Unlimited drink package question

Airborne Spoon

I love to drink and the cheers package for unlimited drink package seems like a great deal. You only need to drink 5 drinks a day to make it more than worth it.

Everywhere I look on the carnival page talks about buying the package before sailing. Well I have $300 in onboard credit and it sure would be awesome to use that for the package.

Once I board is it possible to buy the drink package? Because $300 will only buy like 4 drinks a day. If so where do I need to inquire about that once onboard.

14 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Yes, you can buy it onboard.

Incidentally, it's not technically unlimited. There is a 15 drink per day limit. Which to me is as good as unlimited. But to a lot of people that apparently is a limit they reach.

Yeah I do t think I'll hit 15 a day but it would be nice to have the option.

Any idea how would I go about buying it once onboard?

1 hour ago, Airborne Spoon said:

Be aware, both adult guests in cabin must purchase Cheers.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Airborne Spoon said:

I love to drink and the cheers package for unlimited drink package seems like a great deal. You only need to drink 5 drinks a day to make it more than worth it.

Everywhere I look on the carnival page talks about buying the package before sailing. Well I have $300 in onboard credit and it sure would be awesome to use that for the package.

Once I board is it possible to buy the drink package? Because $300 will only buy like 4 drinks a day. If so where do I need to inquire about that once onboard.

In the past there would be a poster sized advertisement on the Lido deck. 

They always used to have tables set up (near the Lido deck center elevators was one I think) with staff selling it on the first and maybe second day. I don't know if Covid has changed that routine or not, but I don't know why it would.

My guess would be you can buy it at any bar, but that's just a guess.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

18 hours ago, Airborne Spoon said:

I needed to do the same thing. I just went up to the lobby bar and told them I wanted to purchase it. Worked out very smoothly.

On other lines, bartenders sometimes receive some kind of commission for selling a Cheers package.  I'm not actually sure if that's the case with Carnival, but since we'll have some hefty OBC on our next several trips, we'll likely make a point of heading to a bar we expect to visit frequently and purchasing it there.  Does anyone know if that earns the employee anything? 

Edit: on a recent cruise where we didn't bother with Cheers, the app offered to sell it to me.  If there's no benefit to the employee, I'll probably just do that on the way to the first bar.  

Edited by Virga

Hey gang,  

Sailaway is 13 days out.  We have our three adult kids, and their +1's, cruising. 

4 cabins. We paid for them all via our TA.  

Two cabins would benefit from a pre cruise cheers package purchase.  We would like to fund that.  

Any ideas how to logistically do that? 

Im stumped.  Would love to do so since we would save $100, or so, for 4 people on 5 nt cruise.  

Thank you!!! 

54 minutes ago, havanadaydreaming said:

Hey gang,  

Sailaway is 13 days out.  We have our three adult kids, and their +1's, cruising. 

4 cabins. We paid for them all via our TA.  

Two cabins would benefit from a pre cruise cheers package purchase.  We would like to fund that.  

Any ideas how to logistically do that? 

Im stumped.  Would love to do so since we would save $100, or so, for 4 people on 5 nt cruise.  

Thank you!!! 

buy it thru fun shops.  you can gift it as well.  i think all you need is names, ship & sail date.  whether it has to be separate transactions for each i do not know, sorry

Just wondering, I am Canadian & purchased a cruise for hubby & I final payment due Dec 5th. My sister is a US citizen in Texas & is an avid Carnival cruiser, who receives many perks. Could she purchase a cheers package for us and are there any deals available for frequent cruisers when purchasing it for someone else?  

Tips are included for 18% of the price you pay for the drink package.  Some people will not tip additional for each drink while others will because the amount you tip through the purchase is quite a bit less than paying for each individual drink thus the bar/waitstaff is earning less.  You will see many opinions.  

Even though you've already paid tips when you bought the package, there's a line for tips.  There's that "guilt feeling" of crossing through that line and my daughter who had the package could not bring herself to do it so would up the amount to the nearest dollar.  if the drink was $13.20 she'd add $.80.  Another thing, you must allow at least 15 minutes in between drinks.  She learned that the hard way when she ordered a drink and didn't like it, so turned around and got something different.  Charge showed up on the bill.    

On 11/27/2021 at 4:00 PM, mondello said:

Be aware, both adult guests in cabin must purchase Cheers.

Good thing I am single

On 11/27/2021 at 9:29 PM, vwrestler171 said:

You can purchase it when onboard, but the price increases 10%.

Yeah but 10% isn't that much considering how like 90% will be paid for with my OBC 

1 hour ago, pamesacruisin said:

Even though you've already paid tips when you bought the package, there's a line for tips.  There's that "guilt feeling" of crossing through that line and my daughter who had the package could not bring herself to do it so would up the amount to the nearest dollar.  if the drink was $13.20 she'd add $.80.  Another thing, you must allow at least 15 minutes in between drinks.  She learned that the hard way when she ordered a drink and didn't like it, so turned around and got something different.  Charge showed up on the bill.    

I'd be really annoyed with the bartender for not telling me that. One night on Mardi Gras it was last call so my husband ordered 2 more drinks just a few minutes after we had gotten drinks. The bartender gave us the drinks and just waited 10 minutes to charge our cards. 

9 minutes ago, dcgrumpy said:

I'd be really annoyed with the bartender for not telling me that. One night on Mardi Gras it was last call so my husband ordered 2 more drinks just a few minutes after we had gotten drinks. The bartender gave us the drinks and just waited 10 minutes to charge our cards. 

Another time, DD ordered a gatorade to take back to her cabin and also ordered a drink, again not knowing she couldn't order 2 at once.  Of course, more expensive alcoholic drink got charged to our bill and gatorade was included in her drink package.🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pamesacruisin said:

Another thing, you must allow at least 15 minutes in between drinks. 

I just got off the Freedom a week ago and I had the Cheers! package.  The wait between drinks is 5 minutes.

I tried to get a second drink at a different bar and he had to run my card 3 times until the 5 minutes had elapsed and it would allow it to scan.

Personally I add a dollar tip to each drink to better reflect the amount I would tip on the price of the drinks without the plan and the fact that I typically tip 20 percent not 18 at home in any event. It's a tricky subject and something you'll have to think about based on how much and of what you drink. I think people on the ship work hard- long hours, few days off and in confined conditions. They deserve a full tip on each drink imho.    

• Like 2