Princess cruise Feb 2022 - Cancel for any reason with Princess' Vacation Protection insurance - FCC good how long?

PaperSniper4

7 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Theresa are you cruising in Jan?

Theres an update in pcl phoneline, if you’re cruising in Jan, you can rebook

no cancellation fees.  Just fyi

Thank you for the info but we cruise on Feb 10 to Hawaii.    We're still debating our options but need to make a decision soon. 

On 12/31/2021 at 6:24 PM, PacnGoNow said:

My FCC was posted tonight, not sure if thats it.  I’ll have to sit down tmrw and figure it out.  Mine says must book and sail by Dec 31, 2022.  
I used the book with confidence plan.

So confusing how they calculate this.

Keep me posted.

When you cancel using the book with confidence plan, are you also refunded the cost of Princess insurance?  

14 minutes ago, Therese S. said:

When you cancel using the book with confidence plan, are you also refunded the cost of Princess insurance?  

That's an excellent question.

I have canceled two Princess trips in the last 12 months. One was prior to the final payment, about 3-4 months ago. I received a cash refund to my credit card for the cruise and the insurance. But no reimbursement for my non-refundable deposit. (Not surprised)

The second cruise I just just canceled a few days ago, about 3 weeks after I'd made the final payment. I had Platinum Princess' Vacation Protection insurance which I bought and paid for last summer, months before the final payment. I was told I would receive a FCC for my deposit and the cost of the PVP. I was actually surprised about getting an FCC to cover the insurance....but then I have not seen that verified at Princess.com yet.....it's too early, I do not expect to see that FCC for a few  months.

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Therese S. said:

I was told NO.  Hate that, because I rebooked and had to pay insurance again.

Cost me quite a bit in insurance.

Not fair.  I think I’ll keep my Jan bookings, because I would lose

the insurance AGAIN.

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

I was told NO.  Hate that, because I rebooked and had to pay insurance again.

Cost me quite a bit in insurance.

Not fair.  I think I’ll keep my Jan bookings, because I would lose

the insurance AGAIN.

Thanks for the replies.  I ask because if I want to cancel using the cruise with confidence plan I need to decide very soon for our Feb 10 cruise or i can wait and cancel for any reason using my platinum princess insurance.  
if you’re not refunded the cost of insurance under the confidence plan, there’s no hurry to cancel yet.  

6 minutes ago, Therese S. said:

Thanks for the replies.  I ask because if I want to cancel using the cruise with confidence plan I need to decide very soon for our Feb 10 cruise or i can wait and cancel for any reason using my platinum princess insurance.  
if you’re not refunded the cost of insurance under the confidence plan, there’s no hurry to cancel yet.  

Don’t we lose the insurance on the PVP 

plan too?

23 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I have canceled two Princess trips in the last 12 months. One was prior to the final payment, about 3-4 months ago. I received a cash refund to my credit card for the cruise and the insurance. But no reimbursement for my non-refundable deposit. (Not surprised)

The second cruise I just just canceled a few days ago, about 3 weeks after I'd made the final payment. I had Platinum Princess' Vacation Protection insurance which I bought and paid for last summer, months before the final payment. I was told I would receive a FCC for my deposit and the cost of the PVP. I was actually surprised about getting an FCC to cover the insurance....but then I have not seen that verified at Princess.com yet.....it's too early, I do not expect to see that FCC for a few  months.

Doug

How far out was that 2nd cruise that you canceled? That you were told PVP would be refunded?

6 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Don’t we lose the insurance on the PVP 

plan too?

I would think so, but my TA told me I would receive the cost of the deposit and insurance for our cruise. That amount was about $479.  I had the Platinum PVP and canceled the trip (cruise plus EZ-Fare air) three weeks after I paid the final payment. The remainder of the final payment was credited to my card about 4 days later.

Now, keep in mind I have seen nothing in writing from Princess.com. So my FCC amount is unknown at this time. I have checked once to verify my cruise was canceled at Princess.com (it was), but I see nothing about a FCC, but then I don't expect to see anything for a few months.

Doug

28 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Doug

Here’s the cancellation chart to figure out your cancellation fees.  Clear as mud! Lol

https://www.princess.com/plan/standard-cancellation-refund-policy/

6 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

How far out was that 2nd cruise that you canceled? That you were told PVP would be refunded?

When I canceled with my Platinum PVP insurance, it was 62 days prior to the trip's start (28 Feb 2022 sail date). The trip date was one day prior to the sail date; we planned to fly to the departure port 1 day prior. I was told the deposit and the insurance would be refunded. I thought the insurance at least would not be, so we'll know more then I finally see that FCC. Too bad it takes so long to at least get an idea of the amount. I am also curious about the date by which I need to sail with that FCC as payment; I was told December 2023; I had expected to hear 2022 so questioned that. Nothing is for sure until we see it in writing.........

Doug

13 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Here’s the cancellation chart to figure out your cancellation fees.  Clear as mud! Lol

https://www.princess.com/plan/standard-cancellation-refund-policy/

Right, that's where I figured the amount that would be refunded as cash to my credit card. That was my major concern: canceling before the amount to the card decreased and the amount as an FCC increased. The two amounts ought to have always been the same, but I would MUCH rather have a credit on my card that a FCC which I may never be able to use.

7 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Right, that's where I figured the amount that would be refunded as cash to my credit card. That was my major concern: canceling before the amount to the card decreased and the amount as an FCC increased. The two amounts ought to have always been the same, but I would MUCH rather have a credit on my card that a FCC which I may never be able to use.

Exactly.  Hopefully this will help others.

8 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Likewise it appears that since Princess will give a FCC (that we won’t be able to use) due to their change in policy for under 30 days, I will not be able file a claim with my private insurance. Had I canceled last week, I would have lost my money with Princess but would have been able to file a claim. While the change in policy may be nice for those who did not have insurance, it negates mine.

10 minutes ago, hsmom said:

Likewise it appears that since Princess will give a FCC (that we won’t be able to use) due to their change in policy for under 30 days, I will not be able file a claim with my private insurance. Had I canceled last week, I would have lost my money with Princess but would have been able to file a claim. While the change in policy may be nice for those who did not have insurance, it negates mine.

I would check with your TA or PCL if you booked with them.  You may be able to use the insurance cancellation route?

I have insurance but used the book with confidence instead at 30 days out.  I believe I had a choice.  
Only difference I see, I did not have to fill out a claim, and I rebooked then.

Do check it out tomorrow and see what your options are.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

I would check with your TA or PCL if you booked with them.  You may be able to use the insurance cancellation route?

I have insurance but used the book with confidence instead at 30 days out.  I believe I had a choice.  

I read a letter from Carnival to passengers on cruises up to and including Jan 14, 22.  They can cancel for a full refund if they want to because of the health emergency covid concerns.

I still have not heard what the rules are for Princess.  Hopefully, I will get through to my agent tomorrow.

Did anyone find out today about the

rules for Princess?

4 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Thank you for a glimmer of hope. I will check tomorrow.

Today I used the chat feature to inquire about what happens to your Princess insurance if you cancel using the Book with Confidence plan.  Per Brigette on the chat line the total amount of your cruise is refunded including the cost of Princess Protection Insurance.  Some in FCC and some retuned to my original form of payment.  

My cancellation is gonna be a mess as I paid for my cruise with Princess gift cards.  Not looking forward to contacting my TA.  

16 minutes ago, Therese S. said:

Today I used the chat feature to inquire about what happens to your Princess insurance if you cancel using the Book with Confidence plan.  Per Brigette on the chat line the total amount of your cruise is refunded including the cost of Princess Protection Insurance.  Some in FCC and some retuned to my original form of payment.  

My cancellation is gonna be a mess as I paid for my cruise with Princess gift cards.  Not looking forward to contacting my TA.  

That’s great.  Mine is so complicated with FCC’s like a lot of us out there. 
But, I’m glad to hear that.  I’ll see what happens. 
Good luck on yours.

18 hours ago, Therese S. said:

It's actually not a mess; just have them give you the last four digits and amounts of the gift cards that they refund to 😀

On 12/19/2021 at 5:27 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

I booked a Princess cruise about a year ago. I paid the deposit at that time, and made the final payment a few weeks ago. In between time I bought Princess' Vacation Protection insurance; bought it early to start the "60 day pre-existing" clause.  One major reason I bought Princess' insurance for this trip was the CFAR reason provision, which I snipped and included here.

My question is has anyone used that provision to cancel "on their own", such as they just changed their mind after paying the final payment? And how long is that Princess future cruise credit valid? I thought I read somewhere it was only until April 2022 to book something. I like to be prepared.😳

Doug

PS - Also posted in Insurance forum..................

Capture.JPG

I am thinking of canceling our cruise sailing January 31st.  My travel agent said the money paid would be refunded as a credit for a future cruise but must be used by the end of this year.

2 hours ago, cmh said:

I am thinking of canceling our cruise sailing January 31st.  My travel agent said the money paid would be refunded as a credit for a future cruise but must be used by the end of this year.

I had heard it must be used by the end of this year also, but my TA said otherwise. Was he speaking in error? Could be. I've seen nothing from Princess to confirm the "lifetime" of the FCC, and they of course are the ones who count. I saw the cast refunded to my cc within a few days, and that was by far the larger of the refund vs FCC, so I am pleased about that. Time will tell with the FCC, I could probably use it is I had until 2023, if it had to be used in 2022 probably not.

Doug

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I had heard it must be used by the end of this year also, but my TA said otherwise. Was he speaking in error? Could be. I've seen nothing from Princess to confirm the "lifetime" of the FCC, and they of course are the ones who count. I saw the cast refunded to my cc within a few days, and that was by far the larger of the refund vs FCC, so I am pleased about that. Time will tell with the FCC, I could probably use it is I had until 2023, if it had to be used in 2022 probably not.

Doug

Doug,

Keep checking your account on PCL website.  When you see the Future cruise credits posted, click on details and it shows the sail by date.

In some cases, if you use insurance to cancel the cruise, it can be used up to a year later.  The book with confidence and the January rebooking option from Princess, if you cancel shows in my account as sail by Dec 31, 2022.