Roald Amundsen has started on the first Antarctic Cruise of the Season

AlanCruise

1 hour ago, movin12 said:

Yes, I would be interested to know where grayjay heard this.  “Serious media reports”, I can’t find any news on this.  I hope it won’t affect the Jan. 11th cruise.

Looks like there aren't reports in US media yet. Here are two articles from Europe:

https://www.nrk.no/tromsogfinnmark/koronasmitte-pa-hurtigrutens-ms-_roald-amundsen_-i-antarktis-1.15793641

https://www.vol.no/nyheter/2022/01/03/Koronautbrudd-på-Hurtigruten-25002126.ece

Using Google translate, it seems three passengers tested positive on day 6 of the cruise that departed Dec. 27(?). They and 8 others (some passengers, some crew) who were deemed close contacts were isolated.

Today we got our welcome aboard email from Hurtigruten for Jan 11 cruise, so looks like it's not stopping them.

6 hours ago, karen11g said:

Looks like there aren't reports in US media yet. Here are two articles from Europe:

https://www.nrk.no/tromsogfinnmark/koronasmitte-pa-hurtigrutens-ms-_roald-amundsen_-i-antarktis-1.15793641

https://www.vol.no/nyheter/2022/01/03/Koronautbrudd-på-Hurtigruten-25002126.ece

Using Google translate, it seems three passengers tested positive on day 6 of the cruise that departed Dec. 27(?). They and 8 others (some passengers, some crew) who were deemed close contacts were isolated.

Today we got our welcome aboard email from Hurtigruten for Jan 11 cruise, so looks like it's not stopping them.

Crap for those affected.  Hope they continue to show no symptoms and test negative soon.

• Like 1

It looks like getting tested and getting the results back in time for the flight will now be a problem.  No appointments available and delays getting results back from labs.  Anyone else having this problem or have ideas to get tested and quick results.  I hate to think we be left behind because of this.

On 1/3/2022 at 8:33 PM, Heartfelttraveler said:

Crap for those affected.  Hope they continue to show no symptoms and test negative soon.

was just in contact with someone on the current sailing of the RA. 3 passengers tested positive. They are asymptomatic. They are using deck 4 for quarantine. One of the people is positive but their spouse is negative. Don't know much more than this.

They are feeling they contracted it on the plane over.

Looks like the Amundsen canceled prematurely now for their current sailing - I suspect that the next one will be impacted as well? They are "only" skipping the Falklands (which is still significant).

We were on the December 10-27, 2021 sailing as well - so were quite lucky having an amazing trip and to do everything as scheduled as there were no COVID cases on board (next to some weather issues - which is normal).

https://www.nrk.no/tromsogfinnmark/avbryter-seilas-etter-koronasmitte-1.15798234

January 6, 2022 at 13:38 Interrupts sailing after corona infection Four new cases of covid-19 have been registered on board the MS «Roald Amundsen». Thus, ten of the guests have so far tested positive . The ship is currently in Antarctica, but the voyage is now interrupted immediately, and the ship will return to Chile. This was stated by the captain over the loudspeaker system to the passengers.

2 hours ago, khle said:

Looks like the Amundsen canceled prematurely now for their current sailing - I suspect that the next one will be impacted as well? They are "only" skipping the Falklands (which is still significant).

I wonder whether Hurtigruten made the call or if the Falklands decided the ship couldn’t dock.

4 hours ago, khle said:

We were on the December 10-27, 2021 sailing as well - so were quite lucky having an amazing trip and to do everything as scheduled as there were no COVID cases on board (next to some weather issues - which is normal).

https://www.nrk.no/tromsogfinnmark/avbryter-seilas-etter-koronasmitte-1.15798234

January 6, 2022 at 13:38 Interrupts sailing after corona infection Four new cases of covid-19 have been registered on board the MS «Roald Amundsen». Thus, ten of the guests have so far tested positive . The ship is currently in Antarctica, but the voyage is now interrupted immediately, and the ship will return to Chile. This was stated by the captain over the loudspeaker system to the passengers.

According to Marine Traffic the Roald Amundsen is now due at Punta Arenas on the 9th ( rather than the 12th as originally planned). Hopefully this will give enough time to get clearance to sail again on the 12th?? I guess that when the Chilean authorities gave the go ahead to Antarctica expeditions, they put together plans and procedures for when an outbreak occurs.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 12:42 AM, movin12 said:

It looks like getting tested and getting the results back in time for the flight will now be a problem.  No appointments available and delays getting results back from labs.  Anyone else having this problem or have ideas to get tested and quick results.  I hate to think we be left behind because of this.

We got our PCR results from Kaiser too late  while on our first flight. We booked backup rapid antigen tests with Sick.org for yesterday. They deliver “free” tests for a $25 delivery fee and it worked great.  Only in some areas though.  

1 hour ago, DemExplorers said:

We got our PCR results from Kaiser too late  while on our first flight. We booked backup rapid antigen tests with Sick.org for yesterday. They deliver “free” tests for a $25 delivery fee and it worked great.  Only in some areas though.  

I was under the impression that you had to have a PCR test for entry to Chile and that antigen tests were not acceptable. Or did you use the antigen test for an internal flight before flying to Chile? 

1 hour ago, Spike11 said:

I was under the impression that you had to have a PCR test for entry to Chile and that antigen tests were not acceptable. Or did you use the antigen test for an internal flight before flying to Chile? 

We are currently on our way to Iguazu Falls in Brazil for 2 nights.  The Kaiser PCR results arrived during our first leg and we have PCR tests scheduled for Saturday at the hotel.  
This is so complicated.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DemExplorers said:

We are enroute and my bag of wool socks and all my underwear is sitting on a chair in my bedroom.  Is there a ship’s store that can replace items or a store in Santiago for supplies?  Too late for Amazon now.  

The onboard ship store had a surprisingly good supply of almost all the items you might need (like socks). The Santiago airport has an awesome outdoor store too.

1 minute ago, CraigShanklin said:

The onboard ship store had a surprisingly good supply of almost all the items you might need (like socks). The Santiago airport has an awesome outdoor store too.

additionally…there is awesome shopping in Santiago…and depending on your timing…even in Punta Arenas. One couple on our Hurtigruten charter flight from Santiago to Punta Arenas had lost their luggage upon arriving in Chile. Once our charter landed in Punta Arenas, instead of taking the bus to the ship…took a cab shopping to replace EVERYTHING they were missing. They had plenty of time for shopping and easily made the ship with everything they needed. You are fine.

The current Roald Amundsen cruise which was shortened due to some Covid cases is back in Punta Arenas this morning, having missed the visit to the Falklands. Every one to be tested on arrival and apparently the positive cases and contacts will quarantine in hotels. The rest of the passengers will stay on the ship until the scheduled arrival date (Jan 12th) and then travel home.

The next cruise is still on (I hope)

For the remaining sailings this season - it's worthwhile to watch the position of the ship to see if they are a go ahead or if this is the end for the Amundsen this year.

If the Amundsen remains in the Punta Arenas vicinity it's likely that they will try for the February sailing. However, if they are heading back to Europe it's definitely a no-go.

Cruise mapper tends to be the best - here's the link:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9813072

10 hours ago, khle said:

For the remaining sailings this season - it's worthwhile to watch the position of the ship to see if they are a go ahead or if this is the end for the Amundsen this year.

If the Amundsen remains in the Punta Arenas vicinity it's likely that they will try for the February sailing. However, if they are heading back to Europe it's definitely a no-go.

Cruise mapper tends to be the best - here's the link:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9813072

Amundsen is going to Alaska from Antarctica so I doubt she would go back to Europe in any case.

Hi, I am planning to go on this cruise starting January 28 and am really looking forward to the adventure!  I understand the recent cruise ended a bit early and the January 12th cruise was cancelled.  I was wondering how the cruise went?  I haven't seen any comments on how passengers felt they were communicated with and what we might need to know for our upcoming cruise.  

We are rebooking for January 12th with the extra time in Antartica.  
We filled some of our scheduled time off with a wet season Jaguar safari in the Pantanal region of Brazil lugging our suitcases full of wool in 95 degrees.  Boy, I wish we were in Antartica!