HAL cruisers: Should I come back?

CruiseRQA

On 11/28/2021 at 1:39 PM, esimon said:

interesting that you would cruise on a line you don't really like??

I never said that, we have been very avid HAL cruisers.  What I did say is that we don’t like the direction HAL has taken, ie; retiring the small ships in favor of the mega ships.  Mrs Banjo and I never left HAL,  HAL has left us, so we need to make other choices.

5 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

HAL has left us, so we need to make other choices.

While I am displeased at some of the changes that I have experienced on HAL, I have not left HAL.  But, I am "shopping".  Each return to a HAL cruise reminds me of why I enjoy the HAL cruise experience.  

• Like 2

As the OP of this thread, first let me thank everyone for (mostly) thoughtful responses and advice.    Our preference for HAL in the past was based on the cruise experience - hot appetizers while enjoying a dance trio before dinner in the Ocean Bar, a stroll around the promenade deck, lounging on the promenade deck during the day being served lemonade.   Gracious service in the MDR along with great food - wonderful cold fruit soups, Dover Sole, great bread sticks.   A good show in the theatre after dinner.

We changed to Celebrity for our last pre-COVID cruise because of our perceived cheapening of the traditional HAL experience.    The tone of the responses is that the current HAL experience remains "not as it once was".    That seems fine with some and no so fine with others.  I guess I remain in the latter camp.

I will continue to check in with this board every now and then to see what the vibe is with HAL's customers.    Thanks again.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

As the OP of this thread, first let me thank everyone for (mostly) thoughtful responses and advice.    Our preference for HAL in the past was based on the cruise experience - hot appetizers while enjoying a dance trio before dinner in the Ocean Bar, a stroll around the promenade deck, lounging on the promenade deck during the day being served lemonade.   Gracious service in the MDR along with great food - wonderful cold fruit soups, Dover Sole, great bread sticks.   A good show in the theatre after dinner.

We changed to Celebrity for our last pre-COVID cruise because of our perceived cheapening of the traditional HAL experience.    The tone of the responses is that the current HAL experience remains "not as it once was".    That seems fine with some and no so fine with others.  I guess I remain in the latter camp.

I will continue to check in with this board every now and then to see what the vibe is with HAL's customers.    Thanks again.  

The point I would like to make is that we have been sailing Celebrity for 20 years and it is also not what it once was.  Is any line?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As stated: We sailed on Viking Ocean cruise and it was brilliant in every way.  A 21 day Panama canal Junior Penthouse was $19,000. A super deal!

We both agreed the new Rotterdam for 5 weeks in Vista is a great deal. We will stick with HAL. A few points away from 4 star. 

53 minutes ago, opa&oma said:

The point I would like to make is that we have been sailing Celebrity for 20 years and it is also not what it once was.  Is any line?

But that's true of everything -- the point is that some may be on the upswing and some on the downswing. (Also some may be declining at a faster rate than others.)