North Sea Rough Water?

skandls

We are planning a Northern Europe cruise next summer (2007). I was told that the seas can get rough later in the summer. When is the best time of year to have a better chance of smooth sailing? I don't do well in bouncy waters. Also we think we want to do Celebrity (I like the Milli class ships) or Holland (because of the new cooking classes). Any comments would be appreciated.

As many have indicated, the North Sea is unpredictable. I have crossed the North Sea twice recently in Summer on almost identical routes. First on August 9 Oslo to Harwich - one of my worst experience of very high seas and gale force winds. Everyone was sick, and I spent the day in bed. That didn't stop me from going back the next year on August 23 when we travelled from Oslo to Amsterdam - and this time it was calm as a mirror with hardly a ripple on the surface. I also learned that in addition to waves the wind also plays a major role in deciding if a sailing is smooth.

There is really no way to predict if there is any good time in the North Sea.Like the OP I have been in the NS when it was as calm as could be,and another when it was rough,but not as bad as it could have been I suppose.Like our weather this winter..one day 60 the next 30 degress.Usually the ship will have some good meds for those who need it so I would say just go and enjoy and hope for the best.Sorry can't help re the ships as have not sailed on them.

We did a Baltic Cruise on the Jewel of Seas in late May/early June of 2004 out of Harwich England. The North Sea was very calm going in both directions. Unfortunately, there are never any guarantees with the weather. I would just book whatever time is good for you and enjoy! Cruising that part of the world was fantastic.

• 2 months later...
We did a Baltic Cruise on the Jewel of Seas in late May/early June of 2004 out of Harwich England. The North Sea was very calm going in both directions. Unfortunately, there are never any guarantees with the weather. I would just book whatever time is good for you and enjoy! Cruising that part of the world was fantastic.

hobo-what is the weather like that time of the year? We are leaving on May 14 on the Jewel out of Harwich?

I have crossed the northsea various times, never had problems. Just keep your fingers crossed, there are no guarantees.

May can still be chilly, but in the region you never know. Be prepared to dress in layers, keep an umbrella in sight.

• 1 month later...

There were pretty rough seas in the North Sea on the May 15 cruise on the way to Oslo. Intense fog also. Lot of fog horns blowing. Rocked many people to sleep. I guess it is hard to predict. But a beautiful day in Oslo!!

we had one day (evening) of rough seas in late August on Constellation...our poor assistant waiter was quite seasick, but thanks to Bonine, I was fine (and I'm pretty susceptible to seasickness) I think it's just luck of the draw.

Archived