Experiences wearing masks on board

bkrickles1

On Disney in November we followed the stated policy - wearing it while indoors unless in stateroom or actively eating or drinking.  We followed the policy and probably wore the mask about 7-8 hours a day on ship, including in the theater.  Many interpreted "actively" as being seated in a dining area or bar, or even walking with a glass in their hand.  At times, crew did tell guests to put their masks back on.  If cruise lines are really serious about the policy, they will need to enforce it.

7 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

Looking back on our trip, we finished our cruise on the 12th and today is the 20th,  looks like despite the fact that we are both double vaxed and boosted there is a possibility that one or both of us has covid.  Wife and I are both going to get Covid test later today.  She either has Covid or a really severe cold.  At this point I have no symptoms but I am going to get tested anyway.

If one or both of us has covid,  the only three situations I can think of where we may have most likely been exposed were as follows: 1) getting on ship.  We were packed in the embarkation area for over 6 hours due to CDC's order to delay boarding Breakaway.  2)We did an excursion at Roatan on third day of cruise.  On this excursion we were in an enclosed bus for about 45 minutes each way with poor ac and ventilation.  Tour operator was talking without her mask the entire time  both ways. 3) getting off ship.  We waited in line a little over thirty minutes to self debark ship.  

The point is despite everything you do to self quarantine ahead of time, get your shots, wear masks when appropriate, there are situations that leave you vulnerable because social distancing is impossible. Hope my post does not get deleted and that this experience will in some way help others.  Wish us luck.  

Just got our test results back.  Both negative for Covid.  Evidently wife has respiratory bug she picked up somewhere.  Symptoms just about identical to Covid.  No charge for drive through testing at Walgreens.  We are both relieved no covid from cruise.  

• Like 23

1 hour ago, seemoreroyals said:

Just got our test results back.  Both negative for Covid.  Evidently wife has respiratory bug she picked up somewhere.  Symptoms just about identical to Covid.  No charge for drive through testing at Walgreens.  We are both relieved no covid from cruise.  

So glad to hear your tests were negative!  Thanks for coming back to let us know.

We were in that crowded terminal with you on December 5th.   Although we were all masked, it was quite a crowd before they stopped allowing more inside.  Not surprising someone could easily pass on a respiratory infection.   I hope your wife feels better soon

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, icedearth15324 said:

On the Norwegian Breakaway that I got off yesterday, we were told the ship was at 40% capacity. It definitely was not packed at all. Not sure what boat you were on though.

joy. Still on it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Reese15233 said:

The only time we really worried about masks on a Jade cruise last month was while interacting with others. Norwegian obviously has a vested interest in keeping their crew (and passengers) healthy. We would definitely put our masks up anytime we were speaking with staff, ordering etc. We also put them up when walking around indoors, if others were around but given the low capacity it wasn't always necessary.

We were boosted 2 weeks before the cruise and given the lack of social distancing on excursions, tenders etc. it was a comfort particularly as news of omicron broke. Even if the cruise lines weren't requiring them at this point I would mask for my own benefit. Unfortunately, I think they are just a part of our reality for the foreseeable future.

The Omicron variant, from what has been reported in all news outlets is that it is extremely transmissible but does not produce illness and people are not being hospitalized. I know this is very premature with more data to come about this variant, but I'm going out on a limb here to say I think Omicron is the best thing that has happened since the beginning of this pandemic. This variant is no more than a common cold and is stamping out Delta in the US.

Just today Omicron is 73% of cases and Delta is the balance. In another two or three weeks, Delta will probably be non existent. Let Omicron sweep the nation and we will certainly be able to achieve herd immunity and not overwhelm our health care system like other variants have done.

Hopefully, (fingers, toes and eyes crossed), Omicron turns out to be the big "nothing burger" that I have heard it is. All my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got back from the Norwegian Escape Dec 11-18. Got lucky and no masks required at all. Probably only saw 10 people wearing them the whole week. Between everyone being vaccinated and the negative tests at departure I don't know what anyone is worried about. Even with a possible outbreak and break through cases the result isn't deadly. I'm scheduled for an RCL cruise in March. If masks are required I'm cancelling. For me the pandemic is over, for the unvaccinated, well you made your choice. Good luck!

• Like 2

If I'm sitting in the theater with a drink, can I take off my mask? 

If I'm sitting in the social watching a comic with a drink, can I take off my mask? 

If I'm sitting in the Cavern Club jamming to the Beatles with a drink, can I take off my mask? 

Just thinking of different scenarios. 

On 12/20/2021 at 10:36 PM, coffeebean said:

The Omicron variant, from what has been reported in all news outlets is that it is extremely transmissible but does not produce illness and people are not being hospitalized.

All my opinion.

I guess those numerous articles about hospitalizations are just someone else's opinion too.

28 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

If I'm sitting in the social watching a comic with a drink, can I take off my mask? 

If I'm sitting in the Cavern Club jamming to the Beatles with a drink, can I take off my mask? 

We were on the Dec 5 sailing of the Breakaway with masks required.  We were in every one of those scenarios and had masks off.  At no point did anyone request us to put them on.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

On Breakaway we did not wear masks while at Syd Norman's.  Same with at theaters, watching comedy shows, at bars or other entertainment venues.  We did wear masks in elevators, while in transit between activities, and while first seated in restaurants. 

On our Dec 5 cruise we were required to wear masks and felt we were able to comply.   Most people we observed did the same and there was minimal complaints.  Saw a few times where passengers were reminded to wear mask properly or put one on but that was about it.  No altercations observed anywhere we could see on our cruise.  Everyone seemed to be having a good time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, billslowsky said:

I guess those numerous articles about hospitalizations are just someone else's opinion too.

I'm hearing just the opposite actually, I have yet to hear that Omicron is causing hospitals to be overwhelmed. That was the Delta variant that most recently overwhelmed hospitals. This Omicron variant is highly transmissible but not getting people sick as a general rule. This is being reported by MSM. There is no need to be super concerned with this variant, IMHO. Actually, I'm glad this Covid virus is mutating to keep itself alive and also to keep its hosts alive too.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I'm hearing just the opposite actually, I have yet to hear that Omicron is causing hospitals to be overwhelmed. That was the Delta variant that most recently overwhelmed hospitals. This Omicron variant is highly transmissible but not getting people sick as a general rule. This is being reported by MSM. There is no need to be super concerned with this variant, IMHO. Actually, I'm glad this Covid virus is mutating to keep itself alive and also to keep its hosts alive too.

This is what you said, and it's rubbish:

"The Omicron variant, from what has been reported in all news outlets is that it is extremely transmissible but does not produce illness and people are not being hospitalized."

People are not being hospitalized?  FALSE

Does not produce illness?  FALSE

What has been reported in all news outlets?  FALSE

• Like 1

16 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Please keep my thread on topic. 

TIA 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

This is what you said, and it's rubbish:

"The Omicron variant, from what has been reported in all news outlets is that it is extremely transmissible but does not produce illness and people are not being hospitalized."

People are not being hospitalized?  FALSE

Does not produce illness?  FALSE

What has been reported in all news outlets?  FALSE

TIA

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Did you really think generating a thread about covid masks was going to stay on topic?   lol

I did, and it has for the most part.

It's important information for those of us that are soon to be sailing.

Thanks for your interest.

On Bliss right now and enjoying being maskless most of the time (even though  signage everywhere that it is “required “) No one is wearing them in the clubs, maybe 50% in the theater. Probably 80% in the buffet. No one has asked us to put our masks on. Unfortunately Jersey Boys show was canceled due to one of the cast catching Covid. Other than that, having a blast!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

TIA

OK....I'll revise what I said.

The Omicron variant is more transmissible but is not nearly as deadly as previous variants and does cause nearly as many hospitalizations.

EDIT:  I just realized I quoted the wrong post. I didn't mean to reply to this post. I meant to reply to the poster who said I posted "rubbish" regarding the Omicron variant. Sorry about that.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 1