Covid test in the US for a UK national

mcoler181

You can schedule a test at CVS two weeks in advance, Walgreens one week in advance. I would get the proctored at home kit though, just in case. I have heard of people getting their test appointments canceled last minute. 

6 minutes ago, Jenna said:

You can schedule a test at CVS two weeks in advance, Walgreens one week in advance. I would get the proctored at home kit though, just in case. I have heard of people getting their test appointments canceled last minute. 

FYI UK citizens cannot access the CVS website! 

16 hours ago, mcoler181 said:

Hi all,

Havent really planned this well but fly in on a Monday and sail on the Thursday.

Where would is be possible to get a covid test once in the US (Orlandlo)?

Would we be able to go to CVS or Walgreens, somewhere like that?

You could always go back to the Orlando Airport and get it done.

You could try ordering a postal test to arrive at your home in the UK prior to departure and take the test in the US. You would need to ensure it was from a provider that did not require returning the sample via post - obviously! - but confirmed the result from uploading pictures of results and ID to their portal.

Full disclosure - I haven't done this as my travel timings were such that it was unnecessary but this was my back up plan. I have taken such a test (UK day 2 testing - but similar available for international travel) and received confirmation of negative result via email a day later. Not sure I would have this as my only option but possibly a back up, just in case all else fails.

Edited by DiWilliams
correction

I'm on Symphony 18th and 23rd Dec. My flight gets in from LHR at around 5pm.

Rather than try and get one as soon as I arrive, I opted for getting tested before I board. At $105 it isn't the cheapest option but it's the best for me. I booked 11am and the result takes around an hour.

I could have had a test in Edinburgh before I leave but I still have to pay for it.

This is the email I got;

spacer.gif
There are now more ways to complete your COVID-19 pre-cruise test. We’ve partnered with various providers to help satisfy this CDC requirement. Whichever option you choose, keep in mind that pre-cruise testing costs are guests' responsibility and are paid directly to the provider. Visit RoyalCaribbean.com/Health to learn more about testing and travel requirements for your cruise.

NOTE: These test options are for guests in the U.S. — international guests can use them only once they have arrived in the U.S. 
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
👍👍👍👍👍 Test anywhere with At-Home Kits
  • Pros: Order a kit and complete your video-supervised test right at home. Results in as little as 15 minutes.
  • Cons: For vaccinated guests only. We recommend ordering a week before you need it. Only ships within U.S.
  • Price: 2 tests for $69.99 USD; 3 tests for $99.99 USD.

The Verdict: Great option. Fast results, flexible, works with your schedule. Order your test kit at RoyalCaribbean.com/HomeTestKit
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
👍👍👍👍 Go with your own local test provider
  • Pros: Secure test at local pharmacy, lab, public test site, or doctor's office. Available to guests 2 years & older. 
  • Cons: Can be hard to find. Results could be delayed.
  • Price: Usually free.

The Verdict: Cost effective and you'll know your results before traveling to your cruise. See what types of tests are accepted.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
👍👍👍 Boarding Day Test at port (Limited Capacity) 
  • Pros: A last option if you simply can't find a pre-cruise test or could not secure results in time.
  • Cons: For vaccinated guests only. Limited availability by appointment only. Wait up to an hour for results outside of terminal. Positive result unknown until boarding day.
  • Price: Starts at $99 USD per person.

The Verdict: Search out other options first, and if no luck, schedule your appointment 30 minutes prior to sailing check-in time, 24 hours in advance.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, little britain said:

FYI UK citizens cannot access the CVS website! 

Can’t access it or utilize it? I believe it’s the latter. Try entering the address info of the place you are staying in the Orlando area. 

On 11/23/2021 at 11:58 AM, mcoler181 said:

Hi all,

Havent really planned this well but fly in on a Monday and sail on the Thursday.

Where would is be possible to get a covid test once in the US (Orlandlo)?

Would we be able to go to CVS or Walgreens, somewhere like that?

I’m in Orlando now, and had this same problem.

This was/is my experience:

CVS - To get a free test you need to have US health insurance, or show Florida State ID, otherwise $139 per test (I know some Americans haven’t had to show anything, and some Brits have managed a free test somehow, but the above is per their website)

Walgreens - Free drive through COVID tests advertised, but we don’t have a car, so didn’t investigate further.

Home Royal Caribbean proctored Binox Test - Appears to require an APP that I can’t find in my APP store. Plus we are staying in a huge hotel, so a little worried about delivery.

UK Proctored Test to bring to US - I contacted a provider “Testing for All”, who stated their tests were only for use in the UK. Didn’t investigate further.

We have therefore booked an Antigen test at MCO at 9.30am on the day of our cruise. It is $65 per test, and the results are given in hard copy after approximately half an hour (I asked when we arrived in Orlando).

Hopefully we will successfully receive our tests on Sunday prior to catching the GoPort bus to Port Canaveral 🤞

I may have made some wrong assumptions, or misunderstood things re above, so apologies if that the case. But the best option for us did appear to be the airport.

• Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Notts1964 said:

CVS - To get a free test you need to have US health insurance, or show Florida State ID, otherwise $139 per test (I know some Americans haven’t had to show anything, and some Brits have managed a free test somehow, but the above is per their website)

Walgreens - Free drive through COVID tests advertised, but we don’t have a car, so didn’t investigate further.

Home Royal Caribbean proctored Binox Test - Appears to require an APP that I can’t find in my APP store. Plus we are staying in a huge hotel, so a little worried about delivery.

UK Proctored Test to bring to US - I contacted a provider “Testing for All”, who stated their tests were only for use in the UK. Didn’t investigate further.

We have therefore booked an Antigen test at MCO at 9.30am on the day of our cruise. It is $65 per test, and the results are given in hard copy after approximately half an hour (I asked when we arrived in Orlando).

Hopefully we will successfully receive our tests on Sunday prior to catching the GoPort bus to Port Canaveral 🤞

I may have made some wrong assumptions, or misunderstood things re above, so apologies if that the case. But the best option for us did appear to be the airport.

Thanks for the detailed response.

You can use Uber or a taxi to do the Walgreens drive through test. I believe the Uber app, when you book a round trip ride to the Walgreens has a "is this for a covid test" check box of some sort to use.

You can also look at BeeperMD, they will come to your hotel to do the test but I have heard they are very overwhelmed with testing recently and it would be good to have a back up if you plan on that. 

It's all quite complicated to get organised depending on your timings and length of stay prior to your cruise!!!!

We're taking our "Oasis of the Seas" lateral flow tests at Heathrow on the Friday we fly to Miami and those will be good for boarding the ship on the Sunday.  I've also arranged for another 2 tests to be done from home on the Wednesday so we have everything in place to get checked in online before flying from Edinburgh to London on the Thursday.  Also now got our Day 2 test arranged for our return!!!!

My AirBNB host kindly contacted her local Walgreens (Sarasota) for me:

Spoke with the pharmacist at Walgreens.
All tests are free even if you are international guests.
They do two types of antigen tests.
1. Rapid test...
You get results emailed to you within 24 hours.
2. PCR test. Your test sent out to lab and you get results within two to three days by email.
You will need to find out from cruise line which type of test they require.
Then you will need to go on Walgreens website and book date for your test.

Edited by little britain

19 hours ago, little britain said:

My AirBNB host kindly contacted her local Walgreens (Sarasota) for me:

Spoke with the pharmacist at Walgreens.
All tests are free even if you are international guests.
They do two types of antigen tests.
1. Rapid test...
You get results emailed to you within 24 hours.
2. PCR test. Your test sent out to lab and you get results within two to three days by email.
You will need to find out from cruise line which type of test they require.
Then you will need to go on Walgreens website and book date for your test.

@texmex.ferr fyi

• Like 1

3 hours ago, little britain said:

Thanks for this information, but I'm sure  we require the PCR test according to current legislation and not the antigen test, and we are due to arrive late (20.30) at Miami Airport on 18 April, and travel to Fort Lauderdale to our hotel, and sail on 20th, so the PCR test at Walgreens would be too late, if it takes 2 to 3 days to get the results.    

Maybe Royal will have more options available now that the US has reopened to international travellers, in the coming weeks.

2 hours ago, texmex.ferr said:

Thanks for this information, but I'm sure  we require the PCR test according to current legislation and not the antigen test, and we are due to arrive late (20.30) at Miami Airport on 18 April, and travel to Fort Lauderdale to our hotel, and sail on 20th, so the PCR test at Walgreens would be too late, if it takes 2 to 3 days to get the results.    

Maybe Royal will have more options available now that the US has reopened to international travellers, in the coming weeks.

If you are only speaking of getting on a ship, the antigen test is all that's needed. If it's more than that, the ID NOW test is a PCR test and results are available in 24 hours 

From the Walgreens FAQs:

What is the difference between the types of drive-thru COVID-19 tests offered by Walgreens?

We offer three types of COVID-19 tests:

1. Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR): The RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel Test - (NAAT) is used to detect genetic material (mRNA) of the coronavirus and will be sent to a laboratory for testing. Most turnaround times in 48 hours or less (varies based on location).
  2. Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material (mRNA) of the virus. The test is performed on-site, and results are available within 24 hours.
  3. Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW): Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) Test - Antigen (BinaxNOW) is an antigen test that detects the presence of a specific viral antigen. The test is performed on-site, and results are available within one hour. These tests measure current viral infection and help determine if an individual is actively infected with COVID-19 and can spread it to others. A follow-up diagnostic test may be required to confirm a positive result.
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 11:40 AM, Notts1964 said:

Just wanted to follow up.

Our tests were efficiently and successfully carried out at 9.30am this morning at MCO airport. There is a queue one side for reservations (1 person in front of us), and a queue for walk ups (quite long) so I would recommend booking, if you want your pre cruise test there. The results were given in hard copy after 25 minutes.

We then caught the GoPort bus to Port Canaveral (would also recommend).

We are now relaxing in our cabin 😊

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Notts1964 said:

Just wanted to follow up.

Our tests were efficiently and successfully carried out at 9.30am this morning at MCO airport. There is a queue one side for reservations (1 person in front of us), and a queue for walk ups (quite long) so I would recommend booking, if you want your pre cruise test there. The results were given in hard copy after 25 minutes.

We then caught the GoPort bus to Port Canaveral (would also recommend).

We are now relaxing in our cabin 😊

Thanks for your update. It sounds pretty painless and not too expensive.

Enjoy your cruise and holiday 😎 

You're probably aware the rules changed today that on return you need a pcr test on return instead of LFT

BBC News - Covid: Will there be another lockdown in the UK?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518

• Like 1