Just off the Seashore's 12/11 sailing this morning

Native Floridian 26

how was the food compared to RCI MDR if you've been on RCI ships?

We found 2018 Jade food to be quite bad.

Was there free soft serve ice cream?

any problems with them billing you for things you didn't buy?

how were the shows?

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

2 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

how was the food compared to RCI MDR if you've been on RCI ships? We found 2018 Jade food to be quite bad.

Was there free soft serve ice cream?

any problems with them billing you for things you didn't buy?

Are you asking about NCL or RCI? The Jade is NCL.  We haven't sailed RCI since 2010, so I can't help you.  I'd say food was on par with Princess and NCL, both of which we've sailed more recently.

Soft serve was available during "Afternoon Snacks"  which was usually 3:30-5:00 in the Marketplace Buffet.  We thought there was some in the Horizon Bar, but when we asked they said only with the Non-Alcoholic Package and we had Easy Plus.

No billing problems at all but it took a couple days before all the OBC showed up on the account.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Are you asking about NCL or RCI? The Jade is NCL.

I was asking about RCI, but after looking at your signature, I realized that you haven't sailed with RCI in quite some time, so I also commented about Jade. 🙂 I can see how weird that looks to those not in my head, lol.

4 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

I'd say food was on par with Princess and NCL

well, that's the problem with subjectivity, I guess. 🙂 Princess food is great, while we found NCL's food inedible.

5 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Soft serve was available during "Afternoon Snacks"  which was usually 3:30-5:00 in the Marketplace Buffet.  We thought there was some in the Horizon Bar, but when we asked they said only with the Non-Alcoholic Package and we had Easy Plus.

How interesting. We will have Easy+ as well, but the kiddo has a Minor package which mentioned free soft serve. Since on other cruise lines soft serve is available to everyone for free, I found it odd that they mentioned soft serve being included on the Minor package.

Thank you!

40 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I was asking about RCI, but after looking at your signature, I realized that you haven't sailed with RCI in quite some time, so I also commented about Jade. 🙂 I can see how weird that looks to those not in my head, lol.

well, that's the problem with subjectivity, I guess. 🙂 Princess food is great, while we found NCL's food inedible.

How interesting. We will have Easy+ as well, but the kiddo has a Minor package which mentioned free soft serve. Since on other cruise lines soft serve is available to everyone for free, I found it odd that they mentioned soft serve being included on the Minor package.

Thank you!

You're welcome!  We're not foodies and the food is highlight of our cruises.  It does seem like the number of choices is pared down compared to other lines.  However, there was always one appetizer, one soup, one salad and main that we enjoyed.  The French Onion Soup and Caesar Salads are every day items and delicious.  I'm not a seafood eater,  and would have enjoyed more beef selections, but it was fine.

We only had one elegant night, and the NY Strip was included.  I thought on a second one, that we'd get Prime Rib.  

Edited by Native Floridian 26
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

I'm not a seafood eater,

oh, was there a lot of seafood? That would be nice.

I am an omnivorous glutton, but even to me NCL's food was just barely passable some of the time and not edible most of the time. 🙂 So, I am hoping MSC's food will be at least slightly better than that. I think having an Easy Plus package will really help in case the food is not up to par. I could always drink my calories, right? 🙂

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

oh, was there a lot of seafood? That would be nice.

I am an omnivorous glutton, but even to me NCL's food was just barely passable some of the time and not edible most of the time. 🙂 So, I am hoping MSC's food will be at least slightly better than that. I think having an Easy Plus package will really help in case the food is not up to par. I could always drink my calories, right? 🙂

Lots of seafood.  DH enjoyed fish most nights.  OMG the Easy Plus was so awesome.  I started skipping desert and got Bailey's Coffees instead.  If you got the All-in package for $90 for the week like us, including internet, that was such a steal.  Then after the 5+15% discount, only $70ish.  It makes for a whole new level of enjoyment of the cruise.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

If you got the All-in package for $90 for the week like us, including internet, that was such a steal. 

indeed, we did! This is the first (and probably only) time we ever got a package of some kind. And only because it was $90pp! That's a steal!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

indeed, we did! This is the first (and probably only) time we ever got a package of some kind. And only because it was $90pp! That's a steal!

Us too!  We don't drink enough to justify paying the usual price, but this was amazing.  I'm looking to see if All-ins are still offered.  It's amazing how easy it is to drink 5-6 drinks a day.  Normally I'm like 4-5 a week!

Plus it gets you the good fruit juices in the dining room/buffet and bottled water for anytime.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

I'm looking to see if All-ins are still offered. 

I checked earlier this week and it was still offered for our April cruise (and I am sure others as well).

I even got it for my parents - and they don't even drink alcohol (dad can't, and mom doesn't like anything besides an occasional glass of wine), but they do drink coffee A LOT, and dad may get diet soda or non-alcoholic beers. I thought it'd be fun for us to try all sorts of mixed drinks, and my parents will probably drink all sorts of fancy coffee beverages and mineral/bottled water. But we won't have to worry about running up a huge bill or even a small one.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

We board Seashore 3 weeks from tomorrow we’re really excited to see the ship. 
I noticed Seashore was  in Yellow status on the cdc Covid page just checked and it’s now in Orange status

Any mention of Covid cases or extra protocols in place?

How many did you have on your sailing?

Did you go to any of the theater shows and if so what were they like?

I’m not a huge fan of DR it was the only land vacation that I wanted to leave by day 3 and we were there for 10 nights.

I didn’t feel safe there at all. And that’s saying a lot since I’ve been to Mexico a few dozen times and have never felt that way at any of their resorts. 

So in your opinion is it worth getting off the ship at the port in DR? 

We were thinking it would be a ship day for us. 

Edited by styles27

9 hours ago, travelwide said:

Would like to hear about your DR experience since you were one of the first ships there.

I too just got off. I was on for two weeks in YC.

DR was and is a toilet in my opinion. I hated the new port.

They are trying to make it nice but they are 10 years too early.

Putting lipstick on a pig is still a pig.

Don't plan on walking off really. Many police, military and even tourist protection cars all about.

Take a ships tour. Your only real choice.

You can walk to the dumpy fort.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, styles27 said:

We board Seashore 3 weeks from tomorrow we’re really excited to see the ship. 
I noticed Seashore was  in Yellow status on the cdc Covid page just checked and it’s now in Orange status

Any mention of Covid cases or extra protocols in place?

How many did you have on your sailing?

Did you go to any of the theater shows and if so what were they like?

I’m not a huge fan of DR it was the only land vacation that I wanted to leave by day 3 and we were there for 10 nights.

I didn’t feel safe there at all. And that’s saying a lot since I’ve been to Mexico a few dozen times and have never felt that way at any of their resorts. 

So in your opinion is it worth getting off the ship at the port in DR? 

We were thinking it would be a ship day for us. 

I noticed the Yellow yesterday, but haven't seen the Orange.  No mention of Covid onboard.  We only had our temps taken twice when we entered the dining room for breakfast.  No checking at buffet, so easy to avoid the checks if one desired.

We had 1817 pax.

We went to all the shows and like them.  Some more than others.  THere's another thread going on those now.  The two singers in That's Amoire were superb.  We're glad we went to them all.

The new port at DR was great, but we didn't stay and enjoy the pools or anything.  There was top security that day because the President came for the Grand Opening of the Taino Bay port.  

We walked into the town spend a half hour and walked back  We didn't feel unsafe.  When we first stepped out of the port a guy with an orange shirt who said he was with the Government Visitor something basically gave us a free walking tour and we tipped him at the end.  We knew he was legit because the cops and traffic stopped for him.  There were many of these guys around doing the same with other people from the ship.  If I go again I would just stay at the port pools area or stay on ship.

Seashore was awesome and we can't wait to sail on her again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

I noticed the Yellow yesterday, but haven't seen the Orange.  No mention of Covid onboard.  We only had our temps taken twice when we entered the dining room for breakfast.  No checking at buffet, so easy to avoid the checks if one desired.

We had 1817 pax.

We went to all the shows and like them.  Some more than others.  THere's another thread going on those now.  The two singers in That's Amoire were superb.  We're glad we went to them all.

The new port at DR was great, but we didn't stay and enjoy the pools or anything.  There was top security that day because the President came for the Grand Opening of the Taino Bay port.  

We walked into the town spend a half hour and walked back  We didn't feel unsafe.  When we first stepped out of the port a guy with an orange shirt who said he was with the Government Visitor something basically gave us a free walking tour and we tipped him at the end.  We knew he was legit because the cops and traffic stopped for him.  There were many of these guys around doing the same with other people from the ship.  If I go again I would just stay at the port pools area or stay on ship.

Seashore was awesome and we can't wait to sail on her again.

Thank you so much!  
The DR port sounds a little like Costa Maya with the pools at the port. I’m glad you guys had a positive experience there. 

Did you guys have to wear the tracking bracelet things?
If so are those also used for charging stuff on board and a room key?

I’ve only been on MSC twice and both times on Divina which isn’t a “smart” ship. 

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I too just got off. I was on for two weeks in YC.

DR was and is a toilet in my opinion. I hated the new port.

They are trying to make it nice but they are 10 years too early.

Putting lipstick on a pig is still a pig.

Don't plan on walking off really. Many police, military and even tourist protection cars all about.

Take a ships tour. Your only real choice.

You can walk to the dumpy fort.

Interesting about DR.  For 3/5/22 sailing, the ports apps (especially CruiseMapper) say we are scheduled for Amber Cove.  I'm hoping that is the case, but this is MSC!

5 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Interesting about DR.  For 3/5/22 sailing, the ports apps (especially CruiseMapper) say we are scheduled for Amber Cove.  I'm hoping that is the case, but this is MSC!

Cruisemapper just downloads current itinerary. Piece of crap site.  If they have ads on it, you will know.

See if the Divina is due to go to Grand Cayman on the 1/9/2022  . The Island is closed till 1/27/2022.🙄

They are doing a test ship on 12/28 limited to 1600 passengers with HA.

17 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Ask me anything and I'll try to answer.  We had an excellent time.  Interior Bella experience and we ate in the Central Park main dining room every night.

We were the first ship ever to stop at the Dominican Republic Puerto Plata's new port Taino Bay.

How was debarkation? Was it on time and smooth? Thinking of catching the 11 am flight and wonder if this is enough time?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, JAGR said:

You'll be at Taino Bay.  Cruisemapper was putting all ships at Amber Cove, but now that Taino's open I guess it's behind in getting updated.  When TB hadn't opened yet, any non-Carnival owned brands didn't stop at DR and had to change itins.  DR itself isn't nice, but at least the new port area is and you can at least get off the ship for a bit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Cruisemapper just downloads current itinerary. Piece of crap site.  If they have ads on it, you will know.

See if the Divina is due to go to Grand Cayman on the 1/9/2022  . The Island is closed till 1/27/2022.🙄

They are doing a test ship on 12/28 limited to 1600 passengers with HA.

Yes, Cruisemapper cannot be relied upon for schedules. Hard to know who to believe until you're docked somewhere lol.

4 hours ago, styles27 said:

Thank you so much!  
The DR port sounds a little like Costa Maya with the pools at the port. I’m glad you guys had a positive experience there. 

Did you guys have to wear the tracking bracelet things?
If so are those also used for charging stuff on board and a room key?

I’ve only been on MSC twice and both times on Divina which isn’t a “smart” ship. 

Yes the port itself was glitzy, Puerto Plata, not so nice.  Hard to enjoy the port area pool and bars when you have an Easy Plus package waiting for you onboard LOL.

They didn't give us the bracelets.  From what I could tell, people bought them for $7.  We weren't YC.  They may have gotten them for free.

It sounds like the bracelets could have come in handy now that the ship's CDC color has gone Green/Yellow/ now Orange.  I understand the bracelets do contact tracing.  There was no mention of COVID cases on board.

Edited by Native Floridian 26
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, travelwide said:

Would like to hear about your DR experience since you were one of the first ships there.

There was a huge police presence at the port that day because the President was coming for the Grand Opening of Taino Bay.  At first we didn't know that and felt intimidated by the hoards of locals just outside the port gates wanting to give you tours.  Then we talked to a very nice waiter by the pool and he explained why the huge crowds and police presence.  He said to walk downtown was totally fine and only 10 minutes walking so we ventured out.  Some guy with an orange shirt (there were many of them) began walking with us and he explained they were provided by the Government for Visitors and he would walk us there and show us around.  I was skeptical, but then figured out he was legit and showed us the sites, took lots of pictures of us for us and he walked us back and we gave him a tip.

The new port was very nice with the shops, restaurants, bars, pool and beach lounging chairs, but outside of this, it was not so nice,  We don't do Caribbean cruises for the ports as much as the cruise experience. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, seapad said:

How was debarkation? Was it on time and smooth? Thinking of catching the 11 am flight and wonder if this is enough time?

Thanks.

We did self-debarkation which started at 7:15.  Yes, ship was on time.   We were at the buffet, picked up luggage from cabin around 7:45, and were out of the terminal by 8:05 .  In your case you would have made it by 11 but cutting very close.  What if the ship is late coming back?  There were no lines getting out of the port and there is no more customs forms or agents to deal with.  Not sure when/why that changed, but it does streamline the process very much.