What if husband cancels for medical reasons and I go

RSF Cruiser

I can’t seem to get a clear answer. I wonder if my situation has happened to others and what was your experience with third party trip cancellation insurance

My husband is not feeling well and will see his doctor about getting a note to file a claim on our travel insurance so he can be reimbursed for losses from cancelling. If I still go on the cruise, do I have to pay the single supplement, or will Princess  consider the room already paid for since we have made our final payment? In other words, will he be reimbursed from the insurance company and I can go on the cruise at no additional cost?

I don’t know which Travel Guard plan you have, but the Essential has a clause called Single Occupancy Benefit that will pay any additional cost if the cruise line charges you more when one person cancels.

Read your policy, and look for the Single Occupancy section.

Whoever you spoke with on the phone likely would not give you a firm answer because it depends on the details of your claim. They can’t commit to anything until an adjuster had reviewed it. Nevertheless, it appears you may be covered depending on your policy. Just be sure to provide all the requested documentation.

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2021 at 9:20 AM, RSF Cruiser said:

I can’t seem to get a clear answer. I wonder if my situation has happened to others and what was your experience with third party trip cancellation insurance

My husband is not feeling well and will see his doctor about getting a note to file a claim on our travel insurance so he can be reimbursed for losses from cancelling. If I still go on the cruise, do I have to pay the single supplement, or will Princess  consider the room already paid for since we have made our final payment? In other words, will he be reimbursed from the insurance company and I can go on the cruise at no additional cost?

Hi RSF Cruiser,

As Babr said, your Essential plan covers the higher cost of a Single Supplement. The key is if your husband cancels for a covered reason.

> My husband is not feeling well and will see his doctor about getting a note

If your husband is cancelling due to a pre-existing condition, make sure your Essential plan has the pre-ex waiver and his condition has recently taken a turn for the worse.

If your husband is not cancelling due to a pre-existing condition, make sure that whatever condition he has is bad enough now where his doctor says he cannot travel.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1

Thanks. We do have pre-existing condition coverage. This is the first time one of us has to cancel a cruise for a covered reason. I understand why the insurance company was vague - they want to protect themselves against false claims. I appreciate the helpful answers to my question. Now I have to decide if I want to travel solo! 

56 minutes ago, RSF Cruiser said:

Thanks. We do have pre-existing condition coverage. This is the first time one of us has to cancel a cruise for a covered reason. I understand why the insurance company was vague - they want to protect themselves against false claims. I appreciate the helpful answers to my question. Now I have to decide if I want to travel solo! 

Get a WRITTEN note after the physician has seen him (video may be okay these days?? please check about that!) and it should state that he is too ill to travel on [date].  I'm not sure what the travel date is, but the timing of the "no travel" directive needs to match up with the actual travel date per the severity of the illness, etc.  (Can't use a common cold as an excuse 6 months later! 😉 )

There might need to be the full medical form filled out.  Ask Steve about this specifically.

When DH had a medical emergency just before departure, we printed out the form, and took it to the physician for the second visit when we KNEW he could not travel.  (It would have been his first cruise ever!  But we went later that year and he was hooked on cruising immediately!)

Steve was incredibly helpful helping us through this when medical was higher priority that anything about the trip...

Some times people don't get it in writing from a *physician* and it gets denied.

Good luck to both of you.

GC

• Like 1