snorkeling Bahamas during covid

xyzcruiser

I usually cruise 2-3 times a year but haven't since I had to cancel 3 in 2020 due to covid.  I'm ready to begin cruising again and am thinking of starting with a 7day Bahamas cruise out of Baltimore this spring.  I usually snorkel at all ports where appropriate, not much interested in a beach day or sightseeing.  Since I've been to all the islands before I have my favorite spots and have my own equipment and will most often take a cab to a beach snorkel or purchase an excursion on shore if a boat is required to get to the reef. I've been looking at the forums for current information on how cruise snorkeling has been affected by covid restrictions but didn't find much.  Anyone with some current info about   Bahamas snorkeling and restrictions? I really don't want to book a ship's excursion unless absolutely necessary. Thanks for your help.

I suppose it depends on the cruise line and the location. We just got off a RCI ship Sunday. First cruise since 2019.  We were in on their private island, Coco Cay, Mexico and Roatan. Had no problem snorkeling off the ship. No ship restrictions and no restrictions on shore except for mask wearing. The Bahamas may be different depending on the country you visit.  

I will say that last summer some cruise lines were requiring any shore excursions be booked through the ship. You were not allowed off the ship unless you were on a ship excursion. That has loosened up some recently. It may change again by the time you sail in the spring.

We have two cruises booked next year, one in Feb and one in March. Neither of them are in the Bahamas however.

• 7 months later...
On 12/7/2021 at 12:12 PM, xyzcruiser said:

I usually cruise 2-3 times a year but haven't since I had to cancel 3 in 2020 due to covid.  I'm ready to begin cruising again and am thinking of starting with a 7day Bahamas cruise out of Baltimore this spring.  I usually snorkel at all ports where appropriate, not much interested in a beach day or sightseeing.  Since I've been to all the islands before I have my favorite spots and have my own equipment and will most often take a cab to a beach snorkel or purchase an excursion on shore if a boat is required to get to the reef. I've been looking at the forums for current information on how cruise snorkeling has been affected by covid restrictions but didn't find much.  Anyone with some current info about   Bahamas snorkeling and restrictions? I really don't want to book a ship's excursion unless absolutely necessary. Thanks for your help.

How is the snorkeling in Nassau?  Is it worth spending the money to snorkel there?  Also have you snorkeled off the beach at Cococay?  I would appreciate your input.  

I recently did a diving trip in Nassau/Paradise Island. As I understand it, the only operator left on the island is Stuart Cove's. It's a pretty big operation, with 4 large boats making multiple trips per day. They seemed to manage several cruise ships worth of snorkelers/divers every day. They have branded buses which pick up and drop off at the cruise terminal.

I found the diving in Nassau to be lackluster. It wasn't "bad" but I don't think I'd book another trip there. If the diving wasn't great, I can't imagine the snorkeling being very good.