Old Folks Issues

mark46

13 hours ago, mark46 said:

Thank you for the comments so far.   

1) The Princess site threatens to eject anyone from the room who cannot prove that they need the accessible room.

I once booked a guarantee.  No need, nor request for any special room.

Princess gave us a handicapped room in a higher category than we booked.

I felt guilty that I might be taking the room from someone who needed it,

but it was princess' choice, not mine.

Now, I read that they could eject me?

Seems rather vindictive!

But, of course, it would be for 'operational reasons'.

🙂

18 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

I have stayed in a mini on the Emerald, and the toilet is close enough to the sink that if you need to you can get a grasp on the sink and pull yourself up. I have permanent balance loss and had no trouble getting into the shower by grabbing the hand bar and then stepping into the tub/shower.

Already mentioned by others.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

9 hours ago, mark46 said:

I strongly agree with iamaqt2.

It is because disabilities aren't noticeable that I started the thread.  If the staff "checks", my has no disability.  Nor do I.  However, we are both over 75.

We do the raiser for the toilet, and grab-bars are important. If we do book a club mini, I think that we would take along a device to make access to the tub/shower easier.   

These cabins were supposed to be accessible, but didn't pass whatever the rules are.

They all have enormous balconies and an accessible bathroom. The shower is huge, no tub.

Caribbean D732-733

Diamond D736-737

Golden D732-733

Grand D732-733

Sapphire D736-737

Star D732-733

You have to book early to snag one.

Before you think someone is misusing the airport service or any other diss Ulithi service please realize that there are many disabilities and many are invisible. Looking at me you would like I am healthy at 58. Not! 32 surgeries, spine is fused, neck is fused, I use a service dog at home, and have POTS which means I can pass out at any time. Yes there are times I use the wheelchair to get on the plane and then walk off the plane. It is my choice! If my body cooperates I will try to do things on my own. If someone lies to gain priority Boarding then who are we to argue. Karma will get them. Believe me if someone healthy would like to change bodies I would more than happily give up my disability status! 

• Like 2

On 11/23/2021 at 7:09 AM, mark46 said:

Tell me about the bathrooms on an Emerald Princess mini-suite.

I am concerned that the toilets are too low and that the tub/shower would be difficult to navigate.  At home we have raised toilets and showers with grab bars. Our tub in walk-in.

Do accessible rooms solve these issues.  Also, when I looked at the Princess site, these rooms seem to be resricted to those with wheelchairs or folks with serious medical needs.  Is that an issue in booking these rooms?  

My suggestion is that you contact the Princess Access Department and ask them your questions and about anything special that you might need.   

An accessible stateroom would definitely solve some of your issues.    If you are considering an accessible stateroom, be aware that they are often booked quickly and early.   

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/?accordion=accessible-cruising

Here's an Emerald accessible stateroom video from John Sage.   He's pointing out things from a wheelchair user's point of view but he does show you the bathroom.  

On 11/23/2021 at 7:09 AM, mark46 said:

Tell me about the bathrooms on an Emerald Princess mini-suite.

I am concerned that the toilets are too low and that the tub/shower would be difficult to navigate.  At home we have raised toilets and showers with grab bars. Our tub in walk-in.

Do accessible rooms solve these issues.  Also, when I looked at the Princess site, these rooms seem to be resricted to those with wheelchairs or folks with serious medical needs.  Is that an issue in booking these rooms?  

My suggestion is that you contact the Princess Access Department and ask them your questions and about anything special that you might need.   

An accessible stateroom would definitely solve some of your issues.    If you are considering an accessible stateroom, be aware that they are often booked quickly and early.   

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/?accordion=accessible-cruising

Here's an Emerald accessible stateroom video from John Sage.   He's pointing out things from a wheelchair user's point of view but he does show you the bathroom.