Issue using curling irons/hair straighteners on Mardi Gras

cruisegirl1976

23 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

When I plugged mine in on MG while we were still in port it did not work (ceramic straightener).  When we were underway and my luggage arrived, I used my multiple extension cord thing - and it worked just fine plugged into that.  Don't ask me why.

Did the extension cord have a 3 prong or 2 prong plug into the outlet?

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 4:57 AM, chengkp75 said:

I was part of another thread that discussed this problem, and it appears that the newer ceramic curling irons/straighteners are the culprit.  The semi-conductors that generate the heat in these ceramic irons require the neutral and ground to be at the same potential, which they are not on ships.  I've heard of problems with Dyson hair care products as well.

On 12/3/2021 at 6:02 PM, RoperDK said:

I have heard of this, but haven't received a clear answer to why.  I use a hair straightener because my hair gets downright scary in humidity! 😨  We just came off the Mardi Gras and I took four (count them 4!) different hair irons onboard.  My preferred one worked all week.  I don't know why, but happy about it.  Just beware that this could be a problem and bring a different type as a backup.   

This is your answer.  Never doubt chengkp75

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi, I am not sure if you are still interested. However, when I got on The Mardi Gras April 2022 with my titanium straightener it did not work. I brought a cheap basic curl from a market in the Bahamas and it worked fine in the room. I have cruised several times with other straightening irons and I never had a problem. I was so upset and almost considered the salon but I couldn’t take the chance of no one being able to accommodate African American hair. I will be on the Magic again in July so I will be prepared.

Oh no ... I wish I would have read this sooner!  Yes, I had the same problem, the light would come on, but it wouldn't heat at all, so I assumed it was damaged in my travels and threw it away on the ship. ☹️ (I'm still trying to replace it).

We have been on approximately 20 cruises, and I've never had this issue before, so it never occurred to me it could be the ship (especially such a new one). 

1 hour ago, csm5986142 said:

Oh no ... I wish I would have read this sooner!  Yes, I had the same problem, the light would come on, but it wouldn't heat at all, so I assumed it was damaged in my travels and threw it away on the ship. ☹️ (I'm still trying to replace it).

We have been on approximately 20 cruises, and I've never had this issue before, so it never occurred to me it could be the ship (especially such a new one). 

The issue isn't the ship. It's the design of certain curling irons.

• 2 weeks later...

WARNING - Just adding in about hair dryer in drawer. I have mid length hair, thought for short cruise without a beach option, it would be ok use cabins hairdryer. Yes, power a bit lower, - the venting out back of dryer started sucking my hair into it. My husband had to extract me from hair dryer (thankfully minorly.) 

My flat iron worked fine, then another time I got ready to use it, it wouldn't heat up at all.  I unplugged a razor and boom, it immediately started heating up. So my theory is the flat iron draws a lot of power and if you have something else plugged in drawing power, one of them won't work. If your flat iron isn't working, unplug something else while you use it.

My wife Patti had the same issue, so she bought another one in San Juan which worked fine. Brought the first one home and it works fine. The newer one now lives in her travel bag. 😎