Anyone sailed the NYC to Canada cruises in thr summer???

CTMak

Am thinking of doing the 4 or 5 nighter from NYC up to Canada this summer. Actually trying to do a family reunion thing -- most of the family is in the NY area so no flights involved.

Just curious as to the "vibe." Older crowd? Younger? More or less subdued than the traditional Caribbean sailings?

If any of you have done this itinerary -- and thoughts, comments, insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

CTMak

I sailed the last week of August. The crowd had all ages but was a lot quiter at night and on the pool deck. I enjoyed the meals, shows and activities just as much as my others. I like the 2 ports, although I enjoyed St. John more so than Hlaifax. Others have the opposite opinion. It is a cruise I was happy to sail once but I would probably not go again. We were upgraded from a window to a balcony. I would not outright pay for the balcony on this cruise. For one the weather is pretty foggy and the entire balcony would be wet and usually not dry. We were unable to dsail with our balcony door at night because it would steam up the room. We used the balcony to get a few moments fresh air but that was all. If you have more specific questions, I will try to help.

We sailed on Victory end of June 2004 - five day. I agree with Renee that it is quieter at night than a Caribbean sailing, but the age demographics were the same on both our cruises. Lots of kids on both. When we sailed, the fog wasn't a constant; it came and went. We actually used our balcony a lot, and I especially enjoyed being able to wake up early the morning we returned to New York and just go out on the balcony to watch as we sailed up the Hudson. Sailing from New York is really an experience.

I did the 5 day a few yrs ago over the 4th of July Holiday. I agree with the others. Same age groups, and much quieter at night. As for the fog, I noticed it mostly at night. I didn't have a balcony, but when I went out on deck to look around during the sea days, I didn't notice more condensation on surfaces. At night, I could tell there was more condensation on surfaces. Overall, it was a fun cruise though. Nothing like the party ports of the Carribbean however.

Sailing from New York is really an experience.

I understand you have to "duck" when you sail under the Verazzano-Narrows bridge.

Thanks for the insight. If we do the family reunion thing it will be the first cruise for many of the family. So I was wondering about the "experience" of the Canada cruise.

CTMak

I understand you have to "duck" when you sail under the Verazzano-Narrows bridge.

Thanks for the insight. If we do the family reunion thing it will be the first cruise for many of the family. So I was wondering about the "experience" of the Canada cruise.

CTMak

This was our first cruise. I did the booking; DH wasn't sure whether he'd like it. After we returned, he booked the Conquest cruise with very little input from me - he was hooked! I think the five-night is a good first cruise - it's long enough that you get a good feel for cruising.

My wife and I went in Mid July 2004. Weather was great, but the staff stated that this was the first of the year that didn't have lots of fog. We are going again this year but with the kids. Price is the main factor, only a 6 hr drive, but also showing the kids NY city is a plus (spending a day in the city before the cruise). June has the lowest price, but we aren't concerned about the weather just the fun for the kids. When we went in 04 half the ship was booked by a insurance convention, so there wasn't many kids. I don't think that is the norm. Parking is $24 a day so carpool. Our next cruise will be something different. Not that we didn't/don't enjoy this one, but just for the change. Good luck.

George:

Parking in NY is outrageous, I know. Is there parking right at the docks? $24 a day, well -- welcome to NY. That's about what it costs to park at the airports (though long term parking at JFK is about $15 a day).

I guess my question is: would you recommend the cruise in my situation -- family reunion, a fair amount of first time cruisers, teens to grandparents. I hearing yes. But, let me know.

Thanks again

CTMak

Yes the $24 a day is on the top deck of the pier. Full payment due upon entering. Cash or Traveler's Checks.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_directions_transportations.aspx#newyork

It depends on who you're going with. The good thing is the cost savings. If someone has a bad time it didn't cost them airfare. We liked it enough to go back with the kids again this year. You don't get warm beaches or sun tans, but I would guess that ship is the same anyware. It's about what you make of it. Unless there is a fluck, I don't think you'll get spring breakers, so a family reunion would be great.

We sailed the 4 day last June 23rd. We had an absolute blast, had the best tablemates and just partied and relaxed.

We arrived into Halifax with temperatures at 36 C or 98 F! Halifax is not used to those temps, and we laughed watching people leaving the ship with sweaters and sweatshirts!

There was a pure mix of kids-older folks. Everyone just had a blast.

The only downfall was the fog that set in once we left Halifax heading back to NYC.

I think it would make a great family getaway. Nice to leave from a home port too. We were glad to only have a 7 hour drive to get there.:)

I agree that this cruise was quiter at night on deck. We sailed the Victory in July. It was hot! I remember embarkation in NYC. I was one of the first people in the pool because it was so hot! All of our cruises are a type of family reunion in that my 2 DD and I meet my Mom and sail together. I'd vote "Yes" on your idea. You have no airfare, don't really need a balcony - the ports aren't that spectacular "view wise." You can get away (pun intended) fairly cheaply - especially if you take the 2 port option.

During the day it was not so quiet. On deck we had a steel drum band (?), maybe they had to stay on a few weeks as Victory came north - and the longest conga line ever!

Fog - yeah, lots of it at sea, but port was fine.

As for excursions - in St. John do the reversing falls jet boat ride - in Halifax do NOT do a sailing on Mar II, plainly boring, but DO a Harbour Hopper tour (ribbet, ribbet)!

I can send you some pictures if you like, but cannot figure out how to get them to post on this board.

I am so glad I saw this post. We are thinking of doing the July1, 5 day sailing. I was concerned about the ports but as I live near Cape Cod am not concerned about weather.

We weren't thinking of cruising this year, but the price is great for that week and no flying. We are about a 4 hour drive from NYC. I too thought the parking fee was high. However what we are saving in flying I will gladly pay it. Where exactly do you park in relation to the terminal???? For example in Tampa I see the parking is across the street. I am hearing in NYC on rooftop what does that mean?

We are taking our kids also 13 and 7. They love Carnival!

We did it last August just my dh and I... Loved it.. Had a great time.

We usually cruise with a group of family and friends 40 to 90 people so it was

cool just being the two of us.

We maxed and relaxed!!!

Oh my you have to go to the TOP HIGHEST Deck when you go under this

bridge... IT WAS AMAZING.. You felt like you where going to take it off.

I could NOT BELIEVE that we went under this bridge.

I had read about the bridge but didn't tell my hubby. He was

like WOW... It was amazing..

It was a great little cruise..

The Fog leaving was crazy. We had a balcony and when you walked

out side it was a WALL OF FOG. For hours. All you could hear was

Our fog horn every 15 to 20 secs... BLOWING!!!! It was scary but truly very cool.

Where exactly do you park in relation to the terminal???? For example in Tampa I see the parking is across the street. I am hearing in NYC on rooftop what does that mean?

!

You park on the pier, right next to the ship. It may be pricey, but the only way it would get better is if you parked on the ship itself. :D

Here's a good site for information:

http://www.nycruiseterminal.com/info.cfm

They say that parking is never an issue but I'm looking into city parking as a backup. It's actually a little cheaper, but you have to walk a couple of blocks.

http://www.weparknewyork.com/index.asp

Go to this website and you can get a guarantee rate for the days you're on the cruise. It's not a reservation just a guarenteed rate, so if you do park on the pier you lose nothing. They have parking at 49th & 10th and 51th & 10th. Both only a couple of block from the pier. If parking isn't available on the pier I'll drop the wife and kids off with the bags and make the walk myself. Jun12 thru Jun17 comes to $117.00. not bad. The pier would be $144.00. Both prices include tax. Good luck.

I didn't use the parking last time I cruised out of NY, we had family that lived in the area then. Most websites tell you to drop your bags off then circle back around to parking. The first link I posted shows the layout of the pier. I do remember that almost everyone coming down the elevators had their bags and checked them once the got downstairs.

I'd recommend dropping off bags at the curb with the porter before parking. We later found out you're not supposed to take suitcases on the escalators. Parking was relatively easy. We did wind up one pier over from where the ship was, but the ship didn't dock in the same slip when we returned anyway.

I am so glad I saw this post. We are thinking of doing the July1, 5 day sailing. I was concerned about the ports but as I live near Cape Cod am not concerned about weather.

We weren't thinking of cruising this year, but the price is great for that week and no flying. We are about a 4 hour drive from NYC. I too thought the parking fee was high. However what we are saving in flying I will gladly pay it. Where exactly do you park in relation to the terminal???? For example in Tampa I see the parking is across the street. I am hearing in NYC on rooftop what does that mean?

We are taking our kids also 13 and 7. They love Carnival!

go to the NCL website, and check out the Dawn web cam when she is in port. You'll see the rooftop parking - basically outdoors above the piers.

I think it is a great idea for your family reunion. Just be prepared for the possibility of really cold/wet/foggy weather, even in late July/early Aug. Can be a bit of a damper but if you have a large group you'll no doubt have fun, relying less on the sun ... (perhaps!)

My family has done the New York to Halifax/St. John cruise twice and both times we had a great time. Since we are from the Albany, NY area we got a good deal on a bus down to the pier and back plus the cruise. It was a five day one so for the price it was cheaper than going to the cape for five days for just the price of a hotel alone on the ocean at the cape. We had a great time, food was good both times and the entertainment on Carnival can't be beat. We went mid July and the end of August. It was very foggy at night on the one cruise and there is little or no scenery with the exception of freighters. When you get to Halifax and St. John the people are very nice and friendly but there is little to do in either town. If the price is right, just go for the cruise and enjoy everything the cruise has to offer.

Water Lilly - I live in Greene County and work in downtown Albany. I'm not a big bus fan, so we drove. Thought about the train, but Amtrak limits luggage now. We liked the ports on this cruise, but I'd agree that the onboard experience is worth the price!

Archived