Level 4??

netpj

Has anyone seen any updates on the Level 4 advisory for cruise ship travel outside of Canada?  The last statement in early November (which I think has been discussed previously) does not really state if the Level 4 Advisory still applies, so I'm wondering if anyone has seen anything more recently?  Of course, it is possible that Omicron could change everything again

3 hours ago, netpj said:

Has anyone seen any updates on the Level 4 advisory for cruise ship travel outside of Canada?  The last statement in early November (which I think has been discussed previously) does not really state if the Level 4 Advisory still applies, so I'm wondering if anyone has seen anything more recently?  Of course, it is possible that Omicron could change everything again

The GOC produces Travel Advice and Advisories. ( https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories ). As of today, there are 17 countries for which a Level 4 advisory has been issued, but there is no Advisory at any level for cruises.

However, there is travel Advice to "avoid all cruise ship travel outside of Canada". Note that the Travel Advice with respect to COVID-19 is up to date and makes specific mention of Omicron.

993447_ScreenShot2021-11-28at12_50_26PM.thumb.png.43373a5b812ff5c165327c41fb9f8a5d.png

The intent of Travel Advice and Advisories is to "provide Canadians with official information and advice from the Government of Canada on situations that may affect their safety and well-being abroad. They may include an advisory for a country or region where security conditions put Canadians at heightened risk."  From a traveller's perspective, I think that the the inclusion of the "avoid all cruise ship travel outside of Canada" under Advice rather than Advisory is rather confusing. And it must pose some problems for the travel insurance industry too. I suspect that the GOC must be experiencing some difficulty as well, as the who Travel Advice and Advisories system is based on countries and regions, not on modes of travel.

So to answer your question, no, there is no Level 4 Advisory against cruise ship travel, only COVID-19 Travel Advice.

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would agree, it is confusing. Last I checked CAA would not give coverage for cruise travel with covid coverage. I looked at Manulife Pandemic Plan and under section 10 Trip Interruption Exclusions & Limitations they mention the Gov’t of Canada “Avoid all Travel” in regards to country, region or city. No mention of cruising but using the same words has me wondering if it would be an issue.

2 hours ago, trips_ahoy said:

I would agree, it is confusing. Last I checked CAA would not give coverage for cruise travel with covid coverage. I looked at Manulife Pandemic Plan and under section 10 Trip Interruption Exclusions & Limitations they mention the Gov’t of Canada “Avoid all Travel” in regards to country, region or city. No mention of cruising but using the same words has me wondering if it would be an issue.

This is on the manulife COVID plan effective nov 18, under exceptions it states this  on the 1st page of the plan 

“ The Trip Interruption Exclusions & Limitations have changed.
The following wording has been deleted from the “What does Trip Interruption Insurance not cover?” section, page 8:
2. Any expenses due to an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada stating “Avoid all travel” regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your departure date.
To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site.
The following wording has been added in its place:
2. Any expenses due to an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada stating "Avoid all travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your departure date.
To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site.
Exception: This exclusion does not apply for claims due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications that you suffer or contract while you are on a cruise or any destination included in your cruise itinerary if you have received the vaccine. Children 11 years old or younger who are not eligible to receive the vaccine, are covered when travelling with at least one parent or guardian on the same cruise booking who has received the vaccine.

12 hours ago, trips_ahoy said:

Blue Cross does!

• Like 1