Mask Mandate starting 12/18

pilgrimage

11 minutes ago, RCD1952 said:

I am hoping for an update from pilgrimage on the Riviera.  Boarding the ship January 14 and am uneasy about the trajectory of events.

No news.  Still planning to dock in Barbados in the morning.  As mentioned, most tings are status quo, they're just emphasizing the masking.  Haven't heard anything about additional cases or any further testing (that was a port requirement for Barbados).  My assumption is that Barbados is more lenient than Curacao or Aruba (it's already a CDC level 4 country) so we may be able to go ashore there as planned.  As far as the actual cruise - no complaints.  Just plan on masking up indoors and be willing to accept some risk of not getting all of your ports and enjoy the cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, pilgrimage said:

No news.  Still planning to dock in Barbados in the morning.  As mentioned, most tings are status quo, they're just emphasizing the masking.  Haven't heard anything about additional cases or any further testing (that was a port requirement for Barbados).  My assumption is that Barbados is more lenient than Curacao or Aruba (it's already a CDC level 4 country) so we may be able to go ashore there as planned.  As far as the actual cruise - no complaints.  Just plan on masking up indoors and be willing to accept some risk of not getting all of your ports and enjoy the cruise.

All ashore for Barbados!

20211230_093353.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, pilgrimage said:

Interesting that walking around Bridgetown today, the vast majority of locals are wearing masks, even outdoors.  That was not the case in Bonaire.  Both of those countries are level 4 hotspots, just different behavior.  Bridgetown much more crowded, however.

Hi, pilgrimage, thank you so much for your helpful updates. We are scheduled to board Riviera two weeks from tomorrow. Does this report mean that you were able to go ashore today without an Oceania shore excursion requirement? I inquire because I sail in the winter on Caribbean cruises for the beaches. (Husband enjoys the Riviera experience onboard so these cruises are our ideal winter vacation compromise.) I plan to taxi to nearby Carlisle Bay on our Bridgetown port day so I prefer to be on my own schedule. 

Keep enjoying your cruise. I have struggled this week to keep up my positive attitude but your posts really help me with that issue.

• Like 1

Have those of you currently onboard heard anything official regarding major modification of the continuing itinerary or those to soon follow?

Today, on the O website, all January/February 2022 cruises on Insignia, Riviera and Marina have been waitlisted.

From past experience, this can be troubling news regarding pending cruise cancellation. On the other hand, with most of those cruises having very little cabin availability several days ago, it might just be a decision to better control capacity. 

Any reliable intel you can share will be genuinely appreciated!

Stay safe brave mariners!

7 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

Hi, pilgrimage, thank you so much for your helpful updates. We are scheduled to board Riviera two weeks from tomorrow. Does this report mean that you were able to go ashore today without an Oceania shore excursion requirement? I inquire because I sail in the winter on Caribbean cruises for the beaches. (Husband enjoys the Riviera experience onboard so these cruises are our ideal winter vacation compromise.) I plan to taxi to nearby Carlisle Bay on our Bridgetown port day so I prefer to be on my own schedule. 

Keep enjoying your cruise. I have struggled this week to keep up my positive attitude but your posts really help me with that issue.

Shouldn't have any problem unless the ports change their rules.  Shore time where we've been allowed is just like always, except with masks and *lots* of hand sanitizer.  Barbados had an interesting sanitizer dispenser when you enter the port shopping area - it dispenses a generous amount of liquid and takes your temperature at the same time.  Nobody there to do anything if you're spiking a fever however.

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Have those of you currently onboard heard anything official regarding major modification of the continuing itinerary or those to soon follow?

Today, on the O website, all January/February 2022 cruises on Insignia, Riviera and Marina have been waitlisted.

From past experience, this can be troubling news regarding pending cruise cancellation. On the other hand, with most of those cruises having very little cabin availability several days ago, it might just be a decision to better control capacity. 

Any reliable intel you can share will be genuinely appreciated!

Stay safe brave mariners!

No, nothing about our next ports at Antigua and Sint Maarten so far.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

On the other hand, with most of those cruises having very little cabin availability several days ago, it might just be a decision to better control capacity. 

How do you check availability? 

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

How do you check availability? 

I go to the “find a cruise” on the O website and do a spot check across multiple cruises and several categories and begin the booking process. When you get to the cabin selection, you’ll see the available cabins listed.
In my most recent random spot check of several of my future booked cruises that have availability,  I’ve found that it’s usually one or two relatively undesirable cabins in the 2-3 cabin categories I’ve checked.

• Thanks 1

HiFi43 (?) just posted an email from Bob Binder on another thread (“Suddenly waitlisted cruise”) that states the waitlisted ships are to control capacity (similar to Royal Caribbean). Cruises are expected to be a go!

Edited by PhD-iva
Add details

40 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

HiFi43 (?) just posted an email from Bob Binder on another thread (“Suddenly waitlisted cruise”) that states the waitlisted ships are to control capacity (similar to Royal Caribbean). Cruises are expected to be a go!

Do you seriously think that there is a need by cruise lines to do anything to control capacity? Bookings are pretty much self-limiting right now just by virtue of the CDC level 4 announcement and the daily news of more covid cases onboard 80+ ships.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Do you seriously think that there is a need by cruise lines to do anything to control capacity? Bookings are pretty much self-limiting right now just by virtue of the CDC level 4 announcement and the daily news of more covid cases onboard 80+ ships.

I agree.  Makes no sense.  With the new warning today from the CDC, I look for most yellow coded ships to go red very soon.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pilgrimage said:

Shouldn't have any problem unless the ports change their rules.  Shore time where we've been allowed is just like always, except with masks and *lots* of hand sanitizer.  Barbados had an interesting sanitizer dispenser when you enter the port shopping area - it dispenses a generous amount of liquid and takes your temperature at the same time.  Nobody there to do anything if you're spiking a fever however.

Thank you, pilgrimage. Sincere best wishes for the remainder of your cruise; the situation appears to be changing by the hour. 

Edited by CintiPam

As a non-American, I'm only vaguely aware of the CDC and what authority it has. I've just read that it is now advising people, regardless of vaccination status, not to cruise. Is this real "advice" or does it have the ability to close down American based cruise ships?

7 minutes ago, Harters said:

As a non-American, I'm only vaguely aware of the CDC and what authority it has. I've just read that it is now advising people, regardless of vaccination status, not to cruise. Is this real "advice" or does it have the ability to close down American based cruise ships?

The CDC does have the authority to do so but has not yet exercised it.  First you try the carrot, then you try the stick.

28 minutes ago, Harters said:

Thanks, Shepherd.

It'll be interesting to see how carrots work in this. I can't think of what more Oceania might practically do, that it has not already done, to make it safe.

I agree that O has done as much as it can, but Omicron is far more transmissible than the previous variants.  This problem may not have a solution.

The Kobayashi Maru, for Star trek fans.

• Like 3

On 12/28/2021 at 10:43 AM, Jancruz said:

FY,  Every ship has cases of covid on board 

Jancruz1

That is only half the story ... The other half is really how did it really impact the passengers.  There is big difference between having a infection without much of a problem and  people being hospitalized in dire health.    Are we just so fearful the everything is worse or can we relax and see what the  results are?....   It looks like it is more emotional distress than anything, having been sensitized by the past 2 years..............

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

That is only half the story ... The other half is really how did it really impact the passengers.  There is big difference between having a infection without much of a problem and  people being hospitalized in dire health.    Are we just so fearful the everything is worse or can we relax and see what the  results are?....   It looks like it is more emotional distress than anything, having been sensitized by the past 2 years..............

I think the impact is with the crew.  What is not know is the number of crew members infected and unable to work on many of these ships.  Their living conditions invite a higher infection rate.  The Queen Mary 2 is anchored off Barbados waiting for additional crew to be flown in so it can operate.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RCD1952 said:

I think the impact is with the crew.  What is not know is the number of crew members infected and unable to work on many of these ships.  Their living conditions invite a higher infection rate.  The Queen Mary 2 is anchored off Barbados waiting for additional crew to be flown in so it can operate.  

The Queen Mary 2 has cancelled its return to New York, is disembarking passengers in Barbados, flying them home and sailing back to Southampton from there.  

• Thanks 1

Saw the QM2 anchored offshore when I was in Barbados yesterday, wondered why.  The Queen Victoria was berthed across from us in the port.

As far as carrots go - O has decided to do an open bar today and tomorrow to keep us all happy with the missed ports.  They are still planning to have some of the NYE celebrations, but even on pool deck, they will be requesting masks (with pull-to-sip).  No drinks in Riviera lounge for the shows there.

QM2_25pct.jpg

• Like 1