Magnifica cruise UK from Southampton to northern ports January 4th 2022

ellie1145

On 12/1/2021 at 1:10 AM, Bgcruising said:

Thanks, but also it says that if you are leaving within 2 days you dont need the test but need to schedule it anyway. I'll be leaving the day after I arrive.

Please Read: COVID-related Discufollowing is the uk site for cruises 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-cruise-ship-travel

COVID-19 testing after arrival in the UK

Most people arriving in the UK need to take one or more COVID-19 tests after they arrive.

You do not need to take a take a COVID-19 test after you arrive in the UK if all the following apply:

• you arrive as a passenger on a cruise ship
  • you stay in the UK for less than 48 hours
  • you leave on the same cruise ship that you arrived on

If you will stay in England for 48 hours or more, check the guidance for people travelling to England from abroad.

You also do not need to book or take COVID-19 travel tests if you are on a domestic cruise that only calls at ports in the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

This was on another thread, from the UK Gov, advise specifically for cruising. Which confirms if you're leaving on a cruise within 48 hours the test isn't required. That's this week's advise anyway 🙄🤔

9 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Please Read: COVID-related Discufollowing is the uk site for cruises 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-cruise-ship-travel

COVID-19 testing after arrival in the UK

Most people arriving in the UK need to take one or more COVID-19 tests after they arrive.

You do not need to take a take a COVID-19 test after you arrive in the UK if all the following apply:

• you arrive as a passenger on a cruise ship
  • you stay in the UK for less than 48 hours
  • you leave on the same cruise ship that you arrived on

If you will stay in England for 48 hours or more, check the guidance for people travelling to England from abroad.

You also do not need to book or take COVID-19 travel tests if you are on a domestic cruise that only calls at ports in the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

This was on another thread, from the UK Gov, advise specifically for cruising. Which confirms if you're leaving on a cruise within 48 hours the test isn't required. That's this week's advise anyway 🙄🤔

Thanks for trying, but I am not arriving by ship. I am arriving by plane. This will apply to only my return from the cruise. 

But to your point, I might as well wait until about a week before the cruise to figure it out as things will certainly change.

6 hours ago, Bgcruising said:

Thanks for trying, but I am not arriving by ship. I am arriving by plane. This will apply to only my return from the cruise. 

But to your point, I might as well wait until about a week before the cruise to figure it out as things will certainly change.

Apologies, hadn't read that properly in my excitement that it might be helpful 😀 All 3 must apply not just "if you stay less than 48 hours" - of course, it's for passengers arriving by ship, doh! 🙄

Things do seem to be evolving for travel at this time. Travel is starting to become a mine field again, just when we had all thought things were settling down. 

• Like 1

We have been told that we must take a government approved lateral flow test with us onboard in order to do the test before we return to the U.K.  MSC apparently do not provide this.  We will also have to upload the test result onto the website and then include this information on the PLF. So we will need internet access.

Things here are developing rapidly and talk of lockdown is increasing so who knows what will happen before January?

But you certainly need to keep on top of rapidly changing requirements for testing before returning to the U.K.

We have everything crossed as we are so looking forward to this cruise.

Edited by ellie1145

2 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

We have been told that we must take a government approved lateral flow test with us onboard in order to do the test before we return to the U.K.  MSC apparently do not provide this.  We will also have to upload the test result onto the website and then include this information on the PLF. So we will need internet access.

Things here are developing rapidly and talk of lockdown is increasing so who knows what will happen before January?

But you certainly need to keep on top of rapidly changing requirements for testing before returning to the U.K.

We have everything crossed as we are so looking forward to this cruise.

Wow we were really lucky then that Msc did our tests but they had no option really as the rules changed while in Hamburg. So have you now got to pay for pcr before and LFT and then another pcr when you get back? 

Fingers crossed for you and I hope there is no lockdown. I hope you enjoy the cruise as much as we did. 

37 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Wow we were really lucky then that Msc did our tests but they had no option really as the rules changed while in Hamburg. So have you now got to pay for pcr before and LFT and then another pcr when you get back? 

Fingers crossed for you and I hope there is no lockdown. I hope you enjoy the cruise as much as we did. 

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that you can get an LFT done on board for €25. It was my intention to do that for the re-entry test if MSC were no longer providing the free tests. As you say Suzanne, they had no option with yours as the rules changed mid sailing. I’m not sure though if their LFTs would be classed as government approved if what the previous poster has stated is correct 🤷‍♀️

2 hours ago, CaroleC said:

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that you can get an LFT done on board for €25. It was my intention to do that for the re-entry test if MSC were no longer providing the free tests. As you say Suzanne, they had no option with yours as the rules changed mid sailing. I’m not sure though if their LFTs would be classed as government approved if what the previous poster has stated is correct 🤷‍♀️

Hi Carol yes it does I've just checked and copied on here from website

For all sailings in the upcoming months, to ensure the highest standards of health and safety and allow a safe return home to our Guests in compliance with national regulations, MSC Cruises has organized the possibility for its guests to purchase and perform a molecular test (i.e RT-PCR) or an antigen test during their cruise.

The molecular test will be charged 80 euros per person. The tests will be organized to comply with the 48h or 72h test validity to return to your country according to your national regulations. The antigenic test is always available for 25 euros per person. These tests do not substitute the complimentary covid tests performed on board to comply with our comprehensive health and safety protocol. Our onboard tests are only to facilitate your return to the UK. It refers to the first requirement as per the UK regulations released on 7th December:

Then it says on another page

For current sailings and until further notice, please note that all residents in the UK returning to England from any cruise destinations will need to follow all of these requirements:  

• All guests (aged 12 and over) will need to provide proof of a negative PCR or LFD (antigen) COVID-19 test taken within 2 days of returnto the UK,
  • All guests must complete a passenger locator form (PLF)
  • Book a PCR test to take on or before day 2 after returning to England.
  • Self-isolate on arrival and until the result of your day 2 test is known. Guests may only leave self-isolation if the test is negative as per the UK government guidelines.

A nightmare now for anyone now cruising. 

We are off to go an get our 2 day PCR return test now fingers crossed all is well. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 5:04 PM, Cruiseforever11 said:

A nightmare now for anyone now cruising. 

You sure are right. It’s a nightmare in so many ways.

We have booked our pre-cruise Covid test, and have 2 more to pay for. The cost is mounting up.

17 countries have now banned British tourists from entering, and whilst Europe has not yet followed suit, the rapid infection rate of Omicron may well lead to them also refusing us entry. We certainly don’t want to be stuck on a ship to nowhere for a week, so could face a difficult  situation. 

We booked this cruise with friends one day before the Omicron variant reared its ugly head. There is no way we would have booked had we know about it. We have enjoyed 5 fantastic cruises since August with no fears, but this is certainly a worry.

We just hope that people will get their boosters asap, and that it will shock the non- vaccinated to put aside their fears. 

We are ‘watching this space!’

• Like 1

Things are moving rapidly, here in the U.K.

Well France has banned Brits from France from Saturday - mind you, they’ve probably been just waiting for an excuse! 🤣🤣🤣

It is possible that other EU countries will follow suit.

So that is the first of our ports which will be cancelled.  We just hope that we don’t end up trapped on a ship for 7 days with no ports, as that definitely would not have been our choice, as it would be way too dangerous and foolhardy. 

🙀😷

1 minute ago, kernow said:

With all the uncertainty at the moment we decided to move our Feb Magnifica cruise to Virtuosa in May. Sorry to be missing the cruise but hopefully things maybe a bit calmer by then.

Hi ya I'm hoping so too. Which date have you booked in May? We going on the 1st. I feel for Carol (and anyone who due to cruise in the next couple of weeks) she is cruising to see the new year in and now the French have banned us and pcr and lft test shortages all over the place. I have a horrible feeling we going to be put into lockdown after Xmas but I'm really hoping we're not. It doesn't help anyone all this stop start uncertainty. 

1 hour ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Hi ya I'm hoping so too. Which date have you booked in May? We going on the 1st. I feel for Carol (and anyone who due to cruise in the next couple of weeks) she is cruising to see the new year in and now the French have banned us and pcr and lft test shortages all over the place. I have a horrible feeling we going to be put into lockdown after Xmas but I'm really hoping we're not. It doesn't help anyone all this stop start uncertainty. 

We've booked the 13th, never done the Fjords before and have always wanted to, pleased to be going back on Virtuosa again too.

I think you're right about another lockdown, even if not a full one certainly more restrictive measures to try and save the NHS. I hope those still booked on Magnifica get to go.

Well things have changed again.

France won’t let us in (no surprises there!🐟🐠🐡) so that’s Le Havre gone.

Netherlands is in a 4 week lockdown so no shops, restaurants, cafes, etc will be open) so that’s our Amsterdam port knocked out.

Now Germany has introduced quarantine to British Tourists so no Hamburg either.

Just waiting for Belgium to follow suit….🙀

That’s without the U.K. going into a possible lockdown in the New Year or sooner.

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 2

Not sure where this leaves us now really. We’re meant to be going on the January 11th . I called MSC after the France ban and they said they were “looking at an itinerary change” and were aware of the situation. Loads have changed since that though as you say 3 ports gone now. All with people that were meant to embark there too. Guess they will have to sort it all pretty quickly as the next cruise leaves on Tuesday. Kind of wish they’d just cancel and give us a refund at this point it’s all getting so stressful for a 7 day break. Such a shame.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 10:28 AM, Cruiseforever11 said:

Thanks Suzanne. I’m trying to remain optimistic that we’ll still sail (I received a upgrade bid offer from MSC yesterday lol) but I’m not holding my breath 😞 

5 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

Thanks Suzanne. I’m trying to remain optimistic that we’ll still sail (I received a upgrade bid offer from MSC yesterday lol) but I’m not holding my breath 😞 

Hi ya hope you & Mick are both OK.  I'd be on the phone to msc Monday morning as Germany have banned us brits France has too and Holland are in lockdown for a month which just leaves Belgium. Its a nightmare and when will all this end. So fed up with covid. I hope you get to cruise and get to see the new year in it would be a shame if it got cancelled. Fingers crossed and keep us posted on what happens. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Hi ya hope you & Mick are both OK.  I'd be on the phone to msc Monday morning as Germany have banned us brits France has too and Holland are in lockdown for a month which just leaves Belgium. Its a nightmare and when will all this end. So fed up with covid. I hope you get to cruise and get to see the new year in it would be a shame if it got cancelled. Fingers crossed and keep us posted on what happens. 

Yeh we’re good thanks Suzanne, fed up with all of this though, same as you. I thought I’d wait and see what happens with this week’s sailing before attempting to ring. At this point, I’d be happy with a cruise to nowhere, we’ve always got the DP to keep us entertained! 🥂😁

Edited by CaroleC
Just read on the big social media site that the 21st’s sailing has been cancelled!

3 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

I would even go as far as looking at flights to the USA and seeing if MSC can move you free of charge to a Miami cruise.

They have just lost x number of Italian, German etc bookings so will definitely have the space lol

Though personally, I'd be trying to fly out sooner than later as panicking Doris could do just about anything right now.

Not sure I’d risk going to the USA with all this uncertainty 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, CaroleC said:

Yeh we’re good thanks Suzanne, fed up with all of this though, same as you. I thought I’d wait and see what happens with this week’s sailing before attempting to ring. At this point, I’d be happy with a cruise to nowhere, we’ve always got the DP to keep us entertained! 🥂😁

Lol 😆  well there is that and Nick and I did stay on the ship for a whole week on our July 3rd and the dp came in very handy on that cruise with no problems🥂we were just glad to be back on a cruise ship away from the 4 walls at home! I can't remember if you got off at all on that cruise I know the 2 Tony's did but they were on strict msc tours only back then.  Keep me posted 😊

4 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Lol 😆  well there is that and Nick and I did stay on the ship for a whole week on our July 3rd and the dp came in very handy on that cruise with no problems🥂we were just glad to be back on a cruise ship away from the 4 walls at home! I can't remember if you got off at all on that cruise I know the 2 Tony's did but they were on strict msc tours only back then.  Keep me posted 😊

No, we stayed on board too but the weather was a lot better then so we could sit out on deck. Did you see the edit to my post? Someone has posted on the other site that this week’s sailing was cancelled this morning. So I think it’s only a matter of time before I receive the dreaded email. I’m so disappointed, I was really looking forward to seeing in the New Year on board 😔

31 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

No, we stayed on board too but the weather was a lot better then so we could sit out on deck. Did you see the edit to my post? Someone has posted on the other site that this week’s sailing was cancelled this morning. So I think it’s only a matter of time before I receive the dreaded email. I’m so disappointed, I was really looking forward to seeing in the New Year on board 😔

Oh no Carol just seen it! 😲  I just check msc website and you can still book the cruise. I just did a dummy booking. Not good.  If they have cancelled it I guess it will get removed tomorrow. Yes I would be disappointed too if I had booked to see the new year in on that cruise. What will you do if cancelled? Move it or just get a refund? Its all the pcr test costs as well its so annoying 🙄 

Just realised as well if they have cancelled 21st that's the Xmas cruise so all those people who planned to have Xmas on the cruise. That's their Xmas over then. 😔

Edited by Cruiseforever11

1 hour ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Oh no Carol just seen it! 😲  I just check msc website and you can still book the cruise. I just did a dummy booking. Not good.  If they have cancelled it I guess it will get removed tomorrow. Yes I would be disappointed too if I had booked to see the new year in on that cruise. What will you do if cancelled? Move it or just get a refund? Its all the pcr test costs as well its so annoying 🙄 

Just realised as well if they have cancelled 21st that's the Xmas cruise so all those people who planned to have Xmas on the cruise. That's their Xmas over then. 😔

I did a dummy booking too, bit naughty really, they should have taken the cruise off sale immediately. Not sure what we’ll do yet, probably get a refund. We’ve got a cruise booked mid June on Anthem so may just wait until then when, hopefully, things will have improved. The company I’ve got the departure PCRs booked with emailed me a couple of days ago after France’s rules changed and offered to cancel the tests. They’ll provide vouchers which are valid for 12 months so that’s good. The Day 2 test kits I ordered don’t expire until the end of June so we should be able to use them on re-entry from the Anthem cruise. 

56 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

Should MSC cancel our January 4th  cruise will they give us a refund? 

It’s not really clear on their website which talks about giving credits if they cancel a cruise. Would not be happy with this.

Whenever they've made a major change or they have cancelled a cruise they give you options. Accept their change with obc, swap to another cruise or a full refund. This has been the case on 3 of my cruises the only one where they have not offered a refund or obc is the ship change,  my Magnifica to Virtuosa cruise in May and still waiting for them to sort out my cabin on that one.

Just now, Cruiseforever11 said:

Whenever they've made a major change or they have cancelled a cruise they give you options. Accept their change with obc, swap to another cruise or a full refund. This has been the case on 3 of my cruises the only one where they have not offered a refund or obc is the ship change,  my Magnifica to Virtuosa cruise in May and still waiting for them to sort out my cabin on that one.

Thank you very much for that information. That is very reassuring. 👍🏻😊

• Like 1