Splendor Christmas and New Years Cruise

mrlevin

@grumpyathome - "6 feet away" means nothing if you believe CDC as "they" say particles can hang in the air for hours.  We are planning to.join Mariner this Wednesday to Miami and then Splendor from Miami after that....assuming, of course, that we test negative prior to boarding both vessels.   Not the least bit concerned about contracting covid...just getting the right test result. 🙄

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, grumpyathome said:

Hi,  we are looking forward with some trepidation to joining Splendor on January 13,  hopefully.    I guess my question is how are the reports that I’m hearing that Covid is on board Splendor affecting the cruise and should I be worried?  How much has it changed the cruise experience ?  It worries me that you say there are people not following mask protocol.  Do you feel like you need to stay 6 ft + away from other passengers?  Food and service still good?  
Anything those on the ship can add to prepare future cruisers would be helpful to clarify the situation.  
Thanks and enjoy the rest of your trip, stay safe and stay healthy.

Grumpyathome and even Grumpier if this cruise is postponed again, original cruise date was March 12, 2020 on Explorer. 

Edited by mrlevin
Long post lost

I’m planning on spending a lot of time in our suite and on the balcony.  We hope to keep a small bubble with the other couple with whom we are traveling .  The four of us plan on staying home and keeping a low profile until we drive to Miami .  As far as the 6ft +, we probably won’t be making any new friends on this trip, it will just be nice to get a way from home for a bit.  As long as the chefs etc…. are healthy….  
maybe we can wave from afar whe we all join the ship.  

• Like 2

We will continue to be careful while sipping our champagne , is it ok to sip champagne through  a straw while wearing a mask…😊?   Vaxed and boosted ( I know they don’t work with omicron,)  but hope we don’t get it or at least not  until after the cruise .  

35 minutes ago, grumpyathome said:

Mr Levin. Your post did not post…

Food and service excellent.  Officer interaction nil.  Entertainment interaction even before John got sick almost nil.  No Beatles night on either segment.  Masks terrible; especially as compliance bad; might as well not have them.  My wife has had a wonderful cruise and my take is that the cruise is barely acceptable; maybe above 20 days of code red on Mariner.  It is amazing how a lack of CD can negatively impact the feel of a cruise.  John will be back Friday and the next cruise may be absolutely fantastic.

• Like 1

Sadly, it does sound like we are going to be spending a lot of our time in our suite, if fellow passengers are being casual about mask use and not vigilant about social distancing.  Oh, well . . . 

20 minutes ago, ysolde said:

Sadly, it does sound like we are going to be spending a lot of our time in our suite, if fellow passengers are being casual about mask use and not vigilant about social distancing.  Oh, well . . . 

Covid Tip: If you keep a drink in both hands, you can't touch your face (Fauci approved this message 🙂 )

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

@grumpyathome - "6 feet away" means nothing if you believe CDC as "they" say particles can hang in the air for hours.  We are planning to.join Mariner this Wednesday to Miami and then Splendor from Miami after that....assuming, of course, that we test negative prior to boarding both vessels.   Not the least bit concerned about contracting covid...just getting the right test result. 🙄

@Kwaj girl, I am surprised you and Dana are going for it again knowing masks are required on board. Our Caribbean cruise on Explorer in November/December was so nice and relaxed compared to what folks are reporting now. I am sure you will have a fantastic time though, and I have to say, you throw a mean cocktail party! Happy new year! 

9 minutes ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

@Kwaj girl, I am surprised you and Dana are going for it again knowing masks are required on board. Our Caribbean cruise on Explorer in November/December was so nice and relaxed compared to what folks are reporting now. I am sure you will have a fantastic time though, and I have to say, you throw a mean cocktail party! Happy new year! 

Masks weren't required when we booked this!  Grrrr...buf who knows if we'll even get there.   Snowing now in Huntsville!

11 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

Masks weren't required when we booked this!  Grrrr...buf who knows if we'll even get there.   Snowing now in Huntsville!

Kwaj - Finger crossed for your safe and successful travel to SF.  It's 0645AM on Monday and we are just now tying up to the dock at the Embarcadero, having passed under the Golden Gate about 30 minutes ago.  We've tried the best we could to leave the Mariner in good shape for you!

"Blazing Boots" show in the theater was great last night, even though we had to watch it sans drinks in hand.  The Mariner management and staff have done all they reasonably/possibly could to make some lemonade out of a bunch of lemons that were thrown their way (the ship's bar ran out of lime about a day ago, but there will be a huge resupply effort going on today and tomorrow).  No point re-hashing it here, but Regent has done everything humanely possible to provide a good cruise for everyone.

The meals have been good and the restaurant, bar, and housekeeping staff have all been "over-the-top" happy and professional.  Andy has been his always-effervescent self.  I'll miss all of them.  Best Regards.

• Like 5

All save one (who went back into quarantine after being let out early) are back at work.  All crew tested yesterday and no additional positive cases (of course they haven't really told us anything in last week).  Found out that John will need to serve his seven day quarantine when he reboards so probably not working next week.  Alex as Asst CD taking charge now that he is out of jail.

Mask compliance miserable.  I hate wearing a mask (and find them sort of worthless) so I get easily annoyed about others being flippant regarding masks.

Entertainment starting back up tonight; but only three nights left.  

Captain still doesn't know my name (but maybe she does and just refuses to address me by name).  In fact none of the officers have called me by name and none, save Franck, have even talked with me.

BTW, best stewardess I have probably had in 15 years.  And great team of bartenders, bar waiters, and waiters; crew wonderful.  

Cruise definitely has not lived up to expectations but that is partially my fault scheduling a cruise too late; if I had scheduled last month (sans masks) probably would have been a lot more enjoyable (although still wouldn't have had Beatles night).  Hopefully this is ancient history by time of my next cruise in June.

Marc

• Thanks 1

Glad there are no new cases among the crew. Maybe they all have developed enough immunity to the virus.
HaHa I for one could stand to do without the Beatles night period,  never cared for their music when they were a hit. But we don’t usually go to the shows anyway, like the small venues best.

As long as the staff that deals directly with the passengers are good, the Captain or other officers  not knowing my name is no biggie. I don’t think the two captains  we had on the WC knew our name either though they always spoke to us when we made eye contact. But those are minor problems(if indeed a problem) compared to having to wear a mask!
That uncertainty is why we have canceled another cruise just before final payment due and moved the money to a Nov sailing date. Cruising is not the norm of the past right now. People have too much fear and that creates a lot of tension/stress.
Glad your wife had a good time, sorry you didn’t. But thanks for reporting your experiences. It has been interesting to read!

• Like 1