Obscure Lines That Are Gone

norboy76

Norboy, You really find some obscure things!  So interesting.

Our favorite was Premier Cruises.  We still have lots and lots of their brochures and other keepsakes, plus two bathrobes that were given to us.  Cabin steward insisted that they were for us to take home; I've never been convinced that he understood correctly.

Yesterday I bought a jigsaw puzzle made up of vintage travel posters.  Several ship lines are represented:  Cunard, Hamburg-America Line, and Swedish Lloyd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Yesterday I bought a jigsaw puzzle made up of vintage travel posters.  Several ship lines are represented:  Cunard, Hamburg-America Line, and Swedish Lloyd

Not familiar with Swedish Lloyd, but the other two lines had some excellent travel posters.  Some appear on cruise memorabilia dealer sites.

17 hours ago, norboy76 said:

Compania Trasmediterranea

The photo of this company that you posted shows a funnel arrangement that I thought first appeared on Rotterdam V and was repeated on Rotterdam VI and Amsterdam.  Any clue as to the name of the ship of that company that had that funnel design?  

Compania Trasmediteranea is a Spanish line founded in 1916 and still going. They had a few ships that used that funnel configuration to know which exact ship used this configuration. The ones I can find that had that funnel style were:

Juan March: 1966 - 1985

Santa Cruz De Tenerife: 1966 - 1985

Ciudad de Compostela: 1967 - 1992

Antonio Lazaro: 1968 - 1988

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria: 19667 - 1985

I have a Premier Cruise Line bathrobe and a small shoe shine kit and a nice porcelain model.

The Item showing the Compania Trasmediteranea funnel? that is a box with a bar of soap inside that has never been used from that line, and after all these years, it still has a scent to the soap. I do have one jigsaw puzzle, it has both the Queen Mary 2 and the MV Queen Elizabeth at I think one of the New York Piers. I also have items from various Canadian lines that no longer exist if want to see them?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, norboy76 said:

Compania Trasmediteranea is a Spanish line founded in 1916 and still going. They had a few ships that used that funnel configuration to know which exact ship used this configuration. The ones I can find that had that funnel style were:

Juan March: 1966 - 1985

Santa Cruz De Tenerife: 1966 - 1985

Ciudad de Compostela: 1967 - 1992

Antonio Lazaro: 1968 - 1988

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria: 19667 - 1985

Given the initial years that these vessels went into service, Rotterdam V was the first to have that type of funnel design.  Thank you for your research!

The Item showing the Compania Trasmediteranea funnel? that is a box with a bar of soap inside that has never been used from that line, and after all these years, it still has a scent to the soap.

Impressive that a scent remains!  

I also have items from various Canadian lines that no longer exist if want to see them?

Yes, I would be interested.  

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Given the initial years that these vessels went into service, Rotterdam V was the first to have that type of funnel design.  Thank you for your research!

Impressive that a scent remains!  

Yes, I would be interested.  

I have items for Canada Steamship Lines, Canada Pacific, Georgian Bay Line, Cruise North *the ship in this brochure is the *Lyubov Orlova* (not sure if read the weird story on this ship?). If like nice looking passenger ships, you'll love this *Yacht Bow* on the C.P. Empress Of Japan*. And I'd love to see how the captain explained this to the Canada Pacific Line's owners? (See Princess May Postcard). The colors of the Banff Club Lounge on this C.P. ship. A nice unused make-up compact from the Empress Of Canada.  This next item is a neat find, I found it framed in a broken plastic frame, but the folds confused me until I removed it from the frame cause was worried the breaks would damage the picture, turns out, it wasn't a picture but a *Bar Menu* for the Empress Of Canada dated 1965, hence the folds for it to stand on the tables on the ship (see item with the 2 folds). How about a coat hanger I found in a thrift store, a woman's fur coat was hanging on it, but I saw something on the hanger, so took the coat off an boom, it was a wooden hanger from the *Canada Steamship Lines*, so I asked if they'd take 10 cents for the hanger and now I have it. If get the chance, look up the weird history an fate of the Lyubov Orlova cruise ship on the net. These are a couple of photos of some of my Canadian Lines' items

del9mbg-bc9a03ac-32f2-40e7-bcfd-dfebb5a7f89f.jpg

ss_princess_may_wreck_by_wildelf34_de2rd7d-fullview.jpg

banff_club_by_wildelf34_de07bz5-fullview.jpg

empress_of_canada_compact_by_wildelf34_dcd32qp-fullview.jpg

d8xc45r-8df026b5-d998-46c8-84a5-4de4b609325f.jpg

d8xby8g-db16a314-f3be-457e-8e6d-4699df8d98b3.jpg

canada_steamship_lines_hanger_by_wildelf34_d9z4i82-fullview.jpg

lyubov_orlova_by_wildelf34_dbs8bvs-fullview.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, norboy76 said:

look up the weird history an fate of the Lyubov Orlova cruise ship on the net.

I did.  That's an interesting history.  Based on the emergency signal that she emitted, she probably is sitting on the bottom somewhere of Ireland's west coast.

Are any of the items you showed from the Georgian Bay Line?  My Mother, Brother, and I took a 4 day cruise on the S. S. South American:  Detroit-Buffalo-Cleveland-Detroit.  Took a RT train journey from Columbus to Detroit.  Mother splurged and we were in one of the few Bedrooms on the ship.  Was much nicer than the "regular" cabins.  

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I did.  That's an interesting history.  Based on the emergency signal that she emitted, she probably is sitting on the bottom somewhere of Ireland's west coast.

Are any of the items you showed from the Georgian Bay Line?  My Mother, Brother, and I took a 4 day cruise on the S. S. South American:  Detroit-Buffalo-Cleveland-Detroit.  Took a RT train journey from Columbus to Detroit.  Mother splurged and we were in one of the few Bedrooms on the ship.  Was much nicer than the "regular" cabins.  

I have a souvenir plate for the SS South American, I'm not sure how old the plate is as the SS South American ran from 1914 - 1967. I found this plate at a thrift store. 

d9699nu-f1c93a6b-e97d-413b-bd80-d1c8959de16e.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, norboy76 said:

I have a souvenir plate for the SS South American, I'm not sure how old the plate is as the SS South American ran from 1914 - 1967. I found this plate at a thrift store.

Thanks for the photo.  I really don't remember when I sailed on her.  I am thinking it may have been before I graduated from high school in 1961.  Or before I graduated from college in 1965.  Just don't remember.  

What I do remember is that the dining room was low in the ship and was used for other purposes when it was not a dining room.  The ship had no stabilizers.  We discovered that my Brother was prone, at that age--which changed as he became older--to motion sickness.  There was an "atrium" type in the middle of the ship with cabins on each side on the next deck above that was a public room kind of area.  Outside decks, i.e. Promenade Deck, was very narrow along the sides of the ship.  

We took a shore excursion when the ship docked in Buffalo.  My first visit to Niagara Falls and the Welland Canal.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for the photo.  I really don't remember when I sailed on her.  I am thinking it may have been before I graduated from high school in 1961.  Or before I graduated from college in 1965.  Just don't remember.  

What I do remember is that the dining room was low in the ship and was used for other purposes when it was not a dining room.  The ship had no stabilizers.  We discovered that my Brother was prone, at that age--which changed as he became older--to motion sickness.  There was an "atrium" type in the middle of the ship with cabins on each side on the next deck above that was a public room kind of area.  Outside decks, i.e. Promenade Deck, was very narrow along the sides of the ship.  

We took a shore excursion when the ship docked in Buffalo.  My first visit to Niagara Falls and the Welland Canal.  

She sure had a sad end to her life, sitting many many years rusting away to the point of almost sinking before they finally scrapped her. She sat rotting away sadly from 1968 - 1992, and was in sure deplorable condition, she had to scrapped. Her sister ship sank sadly, the SS North America in 1967 and was finally found in 2006. Was there any other Canadian cruise ships that you an your family sailed on, in case I have items from those ships too?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, norboy76 said:

Was there any other Canadian cruise ships that you an your family sailed on, in case I have items from those ships too?

No, the South American was the only cruise type ship that I have sailed on the Great Lakes.  I have sailed on two passenger/car ferries on Lake Michigan:  the Milwaukee Clipper (during the late 1960's) and the Badger (which is still in operation) just a few years ago.  

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

No, the South American was the only cruise type ship that I have sailed on the Great Lakes.  I have sailed on two passenger/car ferries on Lake Michigan:  the Milwaukee Clipper (during the late 1960's) and the Badger (which is still in operation) just a few years ago.  

I have 3 nice Milwaukee Clipper postcards, but nothing for the Badger. 2 of my Milwaukee Clippers are unused, but the 3rd one is stamped 1952 on the back. Please note the odd thing on the bottom postcard, you'll notice she's out in the water, BUT the 2 side doors are *OPEN*, are they trying to sink her? 

d95lmdd-97431521-900e-415d-a04c-e8e43f8858f2.jpg

milwaukee_clipper_postcard_by_wildelf34_dbvn0xk-fullview.jpg

Edited by norboy76
updated info
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, norboy76 said:

Please note the odd thing on the bottom postcard, you'll notice she's out in the water, BUT the 2 side doors are *OPEN*, are they trying to sink her

LOL!  Both trips that I had on her as well as a RT on the Badger, Lake Michigan was a smooth sail.  The one thing that stands out in my memory about the Clipper is how cold it was.  And, this was a mid-Summer sailing.  I remembered that when I was on the Badger.  Sweater and long pants; with a windbreaker.  I was comfortable, not overdressed.  But, I got off with specks of soot on my outerware and in my hair from the coal that the ship was burning.  Shouldn't have been sitting downwind of the funnel!  

Not sure if know many of the British Lines, but I have some items from many of the lines from there, including a nice lil vintage 1974 Seaspeed Hovercraft made by Matchbox toy. The nice thing is the toy has both the Seaspeed company name and the number too SRN6, this hovercraft ran from 1965 - 1980 I also have a nice plate from a company called the *Isle Of Man Steam Packet Company*, the plate is from between 1908 - 1915. A nice souvenir bell from *Southern Railways* for the SS Invicta that ran for that line from 1945 - 1947. I also have somewhat pathetic looking interior for a First Class cabin from *Canadian Northern Steamships*, drab an boring looking for first class and take note of the weird bed an try to imagine getting into it. You sit down, slide back, rotate, slide back more so you can lay down on it. And a nice postcard for what would end up in disaster and needing rescue sadly in the 1980's, the Imfamous *Townsend Thoreson* Herald Of Free Enterprise ferry which capsized moments after leaving the Belgian port of Zeebrugge on the night of 6 March 1987, killing 193 passengers and crew. (including a photo of the Herald after being raised an towed to be scrapped. 

1974_matchobx_seaspeed_hovercraft_srn6_by_wildelf34_dby5e8f-fullview.jpg

ben_my_chree_plate_by_wildelf34_d94glg1-fullview.jpg

d941hw3-90240b6d-6457-4d27-b2f3-c0fac6c27871.jpg

d8tnqty-6e745575-553b-41b6-b34f-9a6392e64037.jpg

herald_of_free_enterprise_postcard_by_wildelf34_ddfxej1-pre.jpg

Herald_of_Free_Enterprise_after_salvage.jpg

• Like 2