Walgreens Covid testing

jkx

Hello, I am trying to schedule a covid test @ Walgreens and I would like to know the details of this test they offer: Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW). 
Is this accepted by RCL? It doesn't mention if it is antigen or PCR test. Also says results within 24hrs, has anyone gotten the results much quicker than that?
Thanks

We got our tests at Walgreen's yesterday.  It was drive-through and super easy.  They told us we would get our results in two hours.  We actually got them in one hour and 15 minutes, by email, which we then printed.  We had made appointments ahead of time, and we will definitely use them again for our next cruise.

• Like 1

Just looked at Walgreens here in Nashville.   They do a pcr and an antigen but it says it takes several hrs to come back. The rapid one they don't do.  We are driving to Florida with an overnight in Valdosta so hoped to get a test at 8am but their appointments don't start until 9:30!  Nit sure what to do.  Will probably order the tests from emed through Royal.  I will also call the city and find out about their testing which I know opens at 7 am.  

Can I ask what is the cost of these tests in the US, please?     We are travelling from the UK in April and were hoping to arrive 2 days earlier(flights & hotel are booked through Royal) than our cruise, and because of this, under current guidelines, we will have to take a test before we fly to get into the US, but that test would be outwith the 2 days that Royal require, so we will need to find somewhere near our hotel (Embassy Suites 17th Street Ft Lauderdale), that can do the appropriate testing to allow us to board the ship.   How quickly can they turn the results around?

Can anyone help?

If its going to be costly, it might be an idea for us, just to fly in one day later than planned.

TIA

1 minute ago, texmex.ferr said:

Can I ask what is the cost of these tests in the US, please?     We are travelling from the UK in April and were hoping to arrive 2 days earlier(flights & hotel are booked through Royal) than our cruise, and because of this, under current guidelines, we will have to take a test before we fly to get into the US, but that test would be outwith the 2 days that Royal require, so we will need to find somewhere near our hotel (Embassy Suites 17th Street Ft Lauderdale), that can do the appropriate testing to allow us to board the ship.   How quickly can they turn the results around?

Can anyone help?

If its going to be costly, it might be an idea for us, just to fly in one day later than planned.

TIA

Walgreens says free.  Not sure if they ask for insurance.  Check with the hotel for suggestions.   The ones Royal sells can only be shipped to. US address.  Maybe your hotel address and ask them to hold it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jkx said:

Hello, I am trying to schedule a covid test @ Walgreens and I would like to know the details of this test they offer: Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW). 
Is this accepted by RCL? It doesn't mention if it is antigen or PCR test. Also says results within 24hrs, has anyone gotten the results much quicker than that?
Thanks

I use ID NOW NAAT test from Walgreen all the time to get back into Canada. Turnaround time is about 6hrs to get the results. I would prefer to get antigen test for the cruise as you can get your results within 30min. Surprising, ID NOW is more available than antigen during my travels.

Screenshot 2021-11-27 193547.png

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CruisinNole said:

We used Walgreens ID Now test for our cruise earlier this month. We had our results in about 20 minutes. Plan on doing the same test in January for our next 

Their site says 24 hrs for results.  They don't have the BinaxNOW, which is supposed to be quick. 

14 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Their site says 24 hrs for results.  They don't have the BinaxNOW, which is supposed to be quick. 

There are very few, if any Walgreens in Florida that do the rapid antigen test. We got the Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW). It is a Rapid Molecular Test. It is approved by Royal. The woman who processed our test told us that although the website says that the results will be available in 24 hours, we would probably get the results in two hours or less.  Like I said, we got our results in about 20 minutes. We made our appointment 5 days ahead of time and selected the first two appointments available which were 9:30 and 9:45. Later appointments might mean that your results might take a little longer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruisinNole said:

There are very few, if any Walgreens in Florida that do the rapid antigen test. We got the Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW). It is a Rapid Molecular Test. It is approved by Royal. The woman who processed our test told us that although the website says that the results will be available in 24 hours, we would probably get the results in two hours or less.  Like I said, we got our results in about 20 minutes. We made our appointment 5 days ahead of time and selected the first two appointments available which were 9:30 and 9:45. Later appointments might mean that your results might take a little longer.

Thanks 

29 minutes ago, cyndyga said:

Just took one today in Ga. and was told could be 24-48 hours I questioned that but they said they have to say it could be that long...? I have a CVS scheduled for tomorrow just in case...

Just got negative results less than 2 hours!

• Like 1

Hi! So both the ID NOW and BINAX NOW are accepted by Royal? I'm assuming then that ID NOW is also a rapid antigen, only a different brand? There are only a few places offering BINAX NOW in my area. All stores seem to have the ID NOW though.

Does anyone know (worst case scenario) if they have on-location testing at the Galveston port?

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, jess427rn said:

Hi! So both the ID NOW and BINAX NOW are accepted by Royal? I'm assuming then that ID NOW is also a rapid antigen, only a different brand? There are only a few places offering BINAX NOW in my area. All stores seem to have the ID NOW though.

Does anyone know (worst case scenario) if they have on-location testing at the Galveston port?

Thanks in advance!

ID now and Binax now use different technology to detect different parts of the virus.  ID now should be the more sensitive test.

On 11/27/2021 at 6:14 PM, CruisinNole said:

We used Walgreens ID Now test for our cruise earlier this month. We had our results in about 20 minutes. Plan on doing the same test in January for our next cruise.

Was it really "free" or di you have to pay for the ID Now test via insurance? 

1 hour ago, 2fromaurora said:

Was it really "free" or di you have to pay for the ID Now test via insurance? 

We are on Medicare and have received other vaccines through Walgreens so we were not even asked for our insurance information. I believe that Medicare pays for Covid tests. I have a feeling that when Walgreens (and other testing locations) file claims, they don't specify that you are getting tested for travel. If you have private insurance, this would be a question for Walgreens. We had a couple of questions about Covid testing and found that the pharmacist staff were very helpful when we called.

38 minutes ago, CruisinNole said:

We are on Medicare and have received other vaccines through Walgreens so we were not even asked for our insurance information. I believe that Medicare pays for Covid tests. I have a feeling that when Walgreens (and other testing locations) file claims, they don't specify that you are getting tested for travel. If you have private insurance, this would be a question for Walgreens. We had a couple of questions about Covid testing and found that the pharmacist staff were very helpful when we called.

Thank you!  

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 4:57 PM, jess427rn said:

I don't know about testing at the port, but there's a Walgreens a few blocks away in Galveston, as well as all over the Houston metro area. Search Walgreens and CVS in the area and I bet you can find one with the rapid tests before you board.