Parents on Britannia now and can't get help with PLF

ducati266

1 minute ago, jimbo1683 said:

You can pau a cheque in via an app for some banks (Barclays for example). Ive fone it a couple of times, but cbeques wont be around for much longer.

All the banking apps have a limit on the amount that can be paid in that way. It works very well, but only up to that limit.

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Strangely enough I have just written my first cheque of the year for our annual ground rent, the invoice had no bank or credit card payment options.

However the post office does offer a very good paying in facility for those who don't use banking apps. 

They don't like apps in Egypt. Not since their queen got bitten.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, picsa said:

The bank I use has never had any branches since it started 32 years ago - Thirty Two Years - this isn't a modern thing. 

And "paying in machines" - for paying in what?

Cheques? I haven't written one of those in the last couple of decades, and can't remember the last time I received one.

Cash? Who gives substantial amounts of cash these days that needs paying in. The only reason I need cash these days is to pay those small businesses and traders who seem to like to accept untraceable payments for some reason.

Paying in machines for paying in cheques.  You might not use them but they’re still commonplace around here. But of course you don’t visit any branches so you probably haven’t come across these machines! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Paying in machines for paying in cheques.  You might not use them but they’re still commonplace around here. But of course you don’t visit any branches so you probably haven’t come across these machines! 

But if you do receive a cheque, then just use the banks app on your phone to scan it and get it credited that way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

And the larger cheques that apps won't accept?

And the folk in Wales who can't get a mobile signal ?. As the high tech folk like Pisca will know, in the computer world this is called a loop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

And the larger cheques that apps won't accept?

Tell the person to pay by bank transfer instead and cut out the piece of paper.

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

And the folk in Wales who can't get a mobile signal ?. As the high tech folk like Pisca will know, in the computer world this is called a loop.

Does Wales not have WiFi that your phone connects to.

Got back from our Britannia cruise early this morning. With regard to the original topic, we received a message in the cabin about filling in the PLF. They were encouraging you to complete it independently and provided detailed guidance on the TV. They also gave us a time slot to go to the  Crows Nest on Friday morning where they would provide help. There were quite a lot of people there but the staff were helping everyone. Our main issue was my iPad kept crashing. They provided a more updated device and sat with us for a while. We managed to complete the form and under advice we took photos as we would be asked for evidence we had done this at the airport. We were very happy we got this done. Nobody asked for the evidence at the airport! We had a lovely cruise but are going to move our May Med cruise to later in 2022. Hopefully things will be less stressful then.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, picsa said:

Try telling that to EDF, for example, who currently owe me several hundred pounds after Utility Point went down, and have a policy of issuing cheques only.  They're not the only ones either - some companies see it as safer and providing a better audit trail to issue a/c payee only cheques to a named individual at a confirmed address.

Most banking apps won't handle cheques over £500.

Would it help if I asked them to send a Welsh cheque?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, picsa said:

Rather odd of him to raise the subject of Wales then.

Ardennais said this, She lives in Wales. No problem with WiFi or a mobile signal in Surrey. We have banks too. That's why some folk use cheques. Nice to chat to the folk who work in the bank. Keeps them in a job.🤣

However a sizeable proportion of the population around here simply don’t have a mobile signal to begin with. Working from home has resulted in some people almost tearing their hair out as internet connectivity is poor meaning that only one user can use the internet at once. This was particularly difficult when the schools were also closed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Try telling that to EDF, for example, who currently owe me several hundred pounds after Utility Point went down, and have a policy of issuing cheques only.

Not sure that receiving such a cheque every few decades is worth worrying about.

9 hours ago, zap99 said:

We have banks too. That's why some folk use cheques. Nice to chat to the folk who work in the bank. Keeps them in a job.🤣

Probably doesn't, but actually contributes to the branch being closed. Taking up the cashiers time chatting with them will increase the time spent dealing with the customer, reduce the number of transactions they deal with, and make those transactions more expensive. And in the metrics of comparing in-person to remote transactions those branches are less cost effective, resulting in them being moved up the list for closure.

9 hours ago, zap99 said:

Working from home has resulted in some people almost tearing their hair out as internet connectivity is poor meaning that only one user can use the internet at once. This was particularly difficult when the schools were also closed.

Speaking with colleagues who were having such issues, when we looked into it the issue was never the broadband connection itself, but the poor WiFi signal within their home and which was easily resolved by installing a mesh WiFi system for £50 or so.

10 minutes ago, picsa said:

Not sure that receiving such a cheque every few decades is worth worrying about.

Probably doesn't, but actually contributes to the branch being closed. Taking up the cashiers time chatting with them will increase the time spent dealing with the customer, reduce the number of transactions they deal with, and make those transactions more expensive. And in the metrics of comparing in-person to remote transactions those branches are less cost effective, resulting in them being moved up the list for closure.

Speaking with colleagues who were having such issues, when we looked into it the issue was never the broadband connection itself, but the poor WiFi signal within their home and which was easily resolved by installing a mesh WiFi system for £50 or so.

I'm sure your expert advice is welcomed by all those folk in rural Wales. Ardennais is on her way right now to Penny bont. Of to mesh WiFi's are us. She can't order one online cos........🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, picsa said:

If only we’d known all these things as we trolled through the internet……..

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

If only we’d known all these things as we trolled through the internet……..

Is it just me Harry, or do you feel a tad patronised as well ?. Some folk seem to think that there gadgets and devices rule their world and should rule ours as well.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

You diss-ing my abacus? 😂

My dear old nan in the Soviet Union used to use an abacus back in the day.  I remember being in the shops there in the the 70's and 80's and the cashiers still using abacuses (or should that be abacii?).  Never made a mistake.  You can buy them on ebay.

Soviet Ukrainian Wood Abacus Antique Vintage Accounting Tool USSR Math Learning

15 hours ago, picsa said:

Does Wales not have WiFi that your phone connects to.

Depends where you live. Can’t even have smart meters in many properties around here. I’ve wasted hours this year trying to explain to our energy provider that I want a defective credit meter in one of our properties replaced with a traditional meter. They insist that they only replace them with smart meters now. 3 failed appointments later I think they finally understand that it would be dumb meter if they installed one. People living in cities often have no idea of the challenges facing rural dwellers when technology simply won’t work in some places.