South Africa back on the UK red list

uktog

I feel so sorry for Azamara and all the cruisers and lets hope this is something that gets lifted again soon, but on the basis a new more virulent form of Covid has emerged in Botswana and spread to South Africa and Namibia there are a number of countries where all flights to the UK are now banned from tomorrow.

Just shows how challenging planning trips is

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

I feel so sorry for Azamara and all the cruisers and lets hope this is something that gets lifted again soon, but on the basis a new more virulent form of Covid has emerged in Botswana and spread to South Africa and Namibia there are a number of countries where all flights to the UK are now banned from tomorrow.

Heartbreaking news and very discouraged as to possibilities for 2022.  

9 hours ago, uktog said:

Heike was just there last month.

7 hours ago, Ayden said:

Heartbreaking news and very discouraged as to possibilities for 2022.  

Indeed I feel so sorry for those with long awaited trips and for Azamara trying to work out what to do next.

This sadly remains a risk where there is “vaccine poverty” experts did warn mutations amongst unvaccinated were one of the greatest risks. 
Let’s really hope this variation does what some can do, flare up quickly and die out equally quickly.  
Thoughts with everyone affected

• Like 3

Yes, just lost my Norwegian Jade cruise to it. But happily coming back to Azamara for a Canary Island cruise on 8 January as an alternative. 

Hopefully the new variant isn't as bad as it looks on paper - the interview with the South African doctor who discovered it was more positive than I expected, stating symptoms were comparatively mild. 

• Like 4

Hoping flights are restored.  We are scheduled to fly to CapeTown on New Year's Day, with a layover in London.  

Also hope cruise is not canceled but expecting it might be unless Omicron variant was operated and it really isn't all that serious to those vaccinated and more.