help ReedPrincess!

We'd love to go to Mass to the Church of the I.C., which also appears to be 10 am in Castries, but here is why I was considering St. Joe's instead.

1.  Walking to I.C. from the port looks to be 20 minutes.  So going there and back to the port (to catch a cab for Reduit Beach) would = a 40 minute walk (about the same as walking directly from St. Joes to Reduit).  

2.  I was also given the impression, from some other websites, that the area surrounding Castries was high crime and two people walking from the port to the church might be inviting trouble.

IC Church looks gorgeous in the pictures and I'd love to celebrate Mass there.  Is the information I was given concerning walking from the port to the church and back wrong ReedPrincess?  Would it be a safe walk?

Thank You!!!!

6 hours ago, geri said:

Thank you so much for your help ReedPrincess!

We'd love to go to Mass to the Church of the I.C., which also appears to be 10 am in Castries, but here is why I was considering St. Joe's instead.

1.  Walking to I.C. from the port looks to be 20 minutes.  So going there and back to the port (to catch a cab for Reduit Beach) would = a 40 minute walk (about the same as walking directly from St. Joes to Reduit).  

2.  I was also given the impression, from some other websites, that the area surrounding Castries was high crime and two people walking from the port to the church might be inviting trouble.

IC Church looks gorgeous in the pictures and I'd love to celebrate Mass there.  Is the information I was given concerning walking from the port to the church and back wrong ReedPrincess?  Would it be a safe walk?

Thank You!!!!

Yes, it would be a safe walk, particularly on a Sunday morning to church. Or take a cab and have them pick you up after $10 one way, if that.  They could then take you straight to Reduit Beach afterwards.  

If you walk, you'll be going by the Castries Market, which is lovely for a stroll through and see all the various produce, spices, crafts, etc.  

Enjoy, whichever you choose...