COVID TEST...after January 17, 2022

retired rascal

Starting January 17, NCL will no longer provide tests.   They will require antigen or PCR within TWO DAYS  of embarkation.  This is a problem for those cruisers who will be en route to the departure port during those two days.  Does anyone have a suggestion re how to handle this??

34 minutes ago, retired rascal said:

Starting January 17, NCL will no longer provide tests.   They will require antigen or PCR within TWO DAYS  of embarkation.  This is a problem for those cruisers who will be en route to the departure port during those two days.  Does anyone have a suggestion re how to handle this??

If you go on the NCL.Com website and you go to the Safety with Ultimate Freedom section and you go to FAQ's you can find where it says if you can't get the test done before hand you can get it done at the pier but now it will cost $99 per person.  Hope this helps it was my concern as well.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

Is this the one where you basically have a telehealth appointment and it is considered the same as a test administered at a drug store, etc?  It's ironic that they call it a "home" test when you can do it anywhere with internet access.

• Haha 1

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

Is this the one where you basically have a telehealth appointment and it is considered the same as a test administered at a drug store, etc?  It's ironic that they call it a "home" test when you can do it anywhere with internet access.

So far, we've only done non-proctored Binax kits.

YES, is the answer to your question, though! (I agree about "home"!)

28 minutes ago, debnjoe1438 said:

Wow, just checked out testfortravel.com. The test prices run $139.00 to $159.00 😞

That makes the $99 at the pier sound good.

Do an inexpensive (non-proctored) home test so you feel good about flying out. 

Then the 'cheaper?' test at pier🤔

• Like 1

9 hours ago, debnjoe1438 said:

Is/will NCL accept the home test? I called a couple weeks ago and was told, at that time the home test were not approved for NCL.  Things could have changed.

In theory, the key to the test is using the "proctored" test.  If your test kit does not come with instructions/phone number for your process to be monitored by a telehealth individual, then it will not suffice for use at the pier!

If the test does give you results with your complete information (name, date of test, etc.) emailed/texted to your phone, it "should" be okay.

The BEST answer is to check on the NCL website within 21 days of your embarkation date for further information from NCL.  They will send an email that has imbedded links that are helpful.

5 minutes ago, BarnCat1 said:

These are cheaper and were posted somewhere on another thread and are the proctored tests.

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/

👍👍 That is our plan for now...

However, we have more than a month before our cruise.  Therefore, we'll wait for our

21-day-prior-email to triple-check the requirements at that time!

(Things seem to be constantly changing.)

6 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

In theory, the key to the test is using the "proctored" test.  If your test kit does not come with instructions/phone number for your process to be monitored by a telehealth individual, then it will not suffice for use at the pier!

If the test does give you results with your complete information (name, date of test, etc.) emailed/texted to your phone, it "should" be okay.

The BEST answer is to check on the NCL website within 21 days of your embarkation date for further information from NCL.  They will send an email that has imbedded links that are helpful.

Definitely keep that in mind! A home test that includes video proctoring for sample collection is acceptable. A home test that you take entirely on your own is not.

BinaxNOW Ag Card Home Test (purchased through eMed or Optum) is acceptable. BinaxNOW self test (purchased elsewhere) is not.

The kits are essentially identical (I've used both), with the only difference being that the Ag Card Home Test includes video proctoring for both the nasal swab and the results confirmation.

It's definitely more comfortable to do the antigen test at home (with a nice warm cup of tea to pass the time while waiting for results) than to wait in various lines and then stare impatiently at your phone waiting for the text message.

• Like 1

We are booked on the Joy in February - not worried about getting on the ship as we will get tested at our local pharmacy for our flights ($35.00 and results in 15 minutes) on Thursday, fly to Miami on the Friday, board on Saturday.

My only question would be for the return - as we are Canadian we require a PCR test for return home. These cost us $200.00 x 2 in Seattle when we returned from Alaska as we stayed a few days and could not take advantage of the free test NCL was offering 😞

Does anyone know if Norwegian will still be offering departure tests for those who require it for the trip home? I sure hope so as our flight back leaves the afternoon of our return to Miami and I don't want to try and arrange testing on my own in Miami😬

Will have to ask when I call for repricing 35% off plus $250 OBC? Yes please!

Edited by Brian V
Typo
  • Like 1