World Cruise and Politics

SargassoPirate

I have a question for world cruisers.  Have you ever been on a world cruise and refused to get off the ship or spend any money in a port because of the country's human rights or environmental record?

We don't need to debate the right or wrong of the country's record on the issues, but just whether it affected your port activity decision.   Did you let the cruise line know why?

I do feel you with this problem, but in the end I don't think the money you will spend or not spend will make any difference to the country or it's regime. Maybe it might even help one person you are dealing with appreciating your tip, like the guide on your tour. All you do is prohibiting yourself experiencing the place. Years ago when I went to Vietnam for the first time my feelings for the country (irrational I know) were not too positive even I do not even know anybody who had been in the Vietnam war - and what a beautiful country it is with lovely people.  But I don't really qualify as a world cruiser, looking just forward to my first in January 2023. I would love to take a trip to China including the Yangtze River, the history and culture is what I want to experience not the regime and it's politics. Land-trip for one of these days in the future, too much to see for just a few days cruise-stops. In 1971 I had been on Crimea and was really put off seeing ladies the same age as my mother paving the roads but what an amazing place. Seeing the depression in people's face and them not smiling was also a learning experience, seeing it first hand not just from news-reports, still sticking in my mind. Even me hoping for the best for them doesn't seem to have worked out.

• Like 3

During my world cruise, we had 3 ports scheduled for Vietnam.  A college friend of mine lost his life during the Vietnam War (all that was left of him were hands, feet, and dog tags).  Before the cruise began, my plan was not to disembark the Amsterdam during those port visits.  Then, the shore excursion brochure arrived and I began reading the descriptions of the tours available in each of the three ports.  Because I am interested in history and culture, many of the tours were visiting some of the places that I had read about during the War.  That attracted me and made me begin to re-think what I ought to do when the ship got to Vietnam.  I decided to book the tours that interested me with the thought that if I was uncomfortable during the first tour, I would cancel the rest.  Tour #1 went well; the Vietnamese whom I met were kind, pleasant, and helpful.  I decided en route to the next port, I would continue with my shore excursion plans.  I am glad that I did.  I was able to experience sights and sounds and tastes that maybe my friend did before his death.  I was astounded by the attitudes of the Vietnamese.  There was not a scintilla of resentment that I detected directed at me as an American.  Instead, there were smiles and an aura of friendliness that I saw and felt.  I could not detect any harboring of grudges or hatefulness.  They had grown in the years that had past beyond any such feelings while many Americans still held onto bad memories.  It was quite a learning experience for me.  

• Like 9

Thanks for the replies so far.  

I am reminded of a cruise to Cuba that I took when it was open to US citizens.  I went to see the old cars.  It was difficult to ignore life in a police state and the crumbling mansions along the Havana waterfront, but I did get to see the old cars firsthand and talk to several owners on how they keep them running.

• Like 3

SargassoPirate, so happy for you to have been able to see them. I had wanted to go to Cuba too about 2-3 years ago. Good thing I was a little slow with making my booking because when I was ready, the stop in Cuba had been cancelled. Need to just go on a not-cruise trip now one of these days. So many places to see, so little time 🙂

Not a world cruise port, but on an Asia Pacific cruise aboard the Volendam.  Our first port was Petropavlovsk in Russia.  My first Russian port and knowing what I have learned about the Soviet Union and Russia vs the United States, I was wondering what I would experience.  Disembarking the tender, we were welcomed with native costumed citizens offering welcoming trays of bread and salt and a band playing.  The tour included my first experience in a Russian Orthodox Church with a Priest explaining what we were seeing.  The images of what I had seen of the Stalinist era apartment buildings were part of the experience.  In the distance, a very large volcanic mountain loomed on the horizon.   And, again, the people with whom I had any contact were friendly and pleasant.  

One disappointment:  this port is the home of a major Russian submarine base and I had hoped to get a glimpse of a submarine.  But, as we sailed by the entrance to the base, if there were any present, I didn't see any.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1