Covid test in the US for a UK national

mcoler181

21 hours ago, texmex.ferr said:

Thanks for this information, but I'm sure  we require the PCR test according to current legislation and not the antigen test, and we are due to arrive late (20.30) at Miami Airport on 18 April, and travel to Fort Lauderdale to our hotel, and sail on 20th, so the PCR test at Walgreens would be too late, if it takes 2 to 3 days to get the results.    

Maybe Royal will have more options available now that the US has reopened to international travellers, in the coming weeks.

It’s PCR to get into the USA but you can get on ship with either antigen or PCR. By April who knows what the rules will be! 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 4:46 PM, sgmn said:

Thanks for your update. It sounds pretty painless and not too expensive.

Enjoy your cruise and holiday 😎 

You're probably aware the rules changed today that on return you need a pcr test on return instead of LFT

BBC News - Covid: Will there be another lockdown in the UK?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518

Thanks for the information. I’m sure some people who are away at the moment may miss this change. Luckily we received an email from our day 2 test provider informing us of the new rules, and telling us that they would refund the cost of our lateral flow tests, and that their day 2 PCR tests are £48pp so not too bad. I’m going to book them tonight.

• Like 1

Test within 24 hours of arrival now 🤦‍♀️ 
How on earth is that going to work when you have to upload your test results to your flight booking etc…. ?

How can you book seats when you don’t know till literally hours beforehand if you’re negative or not?
How will that work with hotel bookings that you can only cancel up to 24 hrs before travel.

This hasn’t been thought through…

Edited by little britain

5 hours ago, little britain said:

Test within 24 hours of arrival now 🤦‍♀️ 
How on earth is that going to work when you have to upload your test results to your flight booking etc…. ?

How can you book seats when you don’t know till literally hours beforehand if you’re negative or not?
How will that work with hotel bookings that you can only cancel up to 24 hrs before travel.

This hasn’t been thought through…

I agree its not ideal but I guess I would rather a 24 hour lateral flow test as to opposed to a 24 hour PCR, or even worse, having to quarantine on arrival.

I am just having to remind myself that I am lucky to be able to travel and if there are a few inconvenient hoops I have to jump through then so be it. As someone who is an obsessive planner and likes to know exactly what I am doing and when, this really is starting to stress but I just don't want it to take away from the enjoyment of being able to travel.

Just remember in regards to checking in, booking seats etc that everyone on the flight will be in the same situation as you, and try to book your Lateral flow the day before as early as possible. We have booked with LLoyds pharmacy and have managed to get 9am / 9.20 am tests and the results should be with us within 15 mins.

Edited by 38anchor

For those travelling from the UK we got our cruise covid antigen test (ID now) from Walgreens in Miami. We booked it for 7pm, flight was due to land 3:40 but we had a 2 hr delay, so only just made it in time. It’s only a helpful option for those with rental car, as it’s drive through testing, but was very easy and results were back in around 2 hours. We put the hotel and phone number on the online form and then just showed driving licences for id. 
The test was free.

In the Uk we took a repaid antigen test from eurofins in the afternoon before the flight. Results in 30min. There is also express testing at Heathrow T3 for on the day if you can’t test before.

Edited by SarahT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2021 at 11:50 AM, 38anchor said:

I agree its not ideal but I guess I would rather a 24 hour lateral flow test as to opposed to a 24 hour PCR, or even worse, having to quarantine on arrival.

I am just having to remind myself that I am lucky to be able to travel and if there are a few inconvenient hoops I have to jump through then so be it. As someone who is an obsessive planner and likes to know exactly what I am doing and when, this really is starting to stress but I just don't want it to take away from the enjoyment of being able to travel.

Just remember in regards to checking in, booking seats etc that everyone on the flight will be in the same situation as you, and try to book your Lateral flow the day before as early as possible. We have booked with LLoyds pharmacy and have managed to get 9am / 9.20 am tests and the results should be with us within 15 mins.

Hi -just to verify it says "You will need to have taken this test no more than 24 hours before your flight to the US departs".....  our flight leaves at 12.10 so will book an appt for 12:15 the day before! 

Agree with you about how nice it is to have everything planned... alas no more! 

On 12/4/2021 at 4:54 PM, little britain said:

Hi -just to verify it says "You will need to have taken this test no more than 24 hours before your flight to the US departs".....  our flight leaves at 12.10 so will book an appt for 12:15 the day before! 

Agree with you about how nice it is to have everything planned... alas no more! 

Glad you posted this - we have our 24 hour tests booked at Lloyds pharmacy at 9am the day before we fly. Now... we have connecting flights. Our initial flight MAN > LHR is actually 6am BUT our LHR > EWR flight isn't until 10.45 sooooooo I am thinking that just in case the connecting flight isn't taken into account, we should change our Lloyds text to midday. Cheers x

Edited by 38anchor

1 hour ago, 38anchor said:

Glad you posted this - we have our 24 hour tests booked at Lloyds pharmacy at 9am the day before we fly. Now... we have connecting flights. Our initial flight MAN > LHR is actually 6am BUT our LHR > EWR flight isn't until 10.45 sooooooo I am thinking that just in case the connecting flight isn't taken into account, we should change our Lloyds text to midday. Cheers x

If your itinerary has you arriving to the US via one or more connecting flights, your test can be taken within 1 day before the departure of the first flight.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html#anchor_1635127083

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1