Crutches- what all should we do?

anniepwv

My daughter (16) had a major orthopedic surgery in late Sept and we thought she would be released off crutches by our cruise next week but she has not. I've already alerted the airlines and asked for wheelchair assistance for her but what should I do through Carnival? Hoping someone has dealt with this. She is "walking" with the crutches now and can weight bear now so she's not helpless or anything (and she's been through this surgery on the other hip before so she's proficient with crutching). I think she probably needs some assistance if we're stuck in a long line at check in but I don't know what else she would need. 

We're on Carnival Freedom, Southern Caribbean. 

3 minutes ago, htkodiak said:

You should be able to request assistance at the pier to help with boarding.

I couldn't find somewhere to do that in advance, I wonder if I need to pre-book like we have for the airlines? she really would only need it for long distances or if we're stuck standing a long time. She's a runner/competitive dancer pre-surgery so she's in pretty great shape in general. 

email guestadmin@ccl.com......they will connect you with the Special Services department who will

send you a form to fill out in case there is an emergency while at sea. There are reps at embarkment

who will get her a wheelchair if necessary. I can tell you from experience that that is not a fast way to 

get on; they're aren't as many reps as assisted guests. Same issues with getting off.  If she is an athlete, she'll be better off hobbling her way around..... also be aware that most of your fellow cruisers

will ignore her needs and act as if she isn't there. Been there, got the t-shirt, and got knocked down by

another passenger who had to get into a particular elevator........

• Like 3

1.  You are not required to pre-arrange wheelchair assistance at the port.  It's worth the wait to get it.  The ramps are long and the incline can be steep.

2.  You can also get wheelchair assistance for debarkation.  They will tell you where to go for that on the last night.

3.  I know that she is in great shape, but I don't know if you are new cruisers.  There is a LOT of walking on the ship and in the ports.  It might be worth renting a wheelchair or scooter for her for the trip through scootaround.  

4.  There are wheelchairs on the ship, but the use these only for emergencies.  If you get on board and it is too much for her, you will not have the option to then get a wheelchair.

• Like 1

I would go and buy a transport chair.  You can get one on Amazon by Medline for 125.00 and possibly cheaper elsewhere with research.  It would be cheaper than renting a wheelchair and if you're flying, the airlines do not charge anything if you have it.  A wheelchair can be self propelled, whereas a transport chair needs to be propelled by someone else.

I cruised once with crutches due to a knee injury that occurred days before sailing.  Total stress, but it turned out to be no biggie.  The crew goes above and beyond to help you carry things in the Lido.  Also, at embarkation, a gate agent will grab you and expedite you through the line.  And, don't forget to ask for a special assistance Muster station.  Everyone in that station gets assistance getting to the station.

• Like 1