The Nu Covid variant

bobstheboy

“Travellers arriving into France from outside the European Union must have a negative Covid-19 test, regardless of their vaccination status, French government spokesman Gabriel Attal said on Wednesday.” 

Appears this can be a PCR or LFT test.

This may well affect French Overseas Territories in the Caribbean.

https://www.france24.com/en/health/20211201-live-germany-detects-omicron-cases-among-vaccinated-japan-halts-new-incoming-flights

47 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

“Travellers arriving into France from outside the European Union must have a negative Covid-19 test, regardless of their vaccination status, French government spokesman Gabriel Attal said on Wednesday.” 

Appears this can be a PCR or LFT test.

This may well affect French Overseas Territories in the Caribbean.

https://www.france24.com/en/health/20211201-live-germany-detects-omicron-cases-among-vaccinated-japan-halts-new-incoming-flights

Perhaps we should apply the same rules to them.........Oh, we already have🤣

Hi Silkworms, it has been a stressful  few days but we are getting there.  My next door neighbour’s daughter was on Britannia two weeks ago. I rang her today and she was very helpful. She said that if flying from Manchester, like us and getting to the airport by taxi, you should be dropped off at the Manchester Airport railway station as the Antigen testing is done there. You can use the travelator to get you and your luggage from there to Terminal 2. She also said that the completion of the Barbados Immigration and Customs form on your iPad or phone was accepted at Manchester, nobody in Barbados asked to look at it. That seemed strange until I remembered that every time we had done a Caribbean cruise we got off the plane and straight on to a coach. Have a great cruise on Azura, she is our favourite ship, Britannia second. We are on Azura next May and September. Hopefully things will be more settled then. 

I thought that the current opinion from the experts was, "we don't yet know".

I also thought that the current restrictions were on an "expect the worst, hope for the best, and give us some breathing space to find out the facts" basis.

Not helped by seeing two articles in the same paper, on the same day, both supposedly quoting WHO, one saying "it's mild"  and the other saying "it's very worrying".

When we do know, we can all use hindsight to decide whether or not the current actions were (a) not enough, or (b) too much, or (c) just right.

Meanwhile, those poor cruise operators carry on juggling ports, tours, bookings and itineraries like crazy in order to keep the ships sailing and crew and passengers safe; they all seem to be doing a pretty good job of it so far.

• Like 7

Testing now needed before you get on plane to come home - will be interesting to see how P&O handle this - RC did it for free before getting off in barcelona.  Can P&O do this amount of testing - at least it is only a Lat Flow.  More expense for the criuiser? (RC was free testing...)

My question is - from next week, as we are now having to do a lateral flow 2 days before arrival, will cruise line provide a test onboard and you pay them for it, or do I need to take my own purchased before departure with me ? In either case will the test have to be registered somehow with proof of result ?

It’s all getting way too stress as yet another complication to bother about.😐

Edited by watsonbeau

7 minutes ago, watsonbeau said:

My question is - from next week, as we are now having to do a lateral flow 2 days before arrival, will cruise line provide a test onboard and you pay them for it, or do I need to take my own purchased before departure with me ? In either case will the test have to be registered somehow with proof of result ?

It’s all getting way too stress as yet another complication to bother about.😐

On a cruise that starts and ends in Southampton - if you fail the lft two days before departing the ship are you allowed to drive home to quarantine  or do you have to go to a UK quarantine hotel?

34 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

On a cruise that starts and ends in Southampton - if you fail the lft two days before departing the ship are you allowed to drive home to quarantine  or do you have to go to a UK quarantine hotel?

Quarantine hotels are only for people who return from a red country, so will not be needed for a cruise return.  I assume if you have your car, you would be able to drive home, otherwise perhaps you would have to travel on what P&O call covid secure transport.  Not sure what that is, but I would imagine a taxi with a glass screen between you and the driver. 

People who arrive before Tues will be allowed to travel home on public transport before they get their two day test result, so at least less of a problem than that.  A good extra check imo and means sequencing to check for Omicron can be done sooner.

Edited by tring

43 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I dont know the answer to your question but the rule is you must have a negative test result within 48 hours of arriving in the U.K. If you were taking a flight and did not have a negative result you simply would not be allowed to board. But as you would already be on the  cruise ship I wonder how the cruiseline would compel you to take the test?

58 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Very good question.  I'm already bemused at those arriving over a bank holiday being told to travel miles from their arrival for an in person PCR test. I am beginning to believe the Government has no idea of practicalities.  

1 hour ago, Castle25 said:

Testing now needed before you get on plane to come home - will be interesting to see how P&O handle this - RC did it for free before getting off in barcelona.  Can P&O do this amount of testing - at least it is only a Lat Flow.  More expense for the criuiser? (RC was free testing...)

Strangely I'd more or less asked this question in relation to leaving the ship for the farewell to Barbados tour at the end of my cruise. It was indicated I would need to buy the £18 LF test and this would suffice if any new regulation came in.

16 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Strangely I'd more or less asked this question in relation to leaving the ship for the farewell to Barbados tour at the end of my cruise. It was indicated I would need to buy the £18 LF test and this would suffice if any new regulation came in.

what happens if the test is positive in the sea day before arrival into barbados?  Do they off load to a hotel in barbados?  For that matter, what do they do with positive testing people in the carribean?

As I understand it if it's a fly cruise you will be denied boarding on your flight and quarantined.  Assumedly it would be a quarantine hotel - Barbados ones start at $150 per night plus food and comforts. If it's a positive test you should be covered under insurance. Ss far as I know no one on a P&O ship has tested positive yet in the Caribbean.

Basically we have to be prepared for at least 10 days quarantine I'm afraid.  I've no idea how set up the less developed islands are but I'm guessing Barbados and the French islands would be the main places people needing hospitalisation would go to.

My P&O contact told me the other day that people would be quarantined on board if they were negative close contacts.  Not sure how that would pan out.  

Reading Javid's comments tonight he seems to be intimating test on the day of departure not the day before. One for P&O I feel.

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm already bemused at those arriving over a bank holiday being told to travel miles from their arrival for an in person PCR test.

Perhaps I have missed something, but if your comment refers to the two day test, is it not possible to just have a PCR test at home and then post it after it has been taken.  I do not see that the lack of postal collection would be a problem for the traveler, though the priority post boxes, which should be used to post the tests, have collections on Sundays anyway. 

Or does your comment refer to something else?   I have not been sitting on front of the TV news this afternoon so could have missed something.

I had assumed that on a cruise, the before departure test would be done on the ship if there are sea days before the return.  We have three sea days at the end of our next cruise which departs soon as coming back from the Canaries, so would be a farce to take the test four days before arrival.  News reports are always geared towards flights, so not clear about cruises.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

As I understand it if it's a fly cruise you will be denied boarding on your flight and quarantined.  Assumedly it would be a quarantine hotel - Barbados ones start at $150 per night plus food and comforts. If it's a positive test you should be covered under insurance. Ss far as I know no one on a P&O ship has tested positive yet in the Caribbean.

Basically we have to be prepared for at least 10 days quarantine I'm afraid.  I've no idea how set up the less developed islands are but I'm guessing Barbados and the French islands would be the main places people needing hospitalisation would go to.

My P&O contact told me the other day that people would be quarantined on board if they were negative close contacts.  Not sure how that would pan out.  

Reading Javid's comments tonight he seems to be intimating test on the day of departure not the day before. One for P&O I feel.

Yet Grant Shapps Transport Secretary said less than an hour ago

“From 4am on Tuesday 7 December all passengers aged 12 + MUST take a covid test up to 2 days before departure to England.

👉 Can either be a PCR or a lateral flow  
👉 Applies regardless of vaccination status  
👉 CTA standard rules apply”

Drinking sessions in breweries come to mind. 

There are several fly cruises arriving in UK on Christmas/Boxing and NewcYear's Day and assumedly many flights as well from other destinations. As the PCR test has to be taken in first 48 hours there apparently no post to meet the criteria. As a result it is necessary to have an in person or drive thru option and even these are few and far between on the bank holidays.  We have extended bank holidays this year due to weekends.

5 minutes ago, tring said:

Perhaps I have missed something, but if your comment refers to the two day test, is it not possible to just have a PCR test at home and then post it after it has been taken.  I do not see that the lack of postal collection would be a problem for the traveler, though the priority post boxes have collections on Sundays anyway. 

Or does your comment refer to something else?   I have not been sitting on front of the TV news this afternoon.

Coming back from Spain, we flew back on Friday, the test was delivered to our house Saturday am. We posted it in the priority PO box. Job done.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1

I assume that was not a bank holiday? I have made extensive enquiries as has another poster on here and we have been directed by Government departments that unless we wish to isolate for a longer period in person testing will be necessary.

Just now, Megabear2 said:

There are several fly cruises arriving in UK on Christmas/Boxing and NewcYear's Day and assumedly many flights as well from other destinations. As the PCR test has to be taken in first 48 hours there apparently no post to meet the criteria. As a result it is necessary to have an in person or drive thru option and even these are few and far between on the bank holidays.  We have extended bank holidays this year due to weekends.

Regardless of what day of week you return if you are resident in the UK you will have had the option to book a test and have it sent to your home address. Your responsibility is surely to take the test and post it as instructed. There will be arrangements for christmas/bank holidays. You need to isolate until you recieve a negative test result. I imagine it's likely that over the christmas period it will take longer to process tests and so you would have to isolate for longer potentially but that doesn't prevent you taking the test, registering it with the test provider and putting it in a priority drop box within 2 days of arrival.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tring said:

Perhaps I have missed something, but if your comment refers to the two day test, is it not possible to just have a PCR test at home and then post it after it has been taken.  I do not see that the lack of postal collection would be a problem for the traveler, though the priority post boxes, which should be used to post the tests, have collections on Sundays anyway. 

Or does your comment refer to something else?   I have not been sitting on front of the TV news this afternoon so could have missed something.

I had assumed that on a cruise, the before departure test would be done on the ship if there are sea days before the return.  We have three sea days at the end of our next cruise which departs soon as coming back from the Canaries, so would be a farce to take the test four days before arrival.  News reports are always geared towards flights, so not clear about cruises.

I assume you are correct for cruises arriving into the UK.  The fly cruises are a different animal.  Listening to PMQs the other day I thought Boris would cave for the pre flight testing and had already asked the question. P&O are already looking into the question for me as a result.

16 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I assume that was not a bank holiday? I have made extensive enquiries as has another poster on here and we have been directed by Government departments that unless we wish to isolate for a longer period in person testing will be necessary.

You isolate until you receive a negative test, so yes that means you would have to isolate longer if the post is not collected, but I still do not see that is the traveled problem,btjough if there is a nearby in person test centre then that could be used.

Travelers still have to get home from to their arrival point, which for some could be quite a long distance, especially if on a cruise from Southampton or a long haul flight into Heathrow.  I am sure there would be somewhere along that route where a test could be taken, but meanwhile people would be using public toilets and likely cafes or shops for food.  You can also leave isolation before you by get the two day test result for essential food if no one can get that for you, and we will be in that position on our arrival, but will be careful, obviously.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

Regardless of what day of week you return if you are resident in the UK you will have had the option to book a test and have it sent to your home address. Your responsibility is surely to take the test and post it as instructed. There will be arrangements for christmas/bank holidays. You need to isolate until you recieve a negative test result. I imagine it's likely that over the christmas period it will take longer to process tests and so you would have to isolate for longer potentially but that doesn't prevent you taking the test, registering it with the test provider and putting it in a priority drop box within 2 days of arrival.

I'm only stating what I was told.  Certainly looking at Randox etc the option was not there for them collecting the tests on those days.  We have no collection boxes open in this area for that period.  Of course it is a choice whether you wish to isolate longer, I am merely saying if you wish to be released at the earliest opportunity you are advised to do in person.

11 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

As I said the priority post boxes have Sunday collections and bank holidays are often treated the same as Sundays, so I would suspect at least one day of a bank holiday would have a collection.  The problem may be the functioning of the lab, but again as per the covid jabs I suspect some work is likely being done over weekends.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tring said:

Travelers still have to get home from to their arrival point, which for some could be quite a long distance, especially if on a cruise from Southampton or a long haul flight into Heathrow.  I am sure there would be somewhere along that route where a test could be taken, but meanwhile people would be using public toilets and likely cafes or shops for food

And that is exactly what my comment referred to originally.  The Gatwick North Terminal in person testing site is closed on those days, although the drive through is open.  Checking availability the next open sites are mainly towards central London.