Report from the Noordam - Maiden Voyage

RevNeal

A note to Brian, Scotty and Vic - I watched the cruise DVD last night, thankfully the camera must have been "OFF" in Grand Turk, lol!!! :eek:

I was hoping I wouldn't have to explain that one to our kids!!! :D

It was a great day though, wasn't it? Everytime I hear the YMCA song, I'll be thinking of that day... :cool:

Several of you made it onto the DVD in various places - especially Brian.

Rev, It is a pleasure to read your writings of such an enjoyable sailing on the Nordam,I am looking forward to your review!

So sorry you had such tough conditions on your last night,but very happy to see everyone home safe and sound.

Welcome Home

Capnjoe

Thank you, Greg, for your recent post. Like everyone, I'm so looking forward to seeing the pictures and your 'formal' report.

And now you can start the countdown to our Hawaiian trip :)

As rough as the dining room was, the Crows Nest provided quite a wild ride.

Thank you so much for the "preview" of your upcoming review. God, I would have so looooved those seas. As you know, I like my rides wild. :) We've definitely gotta sail together one day.

Any word on how that gentleman (Stan, I think his name was) is doing? The one who broke his leg?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Safely home at my Sister’s home in Virginia:

As others have stated, I agree was the best cruise I’ve ever experienced – bar none. I’m so spoiled now that it’s going to be tough to go back to a regular 7-Day-er!

Yes, we had no internet for a couple days – and they gladly refunded our internet charges.

It did rain in Puerto Rico so many of us didn’t bother to get off the ship – another virtual sea-day. Next Morning, the Sargasso Sea was eerily calm – I’ve never seen anything like it! Even the bow waves dissipated within a few yards of the hull: I asked the Captain if we were to be lost in the Bermuda Triangle would we get a shipboard credit and free laundry? He replied that he’d let me know as soon as we were lost…

;)

Of course the following day at sea made up for it by tossing us around like bits of Romaine in a salad – the seas were churning so much that as we looked out the stern windows in the Dining Room that evening, we could see the props creating Roostertails in the water as if we were in a ski-boat! Some of us were so nervous that we were white-knuckled from gripping the arms of our chairs and holding each others hands under the table for emotional support!

Overall, the food is some of the best that I’ve had aboard HAL – especially in the Lido, however I must be very clear that the service in the Pinnacle and Vista Dining Room on the second half of the cruise had become excruciatingly slow with a 3 hour Pinnacle dinner and a 2 hour Pinnacle luncheon (and both times the rooms were less than half full) It was so bad on our last formal night in the lower Vista that the entrees were no sooner delivered to our tables (and mine wasn’t delivered at all because they had run out) than they dimmed the lights for the Baked Alaska Parade! I was so supremely ticked off (and in no mood to wave my napkin in joy at anyone) that I marched out of the Dining Room and straight down to the Lobby where our friendly staff were shocked at my unhappiness and made an appointment for me to meet w/ the Maitre’d in the am – then I got a bowl of ice cream from the Lido and ate my vanilla-and-chocolate-sauce dinner in the Ocean Bar with the rest of our CC’ers who had marched out behind me. I understood from Joyce (She’d ordered Veal as well) that it eventually came out tasteless. I also learned that when Martha had also had a Magnum of Champagne from Stan and Jim as well as another bottle of wine opened at the tables for us that evening – they had her sign a bill for $47!

When I met w/ the Wawan (the Maitre’d) the next am, he let me know that they were surprised that the veal had been so popular that they’d run and tried to put another batch together to satisfy us. I let him know that it would have been preferable to simply let us know that they had run out and we would have gladly chosen something else from the menu that was ready rather than wait for them to slap something together that not up to par. I also let him know that the service had become much slower over the course of the cruise, and that the four dining times were a disaster for service on last formal night –the line really needs to go back to some form of two seatings. He was very understanding, and realized that my intention was not to complain for its own sake or for some kind of compensation, but to let them know so that they can improve service for the folks who follow.

I also encountered the Sommellier and our lovely Asst Bar Manager (I forget her name – she was on Oosterdam with us too) – and asked how much corkage was for a Magnum - $15. I told them what Martha had been charged and that he ought to take care of it for her before she finds him!

The last night, we had rather prompt service and the Area Manager, the Sommellier and another (I forget who he was – perhaps Martha and Greg recall) came by to check on us, make sure we had their apologies and also let Martha know that the corkage charge from the previous evening was to be removed from her bill. J

New York sucked.

From whatever “authority” at the port who decided to make everyone wait for all the luggage to be cleared (I didn’t mind myself, but it inconvenienced other passengers and our stewards who had to work around us to get the ship ready – and the new passengers had to wait until after Noon to start boarding the ship)…

…to the IDIOT passenger from New Jersey who picked up the wrong black garment bag (Scotty’s) and simply left it curbside (we had several people searching for over 30 minutes for his bag and helping Scotty make out loss reports until a porter finally dragged it back into the terminal)…

…to the IDIOT cabdriver who didn’t want to fit our luggage into his minivan/taxi along with us because he might scratch his precious vinyl upholstery (then don’t come to the ship terminals where people tend to have lots of luggage!)…

…to the lack of Red Caps at the curbs at Penn Station where they wait at some obscure location down inside the terminal – after you’ve had to drag your mountain of luggage down into the terminal…

I personally hope that HAL decides to move Noordam to Boston or Norfolk or some other city where she will be better served by the city’s infrastructure and inhabitants.

Until then, always book a private car (Who is aware of your luggage needs) to pick you up at the piers in NYC – and stay away from Amtrak/Penn Station unless you have two bags or fewer: Other than one friendly Red Cap inside Penn Station, and some nice folks (non-New Yorkers) who helped me pick myself and my luggage up after I fell down the escalator into Penn Station - I’ve never had such surly, unhelpful “service” from an entire city in the course of a few hours.

I miss all my friends from Noordam. I’m looking forward to seeing many of them again on the inaugural of the new Signature Class ship – whenever and wherever that may be.

A great big Hi! to all C.C.'s that were aboard the "Noordam" with me. You all made me feel soooooo very accepted in the group. My memories are so many and so fond of all of you ;)

Brian, remember holding hands under the table, the last evening out. I was sooo scared. Your smile made me feel better.

Sir Scott, how we danced the night away. Carefully put that special "pin" away this morning

Joyce, so glad she finally got here cavair the last evening out!

Martha, the true "Lady Bird", and buddy in crime. The perfect hostess!

Susan & John, the most photographed couple....so very cute together.

Rev. Neil,...Always smilin :) and oh so kind and easy to talk to, on the way home think he really needed to talk to the man upstairs a little more for all we mortals.

The list could go on and on. When I down loaded the pictures, couldn't help but smile:) THANK YOU ALL AGAIN.

Looking forward to the inaugual cruise of the "signature class" ship.

Oh, and for all of those who are wondering..... did get a note from you know who. I'm grinning from ear to ear. :D Just debating how to answer it.

And yes my dear friends ALL MY HATS MADE THEIR WAY HOME SAFELY. Was informed that the longshoremen didn't quite know what to do with seven hat boxes with bright pink bows on them. Not one of them wanted to touch the boxes!!!!!. Let's face it, would you?:) Till later, Hugs

Oh, and for all of those who are wondering..... did get a note from you know who. I'm grinning from ear to ear. :D Just debating how to answer it.

Marti--

I know how to respond...

Say: "Yes"

;) :D

I'm curious how you knew, Brian, that the helpful people were "non-New Yorkers". I guessing you asked, but just wondering.

While it was a while ago, I lived in NY for 20 years. I love New York and I always will. I found the people to be extremely helpful and friendly to people from all over the world. I will always stand up for the people who live there.

But I'm sorry you had such a bad conclusion to your cruise which you say was an all-time favorite (though I wouldn't have known that from reading your post!):)

bepsf--- Dear Friend.... Sorry you had such a disastrous ending to such a fun cruise. I thought I had problems on the pier....until I read about yours. Hope all the "boo boos" got "kissed and made well";) . Can't wait to cruise again with you, Sir Scott and the "crew".

reading with interest newsw of the maiden cruise on the noordam. i sure wish i had been with you you sound a great bunch. waituing for a full review sooon. sorry to hear aboyut the very rough seas you had on the last day. anyone got pictures ofvthe seas? i see anyone on the cruise who would like a cd. any chance of someone who was not on the cruise. sad that i never heard ftropm vic while he was onboard. iam on the transatlantic trip on 15th april and hope we have a good bunch of people onboard as you.

dave

But I'm sorry you had such a bad conclusion to your cruise which you say was an all-time favorite (though I wouldn't have known that from reading your post!):)

Oh, Heather - in all honesty, this was the best cruise!:)

The ship was beautiful, the company was most enjoyable, the beds were comfy, staff was great, the food was excellent (I did tell our Executive Chef that the food was the best on HAL that I'd ever had the experience of enjoying...) I could go on and on (and I probably will when I get my thoughts sorted out) but then I wanted to sorta add my two-bits to what Greg had mentioned about the extreme dinner service.

You know how it is in the news biz: When it's all good news there isn't anything to report, but when there's bad news, the ratings go through the roof!

;)

To balance my comments about New York/New Yorkers - I've always had positive experiences in the city to date. Our pre-stay was rather pleasant with good waitstaff, decent taxi-drivers and kind folks along the way. It was just the whole port-authority/disembarkation/luggage/taxi/train thing that set us off down the cranky path....

:(

Martha--

Thanks again for the well wishes and boo-boo kisses! Knee is as it was on the ship, but I miss my daily bubble baths in the jacuzzi!

To balance my comments about New York/New Yorkers - I've always had positive experiences in the city to date. Our pre-stay was rather pleasant with good waitstaff, decent taxi-drivers and kind folks along the way. It was just the whole port-authority/disembarkation/luggage/taxi/train thing that set us off down the cranky path....

Brian.... Could have bet that was the case.... You really didn't want to tar all of us with same brush, now, did you? In fact, I was beginning to feel almost the same way by the time I left the pier and I lived in NY for ah, er....well, a long time!

Martha--

Thanks again for the well wishes and boo-boo kisses! Knee is as it was on the ship, but I miss my daily bubble baths in the jacuzzi!

There are still openings on the Spamdam! (For those wondering: in one of our more enlightened moments onboard, we kind of condensed "The Voyage of the Spammed on the Zaandam" to the "Spamdam":rolleyes: )

Brian

As a new yorker myself, my first cruise many years ago out of NY was the same nightmare you encountered. This past January, I took a NCL cruise from NY and was amazed at how good it was. No trouble at all getting a cab- he even helped me with my luggage which they don't always do.

I am sailing the Noordam on 3/15 and I hope I don't end my cruise like you did.

As with any major city - there are many wonderful people here - the bad ones just stick out in your mind. And as for the luggage fiasco- many things the PA does really does not make sense.

Glad you all had a great cruise, even with the rough seas....I have been following this post and I am waiting for RevNeals final review....

Glad you are all home - safe...and best wishes to Jim/Stan who had to leave the cruise early with a broken leg - hope you are resting comfortably and on the road to recovery.

Karen

SirScott ... so SORRY to hear about the disaster at the pier.

Brian ... Brian ... Brian ... you FELL down an escalator? Given what happened to you before the cruise, that's the last thing you needed to do, boi! PLEASE take much better care of yourself! ;)

I personally hope that HAL decides to move Noordam to Boston or Norfolk or some other city where she will be better served by the city’s infrastructure and inhabitants.

I hate to break the news to you, but from what I was told on the Amsterdam, HAL is pulling out of Norfolk entirely after, I believe, this year. Apparently, they are experiencing too many delays in making it back to port in time at that location.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rev. Neil,...Always smilin and oh so kind and easy to talk to, on the way home think he really needed to talk to the man upstairs a little more for all we mortals.

Marti ... you are a classy lady and I look forward to seeing you again! :D

Sorry to read about all the problems!

As Jim once put it: As the "Unofficial Den Mother for the CC'ers Onboard"..... I have just gotten a message from Stan that Jim is doing well and will be transferred to a Rehab tomorrow (for unspecified time). They were a couple of days getting out of St. Maaren (if I am correct)..... and we thought we had problems in NYC:eek: This was the first evening that Stan has been home, and he needs to regroup!

Any info. I receive, I will pass along, as I am sure other members of the group will do......

WELCOME HOME JIMANDSTAN!!!!!

Oh, Greg, I am sooo disappointed! I thought you and I were going to be getting our 100 day medals together on the Zaandam! I'm glad you got to share the moment with other friends, tho.

I've been following and enjoying vicariously and will look forward to your full review.

Now let's get our plans for the "Spamdam" cruise into high gear! I'll bet this cruise inspired a lot of great ideas.

Brian,

AHHHHH you poor man.....first the knee, now the leg....you need a whirlpool and some theapy in the "Northern Lights" and a little liquid refreshment. (healthy of course!).

Really, I can't believe all the problems you had trying to get out of the BIG APPLE. Guess you should have just stayed on board and do a "back to Back"....yeah right:)

Oh, sent a reply to :) .... very general but nice, ball back in his court....I'll let you know what his reply is...!!!! Oh, Brian, I did get one heck of a hug in the pier area, Me in my white full fur and white fur hat...he dashing in his winter uniform....He approached me with arms wide open.....I'm sure he was just doing his job, but heck...keep your fingers/toes xxxxx'ed. Hugs, the Diva

Thank you, Lady Bird for the update on Jim.

We were all concerned and anxious for an update.

Jim / Stan Drop a post when you are up to it. We are all here for the both of you:)

Sorry it had to happen, esspecially away from home.

Seems to make it that much more stressful.

Take Care, see you on the next cruise. Marti

Archived