Boarding Time?

LadyBerard

I've read both "arrive when you want" and "don't arrive too early or they'll make you wait."

I've got a 3:20 pm arrival time for upcoming Sunday on the Rotterdam from Amsterdam. This after two changes, and I'm not happy about it.

With both HAL and other cruise lines I've never arrived this late. We arrive around lunch time to start of with lunch and then some exploring before the rooms are ready. 

Can anyone share experience about arriving before your assigned arrival time?
What is the earliest arrival time usually available when sailing out of Amsterdam?

8 minutes ago, Chrissy6299 said:

Can anyone share experience about arriving before your assigned arrival time?

On our October 2021 Rotterdam cruise out of Amsterdam our boarding time was in the afternoon.  We arrived at the pier around 11am and we were onboard by noon.  

On our December 2021 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise out of Port Everglades our boarding time was in the afternoon.  We arrived at the pier around 11am and were onboard by noon. 

Boarding times were not an issue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Review the FAQ's on HAL's website RE: testing requirements...it's not hours before but it is days before....It's 3 days not 72 hours....the boarding time will not impact your Covid testing time. From the HAL website for USA cruises.. (look at the site for help with your specific timeline):  All guests aged two and older who are up to date with their vaccines, i.e., received a booster if eligible, may take their antigen or PCR COVID-19 test within 3 days prior to sailing.

Per HAL HEALTH AND SAFETY GUIDELINES FOR ALASKA & CANADA/NEW ENGLAND CRUISES dated May 31, 2022:

"PROOF OF NEGATIVE COVID-19 TEST
Guests who are up to date with their vaccines or fully vaccinated may take their COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing or a medically observed antigen test within 2 days before sailing."

5 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Not sure what you mean by "not showing one of our 2nd bookings"?  Can you get both boarding passes?

We booked BTB alaska Yukon cruise-tour/cruise.  Navigator APP only shows the 1st leg booking, can not locate the 2nd.  All 7 customer services we communicated with confirmed we have checked-in both booking, but can not resolve Navigator issue.  navigator.support at hollandamerica dot com was supposed to reply within 24 hrs (per its auto reply), and it has been 6 days and counting.  We also encountered the NAVIGATOR APP issues today reported in another thread.  Think we will just board as we wish, and forget about all the alleged convenience it would provide.

@FlaMariner, in any event,  thank you for the reply.  All these compounded (did I mention my account was wiped for unknown reason that took another [call + chat] to remedy?) unfortunately have inserted some really bad tastes about HAL, even before we can start to experience its supposed to be wonderful crews, ships, and tours.  Are the pro's really outweigh the unnecessary and should have been debugged con's?  We will find out.

The bright side is we find HAL cruisers are genuinely willing to help fellow cruisers, which is much appreciated!

• 7 months later...

Our cruise on Konigsdam departs San Diego 4pm tomorrow. I already printed our boarding cards which still say "Embark Date/Your Assigned Check-in Time/Group *: Saturday Jan 14 / To Be Assigned". I contacted our travel agent this morning, who emailed back that HAL would assign our boarding time once we completed the health questionnaire (but we did this already). We weren't allowed to complete the health questionnaire on HAL website until January 11 (our cruise departs Jan 14). I opened Navigator just now. This confirmed we have already completed all required details for check in, health questionnaire and security photo. Navigator also says "Your journey starts in 0 days, 4 hours 8 minutes"..."Your check-in time to be assigned". Clearly it's an IT error by HAL. No one is assigning us a check-in time

Edited by Orcadian
couple words missing off the end

6 hours ago, Orcadian said:

Our cruise on Konigsdam departs San Diego 4pm tomorrow. I already printed our boarding cards which still say "Embark Date/Your Assigned Check-in Time/Group *: Saturday Jan 14 / To Be Assigned". I contacted our travel agent this morning, who emailed back that HAL would assign our boarding time once we completed the health questionnaire (but we did this already). We weren't allowed to complete the health questionnaire on HAL website until January 11 (our cruise departs Jan 14). I opened Navigator just now. This confirmed we have already completed all required details for check in, health questionnaire and security photo. Navigator also says "Your journey starts in 0 days, 4 hours 8 minutes"..."Your check-in time to be assigned". Clearly it's an IT error by HAL. No one is assigning us a check-in time

Just arrive at the Pier at 11:00 am, you'll be fine.