Report from the Noordam - Maiden Voyage

RevNeal

I've been wondering the same thing? Where are they? We were getting so many reports earlier that I'm thinking the internet must be down! Otherwise at least one of our friends would have been able to post!

I was so enjoying their journey ... it's sad not hearing from them. I can't believe it's almost done!! Back to NY tomorrow ... bet there's some sad people on that ship today:( ....

.... especially if Jim's right and they're lost in the Bermuda triangle!!!:eek:

Or they are partying too hard to report.

Believe me ... from personal experience ... I can very easily ascribe to that theory. :)

I had the best of intentions on the Amsterdam ... and actually was good about reporting for quite a while ... but toward the last third of the cruise, I got lazy ... was just having too much fun, I guess, and figured I could always make my reports when I get home and have absolutely unlimited, and free, internet.

The problem I find on the ship is that CC takes sooooooo long to load and it takes forever to make a post. So, if you don't bring a laptop (mine doesn't even have a wireless card), you're spending a bundle for internet access. I went through 100 minutes in no time flat ... and another woman I was traveling with was on her fourth 100 minute package. No way was I spending that kind of money ... not when I have unlimited access at home.

So ... maybe they are having problems getting on the boards, but then ... yeah ... maybe they are just having waaaayyyyy too much fun to bother. Personally, I hope it's the latter. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'd be the same as Rita, but it's just not Greg's nature not to post something. He's very consistent on all his cruises to post regularly. So something's up; most probably the internet's down.

Still, I can't help but worry a bit. But if anything awful had happened, we would have known for sure.

So when all you guys finally return to cyberspace, Welcome Home!!!:)

I say the internet is down as my parents were suppose to email me and havent, My Dad would never get too busy, he would email me in the middle of the night if he had too, so I'm sure all is well and we will prolly hear something tonight as they get closer to NY :)

I have what might be one of the stupidest questions ever posted, but I really am curious.

I'm in a standard balcony cabin. The new flat-screen TVs are placed at a slight angle just barely above the desk at the end closest to the wall. When I go on Noordam in April, I will have to be working and will have my laptop with me, to use on the desk. Will my friend be able to see the TV if I'm sitting at the desk?

I know, I know, it's a silly question, but it worries me!

By the way, I found these great photos from the inaugural night...

Thanks!

Jana

The Maiden Voyage of The Noordam officially ends tomorrow morning.

Sorry, I can't be too sad, We are impatiently waiting our turn on March 25, 2006 - 3 weeks from tomorrow. :rolleyes:

It can't come too soon. :)

The Noordam must be really rockin @ rollin right about now.We did btb on the Massdam last month and the ship took a beating.I will never sail out of any cold weather port again.Can not wait until 3/19 for 14 day cruise on the Ryndam out of Tampa.

Has anyone used the landLine to call Holland America, CruiseCritic.Com and/or Carnival Corp. yet?

They would have some sort of statement.. with probably no Satelite UpLink and/or Downlink, are they going to ReBate/Refund the passengers payment to them for the NonAvailabilty ?

With lack of posting that were consistenly down and well you know there must be a connection problem.. as a few Passengers were on the BB here..

In just a mere few hours the Ship is sheduled to cruise into the New York Harbor (Harbour, for the funny spellers*S*) and disembark in the chilly weather..

I would wager the Captain has advised all them the incoming weather conditions...:D

Here now in the Greater NYC Area it is 10:25 pm EST 03/03/2006 AD it is 19f with winds coming from the NNW at 15 MPH 10 Mile visibilty Pressure is 2.94 inches and steady.

So it looks as they are going to hqave a chilly landing party*S* not as cold but WINDY. About 18MPH...

Hope everyone coming off and going ona B2B had a wonderful Virgin Voyage on her.:eek:

God Speed to all.

Yup, the terminal got fried and we were unable to use the internet cafe, room phones to call back to the states, no cable channels.

I got off the ship about Noon and was home about 12:20 PM. Nice to live close to the port.

I can't ever remember meeting such wonderful people on a cruise. It was like meeting old friends for the first time. Can't wait to sail with that group again.

Tired now. Will try to put together my thoughts and post them soon.

Regards,

Joyce

Welcome home to all the Inaugural Cruisers. Hope you had a wonderful time. I have been following this since the beginning as I am on the Noordam 3/15. I will await your reports.

Thanks for all the updates and pictures.

Karen

Yup, the terminal got fried and we were unable to use the internet cafe, room phones to call back to the states, no cable channels.

I got off the ship about Noon and was home about 12:20 PM. Nice to live close to the port.

I can't ever remember meeting such wonderful people on a cruise. It was like meeting old friends for the first time. Can't wait to sail with that group again.

Tired now. Will try to put together my thoughts and post them soon.

Regards,

Joyce

Joyce... Glad you made it. The pier was total chaos when our groups (second after xpress) hit the luggage area. There seemed to be 4 different authorities (Port of NY, NYPD, Customs, and Homeland Security) down there having a contest (nice term) to see who could order us around. They let us get some bags, then threw us out of claim area and made us wait until all luggage was unloaded. We were waiting about 2 hours. A real SNAFU somewhere. Totally exhausted after the 20 to 40 foot waves for two days, even though the ship rode better than the QM2 in a similar situation (IMHO). We were told that going out tonight is possibly going to be rougher than coming in was. I hope not, because that might be a bad "first impression" for such a beautiful ship. Out of here for now......

Welcome Home, CalmSeas! That's the problem with going out of NY. We had some horrendous seas to Bermuda out of NY. Not fun when it gets like that. And too bad for all of you looking forward to your last 2 sea days.

Hopefully it didn't put any damper on your amazing cruise! Looking forward to more.:)

That's the problem with going out of NY........ And too bad for all of you looking forward to your last 2 sea days.

Actually, IMHO, it was just the luck of the draw. I have experienced similar problems going out of Baltimore or down the Mexican Riviera. What was so strange about it was the weather going down (in Feb.) was beautiful and seas as smooth as glass with the exception of crossing the Gulf Stream one evening.

Hopefully it didn't put any damper on your amazing cruise! Looking forward to more.:)

While there were some that didn't fare too well, it seemed that quite a few managed to actually ignore the waves and enjoy the final days of the cruise. I am sure they will be posting once they have a chance to get home and regroup!

Hi gang!

Disembarked this morning just after 10 and we are now sitting in the Admiral's Club at JFK waiting for a flight to San Diego.... ready to join AMSTERDAM on Tuesday.

The last thing I wanted to do this morning was disembark from NOORDAM!!!!!

The ship is a complete delight. Excellent atmosphere. Great crew. And some of the best passengers anyone could ever want to sail with... most of the CC'ers of course. ;)

Hope to get back on line sometime in the next month or so.

Stephen

Just putting my TWo Copper Plated Lincolns in before..*S*

With so many new Cruisers on the Virgin Voyage of the New Noordam (IV) you can expect that as they do have to obtain there sealegs.. which is something no store in the world has...

Glad everyone is back and the next cruise is going out off the Shelf now...

Full Speed Ahead .... God Speed Noordam Passengers and Crew.

voipcouncil124x70.gif.0d73cd8039a91058ca77ab17b7c4fbe0.gif

As has been reported, the Sat Uplink that carries internet, TV, and phone got fried as we began are trek north. Seas were LOVELY the first day going north, but VERY rough -- with 42 foot waves -- on the second day. The ship was, indeed, rocking and rolling.

I've got a lot to report on, photos to prepare and upload and mail out, and a review to write.

Let me just say that it was a wonderful cruise. I finally met, in person, many wonderful people whom I have come to greatly appreciate over the years and of whom I am, now, very fond. I look forward to similar cruises in the future.

As wonderful as the cruise was, I am, nevertheless, happy to be home. It was SO good to see Christopher at the airport, and to see Dorcas (my Basset Hound) when I got home. I've got a busy day tomorrow and, then, on Monday a funeral. But I'll try to post review and thoughts. Now that the internet no longer costs an arm-and-a-leg, that is.

So good to have you back on terra firma, Greg!!! Welcome Home!:D I'll bet your furry friend was especially happy to see you ... maybe happier than Christopher even!!!

Lucky you for meeting this wonderful group. I hope to meet you and all of them one day, too.

We'll await your review and pictures!

Anyone who knows me on this board is going to be completely thrown by this post, but I have to tell you all I have never been more confused or completely in the dark than I am at this moment.

dsawyer, sadly no "wining" for me ... I used up my quota in that department many moons ago;)

Again, welcome home to all our friends from the Noordam's Maiden Voyage. It's so good to have you back where you belong:) .

Anyone who knows me on this board is going to be completely thrown by this post, but I have to tell you all I have never been more confused or completely in the dark than I am at this moment.

................... .

By way of explanation, Thankfully the posts confusing me have been removed. Anyone reading the thread now might just think one of my porch lights was totally out:D !!!

Archived