Pre embarcation covid testing- how/when/where?

klkaylor78

We are on the 10 day MIami-Miami and are fully vaccinated.

Understanding that we need at PCR or antigen test on 8/9/10 Dec prior to boarding and was wondering what/where folks were planning to test.

We have some emed monitored self antigen tests which are approved and were planning to use this method. 

However as a back up we have considered testing at MIA on the 8th (we always want to be in port city one day early but cheeper flight on the 8th so...)

Alternate is testing at a south beach location on the 9th.

Interested in how others are working through this issue

Seabourn allows the monitored home test. As a negative test in hand is critical, i.e. miss the ship- having a plan B is worthwhile.  I know of folks who bring two tests for each person as the Binax now home test have a failure rate. 

We lost/rescheduled a maldives test when a lab broke my wife sample so maybe we are just a little too careful with backup plans. 

I always get to the port city a day or two early as well - maybe it is just me

4 hours ago, klkaylor78 said:

Seabourn allows the monitored home test.

I assume you're referring to a US resident departing from the US? What test is acceptable depends on where you're embarking. If you're sailing out of Barbados, for instance, you need a non-home PCR test to be admitted to the country, even though Seabourn might accept an alternate type of test.

I've just seen this..

For our cruise in January, I think we will have to pay more for a guaranteed same day result as it's just too risky to hope a result comes through whilst we're on the plane from UK to US !  

New rules requiring international air travelers arriving in the United States to obtain a negative COVID-19 test within one day of travel will take effect Monday at 12:01 a.m. ET (0501 GMT), according to an order issued late Thursday.

Under current rules, vaccinated international air travelers can present a negative test result obtained within three days of their day of departure.

We'll be on the Odyssey sailing Dec 18.  Miami airport has a testing site in the Central terminal, "Concourse E, ground level median, in front of Door 11" which will do PCR testing with a choice of either a 40 minute or 24 hour result, they say "tests range from $79 to $179".  I called & asked about reservations, they don't take them but said "it won't take very long, no reservation necessary".   Would love for that to be true.

I've gotten a great amount of valuable info from this site over the last few months, so as we go through the embarkation process and find ourselves onboard, I'll try to return the favor here with any large or small issues we face along the way - to "pay it forward" so to speak.

https://news.miami-airport.com/covid-19-testing-available-daily-at-mia-starting-may-21/

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Just curious: why would you need a test in Miami?

The way our air works, it's too early (further in advance than 72 hours) to get the Barbados-entrance test here at home, before we leave.  And in between, we get into LAX late at night, and fly out to Miami early the next morning, so post-flight in Miami was just about the only way/place we could make it work. Coming back, I don't really know what new plans/tests will be in place to return to the country, due to Omicron variables, etc.  Once we're back to Miami I'm pretty sure we won't need another test just to get back to Hawai'i.....unless the powers-that-be change that, of course.  But we'll do whatever we have to.

I am interested in the monitored home test kits described above, I certainly agree that when it comes to travel (especially these days) it can never hurt to have contingency plans.  I think I have the info Seabourn sent out with the details somewhere, but if someone posts just a brief description here I might find it easier than I would with Seabourn literature....plus others can see as well.

• Thanks 1

...answering my own question:  I went to the site Seabourn recommends and ordered eMed home tests to have sent in advance, so I'll have more than one option as the whole thing plays out.  In our case, too early take the tests before we leave the house, but ought to be able to administer somewhere along the way.

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack?utm_source=carnival&utm_medium=referral&utm_term=&utm_content=2-pack&utm_campaign=travel_ready_covid_test&utm_nooverride=1

We are on the same cruise 

made an appointment at alliance health, 

584 nw 27th Miami 

75.00 results on 15 minutes 

gary and sue, Denver 

by the way has your embarkation time been changed, ours has several times 

Gary,

I have just checked this site with its location and the self-pay price shows as $150 for rapid antigen in 15 minutes, not $75. Am I missing something?

If not then I am going to Miami Airport’s facility for the $78 version.

Happy and healthy sailing!

We're on the Odyssey from December 18th too.  Our boarding times have changed three times, one of them at our request.  It matters not as long as we are cleared eventually to sip that first glass of champagne and toast our good fortune. 🤞🥂

Miss Merry.

Just read all of the above post - glad we are not going out of Barbados.  I just looked at their rules and they are confusing.  To use the term standard PCR test is not very helpful - it would be better if they listed the tests they accept.  At this point the speed of the test is not as important as type of test - nucleic v. antigen v. antibody.  The antigen and antibody were traditionally rapid due to the method of testing (florescent antibody), but now there are 30 min rt-PCR test so...  

I too looked at the MIA testing as an option but we are going to try and do our eMed monitored test on the evening of the 8th and back it up with a rapid test site in South Beach.  I did a search and there are several on the island near resorts so...

One note is that the monitored home tests are antigen test not NAAT (the full spectrum of nucleic tests of witch rt-PCR is one type.) They will work for Seabourn for US embarkation and return US flights.  Here is the link for ordering the Binax now test kits from eMed- https://www.emed.com.  

I wonder why folks don't need a test for US entry/reentry via ships, cars, trains, and ground?  I am taking two extra test kits incase we need to test to get off the Ovation if they change the rules

I will try to remember to post how our 10 Dec cruise embarkation and testing went.   

re the "boarding time" discussion, I was all set to say "we've sailed with Seabourn nine times now, and never have we experienced (or seen anyone) have any problem with boarding time, whenever they showed up".   Just a few moments ago, I got my third email notice re boarding time - now 3:40p.  Last time, it was 1:00p.  Can't remember the time of the one before.  So.... changeably manicured "boarding times" (seemingly an odd phrase, for relatively tiny ships) are getting curiouser and curiouser.....thank you, Covid.  😱

Im on my third, 1400, 1300, 1320. Interesting the list groups, like A, B, C - hatted when I got downgraded from B to C - not sure what I did wrong but - maybe my grammar or spelling - have to wait till they return the test they want me to take.  

Now on my fourth change. Now 1340. This is now ridiculous in that I had to change my boarding passes in my phone for the fourth time. Not hard just annoying.  My wife will want a back up printed version but as we are already on the road I’ll have to find a print method. Had to change my transfer pick up time.as well so as to not arrive too early. I know these are all first world issues but there literature seems to be vey rigid I do t want to be too early.  Which I knew how they are determine boarding times -club status, suite type, deck, age. Glad there covid test is two days not 48 hrs or I would be constantly changing my testing time as well

Got to the hotel late due to a late flight. Still decided to do the eMed test to get it out of the way.  
Get your test kit out but don’t open! find a flat surface to work on and have a picture I’d ready.

we started using the NAVICA app, picked our test type, scan barcode and pushed to log onto eMed on a desktop. Ignore that and just open a browser on phone or iPad. Answer the eMed question and proctored call is started. We had only a 1-2 min wait but others report 30 min. Lot of little steps but easy to follow. eMed will switch between front and rear camera.  It is helpful, almost mandatory, to have someone hold the phone for you as you complete the steps.  
there is a 15 min wait time for the test in which you must leave your device on.  The proctor returns as the timer runs out. You show them the card again and confirm the results together. Results are the emailed yo you and loaded into navica app.  Total time about 35 min.  
We did print the results as aback up but will confirm that he navica app works tomorrow.  So total cost of $50 for two tests in the comfort of the hotel. Will order more for our March trip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, perhaps you can clear something up:   there seems to be a little confusion as to whether these eMed / Navica self-administered tests are accepted for entry into Barbados, or just re-entry into the USA, after a cruise.  On the one hand, Seabourn recommends the tests (and I've ordered and received), here:

"We have partnered with Optum so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to your door in 3 business days or less. These at-home tests include a personal virtually video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides will help you properly administer the test and verify the results, within 15 minutes."

However, elsewhere I read this: 

Is a self-test acceptable? 
Barbados
Per the Barbados Travel Protocols, self-tests are not acceptable. This includes

• Self-administered tests (even if the sample was taken under the supervision of a healthcare provider)
  • Home kits

Not clear what entry these tests are accepted for, and what they're not....?  Any clarification will be appreciated!

My reading is that Seabourn will accept monitored home tests for boarding but that Barbados will only accept standard rt-pcr tests. My interpretation would be that the more stringent - molecular test v. Antigen test is required. The Seabourn Barbados FAQ is quite different from the US FAQ