Roald Amundsen has started on the first Antarctic Cruise of the Season

AlanCruise

Before I talk about the restaurants I must make this pro tip: bring ear plugs or a white noise machine or something to help you sleep.  The rooms are NOISEY at night when seas are rough.  Reception has moved a few people to different rooms to try to help-and offered us a different room as well.  But all the rooms are loud.  

Ok restaurants: The buffet at Aune's for breakfast is my favorite.  Lots of choices-and I have been able to stay keto at least for breakfast here.  Almond milk is possible-through I have to re-explain what is it every morning for some reason...

Dinners here are good.  The menu changes every second or third day.  Confirm the menu you read on the app is what is being served-they don't always match. Keto here for dinner has been somewhat challenging.  

Lindstorm breakfast so ok, nothing special.  This is the specialty restaurant which includes an extra charge for some.  It's not worth the $ for breakfast.  

Dinners are wonderful, worth the extra charge.  Please note: sometimes what we think we are getting is not what we get.  For example: last night's dessert was Mascarpone and raspberries.  (keto approved dessert in small servings!) What I got was very sugary vanilla pudding and strawberries...UGH...

Fredheim: Open from lunch through dinner.  This place has 2 different menus.  One for sit down meals, and one for take away.  Both are very good-the fried rice is GREAT!  The only tip I have here is-what they are calling 'hot dogs' is what the U.S calls sausage.  All are good just a different phrase.  

I also feel like I should explain a bit about why I've tried so hard to stay on a Keto diet.  So here's my personal story-feel free to stop reading if you are not interested.  

In 2018 my husband and I did the 180 day around the world cruise through Oceania.  It was a wonderful experience, other then the 40-50 pound we both gained over the 6 month trip.  Yep-we were unprepared mentally for the wonderful foods that come with those experiences.  We ate everything-every American breakfast, every English tea time, and every Captains special dessert.  

When we got home-we were forced to buy all new and much BIGGER clothing.  That was a large mix of emotions (none of them good) .  But we did it and started to set a path towards weight loss.  About a week later my husband had a stroke.  it was only TIA- Praise the Lord! Our primary doctor talked about different therapies that might be needed, and of course, weight loss.  We heard what the doctor said but did not listen.  

Then I fell one evening tearing every ligament in my knee.  That was Jan 2020.  Surgery was planned then Covid hit.  I spent a few months in a wheelchair hating life.  I was finally able to have surgery in May.  This included the same conversations: therapy and weight loss. 

So Jan 2021 DH and I decided enough-we spent a couple days researching Keto diet plans and began throwing almost everything from our pantry away.  Seriously-almost everything!  Now here we are Dec 2021 we both have lost 50 pounds, my blood sugar is stable, we are active again, and feel like we have been given our lives back.  I have come to terms with my sugar addiction, and actively plan my meals away from temptation. 

Ok Ive probably talked to much-I just wanted everyone to understand a bit about why I am trying to stay within my Keto lifestyle.  

Safe Travels everyone~. 

On 12/3/2021 at 8:55 AM, WholeNewWorld said:

pro tip: bring ear plugs or a white noise machine or something to help you sleep.  The rooms are NOISEY at night when seas are rough.  Reception has moved a few people to different rooms to try to help-and offered us a different room as well.  But all the rooms are loud.  

I've never been in rough seas. Curious what the noise actually is?

Our poor little ship is having a rough time.  The seas are rough- big swells that are tossing the boat port to starboard then straight up...then back down again.  Many guests have complaints about sounds in their cabins.  In my case-something has broken free in the ceiling.  Sometimes it sounds like nails on a chalkboard, sometimes it sounds like a metal piece rolling around.  It's non stop.  

We've been told it can only be fixed back on land, because we are directly under the bridge and the flooring there will need to be removed to find the break.  So we have switched cabins.  We are now in room 749.  Half the size but much easier to sleep!  It's not a quiet room, the noise from the engines are constant. But I love sleeping with a white noise going-so the constant hmmm of the motors is fine for me.  

There are 'phantom door slams' in the walls. (crew's name for it). If you stand in certain spot you'll hear what sounds like a door slam, but there is not a door it's just something that has wiggled lose in the walls slamming around.  

This being one of the ships first runs in high seas, it's to be expected, but man it's hard when you add an 18 month shut down on top of everything else.  The crew are running around everywhere trying hard to make things work. Sadly even movie night was canceled last night because of tech difficulties.  

Ok-enough complaining.  Heres a very long list of wonderful things on this ship.  Starting with the crew. They LOVE what they do and it shows!  The room stewards, the dining staff, the tour leaders, each one of them are great.  It's impossible not to smile around them.  

The rooms: they are very well designed.  Every square foot has been well thought out-giving us plenty of storage and great views.  The beds are very comfortable: not too hard, not to soft, just right!  

The food: The only warning I have here is the steak was awful.  Everything else tastes amazing.  Try the cauliflower fried rice trust me!!!!  

The Captain: I love his noon poems!  At noon he gives us the daily update and ends with a poem fitting for our surroundings.  I look forward to them every afternoon.  

The classes: Want to learn just how important whales are to the ecosystem-theres a class for it.  Want to hear the story of Captain Shackleton are his bravery? Theres a  class for it!  My DH is currently in a class all about the Antarctic Treaty.  I've been to many of the photography classes-very educational!  

Acher the bartender: Best man around!  For all the reasons! LOL

The bath room toiletries:  I have super fine hair,  my SIL has very thick hair.  We both love the shampoo and conditioner provided.  

Ok-I know I said the front rooms have the best view, but sitting in a hot tub in an aft balcony is damn awesome!  🙂 

2 hours ago, WholeNewWorld said:

Our poor little ship is having a rough time.  The seas are rough- big swells that are tossing the boat port to starboard then straight up...then back down again.  Many guests have complaints about sounds in their cabins.  In my case-something has broken free in the ceiling.  Sometimes it sounds like nails on a chalkboard, sometimes it sounds like a metal piece rolling around.  It's non stop.  

We've been told it can only be fixed back on land, because we are directly under the bridge and the flooring there will need to be removed to find the break.  So we have switched cabins.  We are now in room 749.  Half the size but much easier to sleep!  It's not a quiet room, the noise from the engines are constant. But I love sleeping with a white noise going-so the constant hmmm of the motors is fine for me.  

There are 'phantom door slams' in the walls. (crew's name for it). If you stand in certain spot you'll hear what sounds like a door slam, but there is not a door it's just something that has wiggled lose in the walls slamming around.  

This being one of the ships first runs in high seas, it's to be expected, but man it's hard when you add an 18 month shut down on top of everything else.  The crew are running around everywhere trying hard to make things work. Sadly even movie night was canceled last night because of tech difficulties.  

Ok-enough complaining.  Heres a very long list of wonderful things on this ship.  Starting with the crew. They LOVE what they do and it shows!  The room stewards, the dining staff, the tour leaders, each one of them are great.  It's impossible not to smile around them.  

The rooms: they are very well designed.  Every square foot has been well thought out-giving us plenty of storage and great views.  The beds are very comfortable: not too hard, not to soft, just right!  

The food: The only warning I have here is the steak was awful.  Everything else tastes amazing.  Try the cauliflower fried rice trust me!!!!  

The Captain: I love his noon poems!  At noon he gives us the daily update and ends with a poem fitting for our surroundings.  I look forward to them every afternoon.  

The classes: Want to learn just how important whales are to the ecosystem-theres a class for it.  Want to hear the story of Captain Shackleton are his bravery? Theres a  class for it!  My DH is currently in a class all about the Antarctic Treaty.  I've been to many of the photography classes-very educational!  

The bath room toiletries:  I have super fine hair,  my SIL has very thick hair.  We both love the shampoo and conditioner provided.  

Ok-I know I said the front rooms have the best view, but sitting in a hot tub in an aft balcony is damn awesome!  🙂 

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of the great information you've been giving us!

Edited by karen11g

3 hours ago, WholeNewWorld said:

Thank you so much for all the updates! If you are crossing the Drake I assume you are finished with the Antarctic peninsula and are now headed to the Falklands? Any guess how many passengers will be on next week’s sailing (about half like yours?) Heard of any issues with cabin 701? Were you able to see the eclipse? Any feedback from those that went “camping” overnight? Is there any entertainment on board? Our traveling companion is considering bringing his guitar. Thanks for all your advice and tips!

36 minutes ago, CraigShanklin said:

Thank you so much for all the updates! If you are crossing the Drake I assume you are finished with the Antarctic peninsula and are now headed to the Falklands? Any guess how many passengers will be on next week’s sailing (about half like yours?) Heard of any issues with cabin 701? Were you able to see the eclipse? Any feedback from those that went “camping” overnight? Is there any entertainment on board? Our traveling companion is considering bringing his guitar. Thanks for all your advice and tips!

We did the Drake passage at the beginning.  We had some very large rolls, but Captain stated it was the calmest seas he's ever had.  (perspective is everything!) 

We will be in the Falklands in 2 days-it's a long passage!  Weather permitting we will have 3 landings around there.  Chile has denied our Stanley stop-so Captain is working a few things out. 

A guitar would be great..nights have been quiet.  Other then the classes nothing else has been scheduled.  

As for cabin 701..I haven't heard of anything I ask around. 

The Camping excursion seems to be about perspective as well.  The way it works is you get your name in the drawing-if chosen you have 2 extra mandatory classes covering the 'rules' of the trip.  Day of you spend your morning doing whatever the whole boat excursion is, then have dinner.  Then around 11pm the group goes off ship for their night out.  Wake up is at 430am and back on board is around 530.         The crew takes all your 'stuff' for you.  Tents, sleeping bags, ect... the price was $500+ per person.  Is it worth it? No one said it was the best night ever, but a few people said it was nice.  

I have no idea how many are to be on the next sailing.  I know H was going to start moving towards full ship, but it won't be overnight.  ( I can stop by reception and ask this afternoon. )

This morning we received more paperwork required by Chile for our re-entry.  A tip for filling it out-only give them the answer nothing more.  (Don't use 2 words if 1 will work.) The country is really frustrating.  

2 more covid tests before we get home... 😮 

One more tip: If everything goes as planned from today forward: we will have 5.5 landings out of 18 day cruise.  Bring a book or 2! 

2 hours ago, CraigShanklin said:

I mean, that eclipse is part of this particular trip! 🙂 

What was your experience?

But what a shame to need to trade that forward view!

That is absolutely the best for us, but not all ships have something nice like that, or even anything at all.

GC

25 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

I mean, that eclipse is part of this particular trip! 🙂 

What was your experience?

But what a shame to need to trade that forward view!

That is absolutely the best for us, but not all ships have something nice like that, or even anything at all.

GC

We didn't see anything.  The cloud cover has been thick for days, making the eclipse a total bust.  

We got up at 330am...opened the curtains-then went back to bed.  😞 

Oh my gosh-Get a massage!  After stressful travel, stressful boarding, lots of rocky weather, and walking 'funny' down the halls due to the waves my muscles are TIGHT! Today the weather is perfect, the seas are calm, and it was my turn for a massage.  The spa is small, quiet and worth every penny.  

Yes you have to wear a mask the whole time-yes it's a bit uncomfortable, YES its worth it!

I asked reception a few of your questions-I hope this helps: Room 701 has not stated any complaints about their room.  I've walked past the room a few times hoping to meet the guests, but no luck.  😞 

The next cruise will have the roughly 200 guests-although the count has not been finalized.  Which is close to the same as this cruise! Enjoy the extra space!  

The guests that stayed the night on Antartica have not reported any great pictures or must do moments.  I have a feeling this one might not be worth the $$$...sorry

*Side note: Im not sure why this cruise/trip is considered a retirement goal.  The excursions are hard the hiking is tough.  If you are younger and can-do it! If you are older and can-do it!  We have a couple of people aboard that struggle with walking BUT they do it!  This cruise has sites you can only see here-it's magical, but if it can be done without pain do it.  And to those that hike through the pain for this amazing trip-you are my heroes!  DON'T STOP

My lottery number has been drawn for tomorrow-so weather permitting tomorrow DH and I are kayaking around the Falkland Islands.  More to come tomorrow!

Safe Travels~

Edit to add: Q&A with the Captain take aways: The guest count will stay this low all season as required by Chile.  This allows the staff to have private rooms and space for quarantine if needed.

11 people were deported and missed this cruise because they did not have their government required paperwork. 

This ship goes back into dry dock next summer-It is on a 2 year year rotation, and even though Covid shut them down R.A will go in for needed repairs on schedule.  

56 minutes ago, khle said:

Thank you for all the tips and and description of everything - quite amazing!

Do they still allow folks to upgrade cabins to a higher category with these low numbers on board?

My guess is yes-but from my own experiences I went for a downgrade without any problems.  I went from the grand suite to an aft suite and it was totally worth the loss for the ability to sleep!  

I pray everyone in the front suites has a better experiences-the views are amazing but the sounds are crazy...

Thanks for the quick info! Really helpful. 😀

Currently we are mid-ship on Deck 8 - do they do the upgrades when on-board or should I give it a shot with their on-shore team (the on-shore folks don't always have  a lot of info with Hurtigruten).

21 minutes ago, khle said:

Thanks for the quick info! Really helpful. 😀

Currently we are mid-ship on Deck 8 - do they do the upgrades when on-board or should I give it a shot with their on-shore team (the on-shore folks don't always have  a lot of info with Hurtigruten).

Id try on board-they will have the most up to date info.  But keep in mind-mid ship will be the best with bad seas-which is very possible.  You might want to keep your cabin

That's why we originally went for the balcony mid-ship. Will be a smaller room but it will be enough space. Would be nice to have the suite at the aft - particularly with the hot tub!

Will wait till on the ship as the on-shore team likely doesn't have the info to make things happen!

Does their charter flight really only allow for one piece of checked luggage up to 50lb per person? Is there any flexibility or option to purchase an additional piece that you noticed?

Thanks again for the help!

11 hours ago, khle said:

That's why we originally went for the balcony mid-ship. Will be a smaller room but it will be enough space. Would be nice to have the suite at the aft - particularly with the hot tub!

Will wait till on the ship as the on-shore team likely doesn't have the info to make things happen!

Does their charter flight really only allow for one piece of checked luggage up to 50lb per person? Is there any flexibility or option to purchase an additional piece that you noticed?

Thanks again for the help!

Yeah we were told the luggage limit was strict 1 check 1 carry one. We each had one checked, but I had 2 carry on. No one said anything.  I think there is some flexibility but don’t go to far. 

Thanks again! That was our plan - to check the one and then a handbag/backpack and carry-on each. For a 18 day cruise one piece of luggage isn't a lot (considering some of the winter clothing). No formal clothing though, so that saves some room.

3 hours ago, khle said:

Thanks again! That was our plan - to check the one and then a handbag/backpack and carry-on each. For a 18 day cruise one piece of luggage isn't a lot (considering some of the winter clothing). No formal clothing though, so that saves some room.

One bag each was plenty for us. We still haven’t gone through all of our clothes. I’m wearing hiking pants onboard and snow pants on land. T shirts for both. 
the only reason we had two carry on is because I brought all my camera gear to have fun with. 

trust me this is very low key just be comfortable

We did go overboard and got way too much snow stuff. Have to narrow it down to what we will actually take now. Too many wool everything. We are from Canada so it won't go to waste at all. It's 10 degrees Fahrenheit outside at the moment - so likely will even be warmer in Antarctica compared to here.

Low key sounds great. Just the thing needed for some time way from work! Kind of glad that to hear the internet isn't the greatest. Good opportunity to switch off for a while. Just a few good books to bring!

For those worrying about the Chilean Covid mobility pass taking a long time, I applied last Friday and the approval of the vaccine came through today, so only 3 days (over a weekend).

This was for UK vaccination and I uploaded the PDF certificate you can download (In England) from the NHS app.

On 12/5/2021 at 8:19 AM, WholeNewWorld said:

You went from an MA to a MC.  One larger with small balcony.  The other smaller with a larger balcony and private hot tub.  Which suite do you prefer?

On 12/6/2021 at 4:10 PM, WholeNewWorld said:

Edit to add: Q&A with the Captain take aways: The guest count will stay this low all season as required by Chile.  This allows the staff to have private rooms and space for quarantine if needed.

Hopefully the January 11 sailing will really have the reduced numbers.  Our available cabin count went from 26 yesterday to only 13 today.  (Are people still booking this late, and are they really paying the advertised prices?)

Thanks for the information you have provided. 

13 hours ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

You went from an MA to a MC.  One larger with small balcony.  The other smaller with a larger balcony and private hot tub.  Which suite do you prefer?

I'd prefer the grand suite.  Right up front-best views!  But I've now talked to my neighbor and was told they are having the same problems.  It's impossible to sleep the walls and ceiling creek so loudly it's awful.  😞

8 hours ago, AlanCruise said:

A couple of weeks ago I was told by Hurtigruten that there were 330 people booked on Jan 11 and on the UK web site you could only book with a Suite. So not likely to increase much.

I've been told they are bound to Chile's regulations right now.  Chile is requiring all crew to have a separate room and have room for quarantining any one sick. If Chile relaxes their rules H will fill up quickly

23 minutes ago, WholeNewWorld said:

I've been told they are bound to Chile's regulations right now.  Chile is requiring all crew to have a separate room and have room for quarantining any one sick. If Chile relaxes their rules H will fill up quickly

WNW…just curious when you return to Santiago? Are you at the Mandarin Oriental? If so, our paths will cross and we would love to say hi and hear more about your trip…before ours begins. Thanks again for all your helpful posts. Craig (and Diane)