Amex cruise benefits question

Jammu2

Greetings!

Question about Amex Cruise Benefits. We booked a cruise on Solstice for next year through MLife. We paid the deposit with our platinum amex card. The amex code was entered and when we went to view the cruise on the Celebrity website, the shipboard credit was visible to us. Also, the invoice from Celebrity showed the amex code, and all the benefits and credit we had purchased and had been granted through the various promotions.

Our parents do not get MLife benefits, so we booked their cruise through one of the well known online travel agencies. Not the big box one. The agent stated that onboard credit would not be granted until final payment. And the other purchases, like classic bev pkg ans tips etc would not be visible until sailing. The Celebrity invoice did not show any shipboard credit. The amex code was not listed. Nor were any of the travel agency benefits. Is this normal?

The issue here is the dining package sale. We would like to use onboard credit to purchase the packages but they are not showing any. 

I’m not understanding.  You booked using MLife.  You got the benefits.  You couldn’t book them thru MLife because they are not eligible.  Did you use your Amex card and expect them to get the bennies that way?  Please clarify.  Maybe to yourself as well as us.  EM

28 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I’m not understanding.  You booked using MLife.  You got the benefits.  You couldn’t book them thru MLife because they are not eligible.  Did you use your Amex card and expect them to get the bennies that way?  Please clarify.  Maybe to yourself as well as us.  EM

Got the amex bennies (as well as the MLife price) thru the MLife travel agent. 

The Amex Cruise Benefits are different. You get them when booking with an Amex partner. The online cruise agency assured us they were a Partner (and not merely accepting the card). 

The reason we did not book the parents through the MLife travel agent was because they were not eligible for MLife pricing. The question is about the Amex cruise benefits which they are eligible for.

Edited by Jammu2
Typo/clarity

11 hours ago, Jammu2 said:

Greetings!

Question about Amex Cruise Benefits. We booked a cruise on Solstice for next year through MLife. We paid the deposit with our platinum amex card. The amex code was entered and when we went to view the cruise on the Celebrity website, the shipboard credit was visible to us. Also, the invoice from Celebrity showed the amex code, and all the benefits and credit we had purchased and had been granted through the various promotions.

Our parents do not get MLife benefits, so we booked their cruise through one of the well known online travel agencies. Not the big box one. The agent stated that onboard credit would not be granted until final payment. And the other purchases, like classic bev pkg ans tips etc would not be visible until sailing. The Celebrity invoice did not show any shipboard credit. The amex code was not listed. Nor were any of the travel agency benefits. Is this normal?

The issue here is the dining package sale. We would like to use onboard credit to purchase the packages but they are not showing any. 

With my TA, the extra OBC I get from them does NOT show up until I board the cruise. Once I am on the ship, we can see the additional funds that are available. The dining package on board costs the same as pre-cruise, unless there is some sort of sale.

Edited by neverlaysup

I am curious how you were able to get the MLife price plus the Amex benefit?  Did you go through number provided by Mlife?  That number routes to Celebrity’s blue chip club.  The terms for the Amex cruise benefit states that “Cruise Privileges Program - Platinum Cardmembers are eligible for the following privileges, which may change or be substituted from time to time without notice.. Bookings must be made through Platinum Card Travel Service and charged to your Platinum Card. Actual Cardmember must be travelling in order to receive the benefit.” it has to be booked through Amex which is their travel service department like a TA.

16 hours ago, BennyBrun said:

I am curious how you were able to get the MLife price plus the Amex benefit?  Did you go through number provided by Mlife?  That number routes to Celebrity’s blue chip club.  The terms for the Amex cruise benefit states that “Cruise Privileges Program - Platinum Cardmembers are eligible for the following privileges, which may change or be substituted from time to time without notice.. Bookings must be made through Platinum Card Travel Service and charged to your Platinum Card. Actual Cardmember must be travelling in order to receive the benefit.” it has to be booked through Amex which is their travel service department like a TA.

Yes. Got both.

@micruiser2002 Yes we asked for it in writing and got it yesterday.

@neverlaysup I have heard of that before, but we got ours on our cabin instantly when they put in the code.

Thanks, all. Ill just wait it out.