Definitely, not live from the Allure December 11, 2021.

xpcdoojk

So, today on my lunch break, I addressed the mess my Xmas display is….  5 of my inflatibles were down. A wreath over the driveway fixture was down.  Apparently, when I was getting phone calls from the security system people on Friday night while in Fort Lauderdale, we had a heck of a storm 50mph winds, rain, etc.  So, most of my inflatables had the stakes completely pulled out of the ground several strings were broken.  So, I have roughly fixed this.  The big inflatables come with a bonus fuse, good thing as several had the fuse blown.  I replaced the ones that had a spare, but 2 large ones had already used their spare in the past.  So, I ordered 12 new fuses from Amazon, and they are scheduled for Friday.  Sigh.  

Filled out the survey today.  

Can’t wait to go again.  I booked (on hold) airfare for just the 12 night Israel cruise on the Odyssey.  If we go it will be that bit and not the TA.  I am not thrilled about the FlowRider on that ship, so if we go I may not take my board since there are only two sea days and the wave sucks anyway.  

Sigh….

jc

• Like 1

xpcdoojk  - we were looking at the compass for our upcoming Oasis cruise and all the Flowrider sessions are labeled as "advanced stand up" now. On past cruises, they usually had the first hour of the day for "advanced" only. And the rest of the day, they had staff helping the newbies.

Have they just renamed the stand up side as "advanced" to try to deter people from it? Or, is it a covid issue where they don't want staff so close to guests, so you have to be able to self-start any time you use the flowrider?

58 minutes ago, beckyjohns said:

Or, is it a covid issue where they don't want staff so close to guests, so you have to be able to self-start any time you use the flowrider?

This. It seems the policy is that they give you 3 tries and if you can't stand up for a bit on your own, you are out - it does thin out the newbies.

Biker, who is under no illusion this policy will stay much longer.

Edited by Biker19

On 12/28/2021 at 6:47 AM, beckyjohns said:

xpcdoojk  - we were looking at the compass for our upcoming Oasis cruise and all the Flowrider sessions are labeled as "advanced stand up" now. On past cruises, they usually had the first hour of the day for "advanced" only. And the rest of the day, they had staff helping the newbies.

Have they just renamed the stand up side as "advanced" to try to deter people from it? Or, is it a covid issue where they don't want staff so close to guests, so you have to be able to self-start any time you use the flowrider?

Yeah, what Biker said.  The policy was pretty much ignored.  

So, they way it worked was, everyone was assumed to be able to launch themselves.  At the desk you are given two bands when you sign the waivers.  A white band and a green paper band they write advanced or ADV or similar.  Then when you launch yourself and show stability on the wave and generally appear to have some level of ability to ride the wave, they cut both bands off after the run, and replace it with a blue band.  Once you achieve a blue band no amount of clumsiness on the wave can get your advanced stand-up time pulled.  If you failed to show stability sometimes they would cut just the green band, and tell the person, you can try again tomorrow.  This happened several times the first couple of days.  After that the staff would continue to allow most of the non-advanced people to continue in the line.  Rarely were they told to come back tomorrow.  

The staff, no longer defaults to holding the persons hands face to face due to covid to help them stabilize themselves on the wave.  This is not to say, I didn’t see the staff doing exactly that to help new stand-up riders.  

The white band allows you to use the flowrider for boogie boarding, the green band allows you to try stand-up.  The Blue band allows you full use of the FlowRiders.  

JC