Friends of Bill W. /A.A. Meetings

Markmom18

Hi,

I wanted to mention that Carnival provides a meeting time & location that is listed on the Daily Schedule/Fun Times.

That being said …. It’s totally up to the interested passengers to attend.  

The Meeting is not staffed by Carnival employees.  

My hubby & I are both in A.A. & have attended meetings onboard. We have probably experienced as many ‘no show meetings’  as those attended by just a few members.  But, hey you won’t know unless you go, right?  

I’d suggest, if you show up one day and nobody else is there for a meeting. Just try again the next day.

It only takes 2 people to make a “meeting” 💙📘!

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 8

While AA is a hugely important organization providing incredible support toward the ongoing recovery of many (countless) individuals, and I applaud the cruise line for providing space for the meetings, regardless of attendance. . . I have to wonder if occasionally a newbie shows up expecting an opportunity to win a ship on a stick or something.

I personally (like many) have been affected by a devastating addiction issue close to me, so I know well enough it's nothing to joke about. But I must assume there are occasional awkward (maybe even funny) moments when a stereotypically attired couple waltzes in looking for the fun with big fruity cocktails in hand. We didn't know what the Bill W. meetings meant on our first Carnival cruise in 2017. 

13 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

...... when a stereotypically attired couple waltzes in looking for the fun with big fruity cocktails in hand.

Could be that they're in the right place!!

Good point, maybe a life saving happy accident in disguise. Let us explain while you're really here, Fred and Becky.

5 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Good point, maybe a life saving happy accident in disguise. Let us explain while you're really here, Fred and Becky.

That is funny 🙂

I am a grateful member of Al-Anon and have attended a number of Bill W. meetings onboard. I always state my affiliation and ask if anyone minds if it is an open meeting. I have always received a warm welcome. There have been a couple of times when other people have stated they attend other 12 step affiliations and they were welcomed too. I

• Like 5

We attend numerous 12 Step meetings & a fantastic Big Book Workshop here in our Pasadena area.  Generally speaking most of our friends belong to/attend meetings, marathons, fun fundraisers, dances etc etc of whatever 12 Step “Group” is in front of the name, be it AA or not. Ya see the regulars everywhere ….

And … we have a saying in the rooms …. We Are Not A Glum Lot ! 😁🤣😁🤣

Love my sobriety/Recovery/ &  AA Meetings when vacationing!   If you are reading this thread, please come join your fellows in a meeting on your next cruise. 🙂🥰

🛳🛳

Bobbi

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 9:16 PM, Markmom18 said:

Love my sobriety/Recovery/ &  AA Meetings when vacationing!

I agree. I tell people that visiting other groups is like being a newcomer all over again, except without the hangover. LOL!

With so many groups opening up online venues now, some folks can even take their home group with them when they cruise. 😎

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, HarborHermit said:

I agree. I tell people that visiting other groups is like being a newcomer all over again, except without the hangover. LOL!

With so many groups opening up online venues now, some folks can even take their home group with them when they cruise. 😎

Yes we can!!  My HG is still doing ZOOM Meetings. I finally went back to in person meetings in late September of this year.

Before that I hadn’t been with my friends at all since the 1st Saturday of March 2020.  I think we all started back at our meeting location in June 2021.

Anyway, from March 2020 to September 2021,  I got to travel the world of Sober Recovery Meetings❣️❣️  

Incredible! Definitely  one of the silver linings of this Pandemic for me personally. 💙📘🌌

Bobbi

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 1