Was there ever a rule (or guideline) that the Aft Pool was the "quiet" pool?

AlexandNessa

Yes, I am using the euphemism "quiet" as I don't really want to start yet another debate. However, I seem to remember at least from these boards that the aft pool was supposed to be the "adult" pool? Am I imagining this?

I am just asking as if this is or were the case, I have yet to see it enforced on any of my handful of HAL cruises. I am tending to doubt it is the case any more (if it ever was) as last year on the Ryndam an officer had his baby in the aft pool (yes, in diapers).

Please, no debates on "kids on board." I am merely looking for what's supposed to be the "quiet" pool, if there is any such designation.

I have seen it in the directory that is in the cabins. But I wonder how many people actually read them.

And I know that no one enforces the rule about "quietness" or "adults only". Far too oftern we have seen children without parents jumping in the pool and running around. And nothing was ever said to them.

We were on the Ryndam last November. I was talking with a lady that had several children and she said that they were told that the kids were not allowed in the aft pool only the lido. I think she said this was told to them at the "kids" meeting on the first day. The reason one of the officers may have had their child in the aft pool is because the officers are not allowed to use the lido pool. I would much rather see a baby in the pool with a diaper on than without one.

On one hand, since my children, 10 & 13, have a cabin of their own and are charged full price, the same as any adult, they deserve access to all ameneties the law allows, as long as they behave as well as most adults. (They do)

On the other, there ought to be a pool and pool deck area that is more sedate than the other, but that shouldn't be restriced to adults. My daughters like to relax with their iPods or read their books or play cards. They will not yell for the cabana girls, smoke, or display their rolly-polly bodies in 3 size too small bathing suits.

One problem is that the midship pool area is too small to be the all encompassing pool. It should be the aft pool that is open to all and the midship pool restricted to a more sedate atmosphere

On one hand, since my children, 10 & 13, have a cabin of their own and are charged full price, the same as any adult, they deserve access to all ameneties the law allows, as long as they behave as well as most adults.

Um, no, your children don't have a cabin of their own. While HAL won't inquire into your sleeping arrangements, they do require that there be an adult booked into every cabin.

But would you also insist that your 10 and 13 year old be allowed to drink in the piano bar?

My understanding is that the mid ship pool (a.k.a. the Lido Pool) was for the use of all guests. The aft pool was for adults. The reason being that some people like to go for a swim without children playing in the pool. This is not a slap against children, just my understanding of a policy. This was my understanding. At this time of the year there are not too many children on ships as they should be in school.

One problem is that the midship pool area is too small to be the all encompassing pool. It should be the aft pool that is open to all and the midship pool restricted to a more sedate atmosphere

By midship pool, do you mean the Lido pool? If so, I don't understand. At least on the Amsterdam, that is the bigger of the two pools. It is also the one that can be covered and thus would be more accessible during bad weather and when the ship is doing colder weather itineraries. Thus, it would make sense that the Lido pool be the "family" pool ... anyone can use it. The back pool is pretty small and is uncovered. Thus to make that pool the main one would be unfair, as children wouldn't be able to swim if the weather was bad or if it was too cold.

I think this subject has been hashed out pretty thoroughly on some of the other boards. Children pay fare, why shouldn't they have full access to ANY pool? I guess there are pros and cons to that argument, and I think the solution lay in full disclosure by the cruiseline. If only one pool is available for use by children, then the cruiseline needs to make that fact clear in their brochures. This way, if you book a cruise under those conditions, you know going in that only one pool will be available to your children. But, if you aren't aware of that fact, because no mention is made of it in the cruiseline's advertising materials, and you take the kids, and then find that the one pool available to them is crowded and impossible to use, I can understand telling the kids to just go and use the other one. They are fare-paying customers and if they want to swim, why shouldn't they be able to?

From a practical standpoint, I honestly don't think any HAL deck employee is going to chase your kids from any pool. HAL is making a marketing push to families, especially with their larger ships. Do you honestly think any employee is going to deny access to either pool by children on those family-intensive cruises? I doubt it. As long as they are behaving themselves and not bothering other passengers, I'm sure they would be left alone regardless of which pool they chose to use. Especially on itineraries with lots of kids onboard, I'm sure there will be plenty of kids using both pools ... regardless of any posted guidelines. The key is simply good behavior and courtesy all around.

As a sidenote, I used the Amsterdam's Lido pool a total of three times on my recent 30-day cruise. There were no children on that sailing. On every single occasion, I was the only person in the pool. Doesn't seem like many adults do much more than sit around the pool ... not swim in it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hey, I paid for my cruise, so I should have full access to all of the amenities... so... WHY CAN'T I USE CLUB HAL FACILITIES?? :confused: Why are those kids... some of whom paid very low 3rd and 4th rates... getting stuff that's denied to me?

You mave have two hands, Captain Crunch, but I can put the shoe on the other foot:p

Hey, I paid for my cruise, so I should have full access to all of the amenities... so... WHY CAN'T I USE CLUB HAL FACILITIES??

LOL ... we did on the Amsterdam. Had one of our Amsterdam Survivor challenges up in the Oasis ... boy, those kids have a nice area! Lots of sun, big hammocks, a waterfall ... you name it!

Hey, I wanna be able to use it ... and not just on those cruises where there isn't a single child onboard. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

On the other, there ought to be a pool and pool deck area that is more sedate than the other, but that shouldn't be restriced to adults. My daughters like to relax with their iPods or read their books or play cards. They will not yell for the cabana girls, smoke, or display their rolly-polly bodies in 3 size too small bathing suits.

There is - it's the observation deck. Yes, it's up one level from the pool but easily accessible for a quick dip and quiet for iPods, reading and playing cards.

Last Apr on the Oosterdam, we saw a father and son (10 to 12 years old) asked to leave the aft pool area. The adult only pool. Also had a table mate who was 24 traveling with her grandmother. One evening the teens had the night club area booked for a dance and she really wanted to join them as she liked the music being played for the teens more then on the rest of the ship. Yep, she was denied entrance. And she paid full fare legally. It goes both ways.

I believe it is the discretion of the Hotel Manager. Here on the Zaandam there is no sign indicating that the aft pool is for adults only, however I remember the Zuiderdam and Oosterdam having posted signs proclaiming the pool to be adults only.

As for the diapers in the pool, I believe that IS against the HAL policy and I was pretty disgusted to read that an officer had been the one breaking such a rule.

I believe it is the discretion of the Hotel Manager. Here on the Zaandam there is no sign indicating that the aft pool is for adults only, however I remember the Zuiderdam and Oosterdam having posted signs proclaiming the pool to be adults only.

As for the diapers in the pool, I believe that IS against the HAL policy and I was pretty disgusted to read that an officer had been the one breaking such a rule.

Diapers in the pool is an issue of hygiene, and I know they are not allowed in the general pools ... probably on any cruise line. Now, of course, some cruiselines have special spash pools for children and in those swim diapers might be fine.

As for who can use what pools ... children allowed or only adults ... I think that can change ship by ship, cruise by cruise. For example, I've heard on the Princess boards that the aft pool was for adults only. Someone even posted a photo of the sign at that pool indicating such. However, when I cruised on the same ship being discussed in that particular thread ... the Island Princess ... on a cruise that had only a handful of children onboard ... there was no sign indicating that the aft pool was off-limits to children. So, I think it all depends on how many kids are on each sailing. If it's not an overwhelmingly large number, then they are probably allowed in either one of the pools. It's like the situation with the kids' club facilities on HAL. The Oasis is an area set aside for teens. It's beautiful ... lots of sun ... a wonderful retreat. Adults are strictly banned from the area. However, on my Amsterdam cruise last month, the only child onboard was a 2-3 year old ... so adults had free use of the Oasis area. I'm sure that wasn't the case on the cruise before ours ... a 15-day Hawaii holiday sailing when there were probably loads of kids on the boat.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thanks. I thought I wasn't imagining things. However, I have yet to see this enforced on the ZUDM, Oo, Ryndam and we will be sailing the VODM next week. I understand that kids can be excited and love to play in and around the pool, but doesn't do much for tranquility and relaxation when some rambunctious little ones are allowed to scream and jump in the pool, calling for their mom's attention to watch, and my luck has it that I'm always stuck near the mom who screams back, "HONEY, I CAN SEE YOU! THAT WAS GREAT!" Wait 5 seconds. Repeat. I am just hoping to lounge in and around the pool without shouting wee ones and cannonballs.

Having an adult pool is a great idea. Though it has been my expirience that HAL does not actively enforce this rule. Last time on the Oosterdam kids were in the aft pool and someone from the hotel staff came up and informed them that they would have to go to the Lido Pool. He did so very nicely and also explained the rules to the kids parents. I thought he did a very effective and tactful job. I do hope that this continues.

How many time have you seen kids take over a pool with no parental supervision.

We were also on the Ryndam in November and there were children in the aft pool. One girl even had her own raft.

The Oasis has it's own waterfall and pool. Why don't the children use it???? Why can't they let the adults have their own pool? Would they like it if we used their pool (which is very nice). Love their comfy lounge chairs.

All the R and S class ships have the Oasis.

There is usually a sign that says, "No diving." But equally dangerous for those swimming in a pool are the jumpers. A jumper can run and jump right on top of a swimmer, causing injury. It doesn't matter whether a jumper is adult or child; both can cause injury. I wish the sign would read, "No jumping or diving into the pool."

or hearing "MARCO.........POLO" :eek:

HEHEHE

When I was a little boy I used to like to do a single cannon ball dive into the pool and splash as many as I could. :eek:

Yes I was a bad boy... and yes I was spanked:o

Keeping those like I was away from those like I am now is a good thing for both parties.

Um, no, your children don't have a cabin of their own. While HAL won't inquire into your sleeping arrangements, they do require that there be an adult booked into every cabin.

But would you also insist that your 10 and 13 year old be allowed to drink in the piano bar?

Um, well, I did say all the amenities the law allows. Since there will only be 2 in a cabin, 2 cabins with 4 people, even my 10 year old represents a full paid fare. Which was part of my point. A full fare deserves full respect for the privileges of the ship.

My main point was that I do feel there needs to be a quieter pool area, but it should be the midship pool, rather than the aft pool.

There is - it's the observation deck. Yes, it's up one level from the pool but easily accessible for a quick dip and quiet for iPods, reading and playing cards.

Last Apr on the Oosterdam, we saw a father and son (10 to 12 years old) asked to leave the aft pool area. The adult only pool. Also had a table mate who was 24 traveling with her grandmother. One evening the teens had the night club area booked for a dance and she really wanted to join them as she liked the music being played for the teens more then on the rest of the ship. Yep, she was denied entrance. And she paid full fare legally. It goes both ways.

It does go both ways. The instance that HAL is not for just for older folks, yet the constant bashing of children and their parents.

Captain Crunch,

I don't see where anyone is child bashing.

I think KK made an excellent point about the Oasis. It is off limits to adults. Adults pay a full fare so why can't they use it?

Your theory of using the Lido pool for adults only just doesn't work. What happens if it rains? What about cool weather ? The entire area is loud and by no means sedate. There is no way you can change that.

I've been on the Zuiderdam twice...once over spring break. While I had a 10 year old of my own, I spent most of my time by the aft pool. Maybe I'm used to the sound of kids playing, but the aft pool on both trips seemed very sedate and relaxing. The aft pool was considerably smaller than the lido pool, and the kids that were in the aft pool were just swimming...not noisy or rambunctious at all.

Archived