On board PCR testing?

netpj

As Canadians, we require a PCR test to be done no earlier 72 hours prior to flight departure to Canada.  Presently, we are due to disembark in Barbados and fly back on the same day.  We have received conflicting responses from Silversea about whether or not onboard PCR testing will be done.  Has anyone had any actual experience with this recently?  Thanks!

Before I booked my trip on the Moon in October I asked, and Silversea said they could/would take care of it.  And, they did.  It is not done onboard.

At the beginning of the trip I inquired at reception, and they arranged the PCR in Italy with the right timing so that the report was in my passport when i disembarked.   PCR testing for travel is not done onboard.

Just had this arrive today for upcoming Sth America cruise.

• All disembarking guests will be required to undergo a complimentary COVID-19 rapid antigen test. Should you require a PCR Test, please contact your Silversea Representative or onboard team as this will have to be pre-arranged. Please note that this will incur a nominal fee, which may vary according to the destination, and will be provided through a third-party provider.
  • For your return journey, you are responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements—those of your country and the countries through which you are transiting, which may include additional COVID-19 testing.

After leaving the US, we then have 7 countries to visit. I'm hoping and assuming SS does take care of any form filling and entry details. I expect there may be late notice changes and country demands.

• Country requirements: While Silversea will facilitate entry into each port of call during each voyage, guests are responsible for complying with entry requirements for the country of embarkation, as well as the travel requirements affecting their return journeys.

Edited by les37b

When I was on the Muse in September I was told that they had a PCR machine on board but it was no use for me because I need a PCR from certified lab to get back into Bermuda. The ship lab is not a certified lab. They said the onboard tests were only to verify antigen test results if positive, they’re not meant for travel testing. 
From reading other posts here it seems SS arranges a PCR ashore in a port a couple of days before disembarkation, you go ashore to do it, get back on the ship and the result is emailed to you. 
Both that cruise and my next one have two sea days before disembarkation so I’m stuck, I just have to stay in my port of disembarkation for a few days to get my own test and then apply for my Bermuda Travel Authorisation , it’s not just a matter of having a negative test before flying home. 

To the OP - you can get a rapid PCR at Miami airport if your flights take you that route but you’d need to look at timing. Otherwise it depends on what ports you will be in on the days before disembarkation - I wouldn’t necessarily count on getting a test with a prompt result. 

PS I do expect that SS will do antigen tests on board if needed to get into the US. 

Edited by jollyjones

Thanks very much for this post.  You have confirmed what we thought.  In our case, particularly because of the holiday period, as far as we know we'll not be able to get a test in another port prior to disembarking.  We just wish Silversea would respond to all our queries with detailed information.

netpj - 

Thinking about your issue I seem to recall that the few Canadians on my Muse Alaska cruise went to Seattle airport after disembarkation and got a rapid PCR to fly home.

I don't know what your researches into Barbados are showing you but I'm pretty sure that option isn't available, you can get a PCR but you'd almost certainly need to stay there a day or two or even three to get the result.

In your position, I'd use the SS antigen test to get to the US directly after disembarkation, then get a rapid PCR wherever you land. You still might need an overnight stay before flying home but it'd be more reliable. But I don't know what your flight situation is.

I am resigned for my next cruise to staying in Miami for three days (ugh) after disembarkation at Port Everglades solely to get my test and Bermuda Travel Authorisation. And for the cruise after that I've booked time in London for the same reason (but I love London, so that's OK).

I don't know how long it'll be before I'll be able to cruise and expect to fly home on disembarkation day, but I'm not holding my breath.

Just the cost of cruising for now.

Thank you again for your comments.  We now also have a new complication because Canada has imposed on arrival airport testing (because of Omicron) in addition to the PCR within 72 hours of flying!  Owing to this added complexity, we wish there was some way to cancel the cruise at this point but that cannot be done.  Lack of communication from Silversea has not helped.  For now, we have booked a couple of nights in Barbados in order to get the test.  We can fly direct from Barbados to Toronto without having to go through the US so that is preferable for us.  We should have learned our lesson by now as we had a family emergency in the UK over the summer and had to go through all kinds of testing and quarantine hoops.  We just hope this cruise is worth all the aggravation!