Ketchikan Day

Autumnz

Hello,

We'll be doing 14 days on land prior to our Southbound Cruise.  For our day in Ketchikan, I am thinking I would like to see more local/nature than touristy.  I am thinking of doing creek street/wandering town on our own, and I was looking at a Taxi to totem bight.  But, taxi's are expensive and not sure it's "that much better" than Saxon Village.  I hear Saxon isn't great without a tour, and "required tour" just seems like a red flag for "touristy".  I was also looking at taking a taxi in the afternoon to walk Rainbird Trail from the library.  There are private Ketchikan tours for about $400 for 4 hours (lunch creek/falls) which sound like a good plan (no planning on our part/easy), but that's expensive when I'm sure a day on our own would be just as good (or no?).  Note- we would split the tour cost with my parents who are traveling with us, so $200 tour out of pocket really.

So- what does an "on your own" itinerary look like that isn't "touristy flair" based.  We are in town 9-5ish.

Thanks for input (and no we do not want to rent a car).

Have you considered renting a car? That's what I usually do - from Alaska Car Rental. The cost is about $100 for the day and their office is about a mile from the dock. I usually walk over, but they will pick you up after 8:00 AM. That way you have complete flexibility with your schedule. I prefer the setting and totems at Totem Bight, although both places are nice. There's a multi-agency trail book for Ketchikan (https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5413489.pdf), with excellent descriptions of the trails. Some you can walk to from the dock, others you have to drive.

While our OP has stated they do not want to rent a car, I would also suggest they reconsider.

But if they are interested in totem poles I would suggest the Totem Heritage Center.  This totem museum is operated by the city of Ketchikan, and is walkable from the cruise ship docks.

Some of the answer depends on what cruise line you are on. NCL is way out of town close to Totem Bright at Ward Cove. From downtown we had a nice trip on the city bus and caught it at library which is one stop further away from ship but before everyone else tries to get a seat. Senior rates and spend time there and catch the next bus back (actually the same bus that had gone north and turned around). Someone described a hiking tour where they we able to view bears eating salmon in the creek but I just told you everything about that. Sightcrr