Royal's ships 2023/24

5 hours ago, springaussie said:

I am probably off the money here!

BUT 

A UK travel agent is advertising a 3 night cruise from Southampton 15 October 2023 on Icon. 

Miami cruises are being advertised as Early 2024.

Tonights big event is called the “Worlds Boldest Event.”

So does “World Boldest Event”mean a Promo cruise visiting Brisbane, Singapore and Hong Kong etc? 

What about Utopia? It’s going to be in service early to mid 2024 .

Everyone has forgot about it ,there’re’ s no port bookings for it .

Do you think they may switch-a-roo it for wonder ? 

Edited by Chiliburn

37 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

You would think they will have to bump some ships out of Florida.

With the strong $U.S , their best profits would be in the U.S. but 2 new ships coming , it going to get congested.

I think Anthem on the west coast split between Alaska and L.A over Christmas is a possibility.

3 Quantum in Alaska would be a big cash cow.

Seems that the Caribbean already has too much capacity in aggregate (not only from Royal).  I'd expect a trickle down of some sort around the time Icon starts sailing from Miami.  

3 Q-class in Alaska, presumably replacing one of the Radiance' class?  I imagine they'd sell it at good prices.  I could hope for a repo via South America.  Hope this doesn't re-open the debate about the Bridge of the Americas.  

You're right about profitability with current level of US dollar.  USD should fall back when the downturn takes hold.  Until then, it's great for people who are holding plenty of USDs. 😉 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

You would think they will have to bump some ships out of Florida.

With the strong $U.S , their best profits would be in the U.S. but 2 new ships coming , it going to get congested.

I think Anthem on the west coast split between Alaska and L.A over Christmas is a possibility.

3 Quantum in Alaska would be a big cash cow.

I remember five ships was a full house.  

Cruise weekly 20Oct2022

Royal considers Oasis deployment With the newly opened Brisbane International Cruise Terminal having capacity for Royal Caribbean International’s Oasisclass ships, the line continues to look at options for the world-class vessels to operate locally. Speaking to CW earlier this week, VP APAC Gavin Smith was enthusiastic about the new Brisbane facility, where Quantum of the Seas will be homeported from early next month. “We’ve finally got an Oasis class terminal, at the mouth of the Brisbane River, adjacent to the airport with plenty of parking - so go figure!” he said. Pre-pandemic, Royal’s Oasis plans had involved having ships in China complemented by a possible 10-12 week local deployment which would “just transform the industry”. “That hasn’t happened, but it’s still a big prospect,” he said. And despite a lack of other Oasis-capable ports in the region, the huge response to next year’s Disney Cruise Line local voyages, where the ship is effectively the destination, has suggested that “we can create an experience on an Oasis class ship,” Smith said. He said Royal had previously spoken to New Caledonia about whether an Oasis ship could get into Noumea’s container pier, which would only require some minor modifications. Royal’s planned “Perfect Day” destination at Vanuatu’s Lelepa Island is currently a tender port, and would require significant investment to give it an Oasiscapable terminal, Smith added. MEANWHILE for the moment the strong focus is on a safe, successful restart for Royal Caribbean in local waters, with Ovation of the Seas arriving in Sydney on 29 Oct, followed by Quantum’s Brisbane debut. Smith said the Queensland season would see Royal carry about 90,000 passengers on 20 departures, with the company targeting about 40,000 local cruisers from South East Qld, about 45,000 from interstate, mainly Vic and SA, and around 5,000 internationals.

@Chiliburn, Interesting article!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodscruise said:

Cruise weekly 20Oct2022

Royal considers Oasis deployment With the newly opened Brisbane International Cruise Terminal having capacity for Royal Caribbean International’s Oasisclass ships, the line continues to look at options for the world-class vessels to operate locally. Speaking to CW earlier this week, VP APAC Gavin Smith was enthusiastic about the new Brisbane facility, where Quantum of the Seas will be homeported from early next month. “We’ve finally got an Oasis class terminal, at the mouth of the Brisbane River, adjacent to the airport with plenty of parking - so go figure!” he said. Pre-pandemic, Royal’s Oasis plans had involved having ships in China complemented by a possible 10-12 week local deployment which would “just transform the industry”. “That hasn’t happened, but it’s still a big prospect,” he said. And despite a lack of other Oasis-capable ports in the region, the huge response to next year’s Disney Cruise Line local voyages, where the ship is effectively the destination, has suggested that “we can create an experience on an Oasis class ship,” Smith said. He said Royal had previously spoken to New Caledonia about whether an Oasis ship could get into Noumea’s container pier, which would only require some minor modifications. Royal’s planned “Perfect Day” destination at Vanuatu’s Lelepa Island is currently a tender port, and would require significant investment to give it an Oasiscapable terminal, Smith added. MEANWHILE for the moment the strong focus is on a safe, successful restart for Royal Caribbean in local waters, with Ovation of the Seas arriving in Sydney on 29 Oct, followed by Quantum’s Brisbane debut. Smith said the Queensland season would see Royal carry about 90,000 passengers on 20 departures, with the company targeting about 40,000 local cruisers from South East Qld, about 45,000 from interstate, mainly Vic and SA, and around 5,000 internationals.

Interesting article Michael , thanks.

A couple of things, oasis doesn’t tender and there’s not even a jetty on Lelepa . 

P.S  If you are looking for a bargain, have a look at Ovation on the 16th of November ,that’s in a few weeks,It’s only half full . Even the Royal suite is available.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Interesting article Michael , thanks.

A couple of things, oasis doesn’t tender and there’s not even a jetty on Lelepa . 

P.S  If you are looking for a bargain, have a look at Ovation on the 16th of November ,that’s in a few weeks,It’s only half full . Even the Royal suite is available.

Thanks Philip. We are actually cruising then on Majestic. 

10 hours ago, woodscruise said:

Cruise weekly 20Oct2022

Interesting article  - I like the projections - 90,000 passengers on 20 departures, with company targeting 40,000 local cruisers from SEQld., 45,000 from interstate, mainly Vic and SA, and around 5,000 internationals.

Something the company mightn't have expected is the increased cost of airfares in Australia following covid.  This could make an interstate cruise for a family of four very expensive.  

Brisbane is an international airport, so I was surprised around only 5,000 internationals.  This figure could improve once South Pacific and PNG cruises are more attractive to consumers.  .   

5 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Here’s a pretty good video on Icon .

Do you think Royal Caribbean is becoming more like Disney all the time ?

Cruising is getting more expensive for families. 

In my youth, we holidayed on the islands and the mountain resorts on Lamington Tableland.  These holidays were full of activities.  We didn't spend an extra penny, apart from a cruise to GBR.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Cruising is getting more expensive for families. 

In my youth, we holidayed on the islands and the mountain resorts on Lamington Tableland.  These holidays were full of activities.  We didn't spend an extra penny, apart from a cruise to GBR.

Looks like they let a bunch of kids loose with jellybean coloured spray paints.  

15 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It doesn’t say when or what ship but I would say Navigator,April/May  2024 

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/exclusive-royal-carribbean-expects-to-homeport-in-brisbane-year-round/

Finally Gavin has gone public on this subject.  I guess it indicates they have firmed up their plans a bit.  

I'd have thought the winter ship will either be the Brisbane summer season ship at the time (probably still Quantum) or the smaller ship in Sydney (whether that's Radiance class or another).  Don't know whether they can fill Quantum initially for the winter season.  

Brilliance to Brisbane for the southern winter and Anthem goes to Alaska in its place?  

Interesting article about cruising from Brisbane.

Interesting to see Gavin say it will be 3 ports on a 7 night cruise from Brisbane. Why can’t that happen now like P&O and Carnival?

As for what ship Brisbane will get who knows.

The booked spaces at the Cruise Terminal in Brisbane are already booked out for a P&O cruise in December. Parking still available for the cruise if spaces are available on the day.

I have been watching P&O and Carnival pricing during Winter for a few years now. They are certainly cheaper during Winter and Royal would not make the money on having a ship here compared to Alaska and the Mediterranean routes. (Sorry to say)

1 minute ago, geoff2802 said:

Do you reckon Gav is also using BICT as a lever to get the NSW government off their butts? 

That’s in the way of another cruise terminal?  
Yes but N.SW is pretty well stretched with the new airport , the services and there’s multiple Metros in the pipeline.

I think the best option at the moment for a new terminal is to move some of the container terminal operations to Newcastle.

Apparently there’s legislation that restriction Newcastle in favour of Port Botany and Newcastle is screaming about it.They want more containers.

But GAV seems to be on a mission after coming back from Vanuatu.

6 minutes ago, springaussie said:

Interesting article about cruising from Brisbane.

Interesting to see Gavin say it will be 3 ports on a 7 night cruise from Brisbane. Why can’t that happen now like P&O and Carnival?

As for what ship Brisbane will get who knows.

The booked spaces at the Cruise Terminal in Brisbane are already booked out for a P&O cruise in December. Parking still available for the cruise if spaces are available on the day.

I have been watching P&O and Carnival pricing during Winter for a few years now. They are certainly cheaper during Winter and Royal would not make the money on having a ship here compared to Alaska and the Mediterranean routes. (Sorry to say)

P&O has got some good itineraries but I would gladly pay twice the price for some decent food.

7 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

That’s in the way of another cruise terminal?  
Yes but N.SW is pretty well stretched with the new airport , the services and there’s multiple Metros in the pipeline.

I think the best option at the moment for a new terminal is to move some of the container terminal operations to Newcastle.

Apparently there’s legislation that restriction Newcastle in favour of Port Botany and Newcastle is screaming about it.They want more containers.

But GAV seems to be on a mission after coming back from Vanuatu.

"That’s in the way of another cruise terminal?" ...Yes. 

Yep, NSW has got a lot of projects under way and they'll all be late and over budget.  

The Botany container terminal is probably leased long term to Patrick or one of the other stevedores.  

34 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

P&O has got some good itineraries but I would gladly pay twice the price for some decent food.

But Gavin will just visit the same ports each week.

I will admit Royal Food is better.

The Brisbane Cruise Terminal still is showing bookings for Winter 2023 for Carnival Luminosa when it is in Alaska. ( Watch this space)

1 minute ago, springaussie said:

The Brisbane Cruise Terminal still is showing bookings for Winter 2023 for Carnival Luminosa when it is in Alaska. ( Watch this space)

I would be good if Royal did a bit of something out of the ordinary.

Me and my friends would love to visit the  PNG WW11 war sites on P&O but the food. I think the soldiers would have eaton better.

I’m not into fine dining but I just want basic,fresh,good food.

43 minutes ago, springaussie said:

I'd have thought winter itineraries would be the same North Qld and South Pac as summer.   No NZ, Tasmania or NSW.  I reckon they can make it work.  

39 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I would be good if Royal did a bit of something out of the ordinary.

Me and my friends would love to visit the  PNG WW11 war sites on P&O but the food. I think the soldiers would have eaton better.

I’m not into fine dining but I just want basic,fresh,good food.

Me too!  I've been looking for a winter PNG itinerary for a few years now.  Princess run it in the summer - not the best time.  I haven't been keen enough to go to P&O.  Will Royal ever do it?  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, geoff2802 said:

Me too!  I've been looking for a winter PNG itinerary for a few years now.  Princess run it in the summer - not the best time.  I haven't been keen enough to go to P&O.  Will Royal ever do it?  

I thought Carnival  had exclusive use of PNG. 
Royal did visit PNG on Legend or Rhapsody years ago. 
Geoff hopefully they do mix the cruises up with a North Queensland and South Pacific’s  if it happens during Winter.