International RE-Entry Test Change

1 hour ago, little britain said:

So you are kicked off the ship in a foreign country and told 'you're on your own kid' to try and find a facility to test in, with no knowledge of how to get there, guidance re timeline or cost, or assistance from RCI?!   

I would expect a list of RCI preferred suppliers and the costs at each port as a bare minimum.

Very poor decision by RCI.

They are pretty clear that you can get tested at the terminal.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

We had results via email from Walgreens IDnow, the “under 24 hour” test, in less than 40 minutes.  Many others on CC have posted 20-60 minute result times.  So far I have not seen reports nearing 24 hours.  Perhaps they are claiming “under 24 hours” in case a store’s machine breaks down; that gives them time to fix it or to transport samples to another location.

I read on another thread that some cities are overwhelmed with people testing and that Walgreens is taking up to 24 hours for the  ID now test results.     Varies by location and will only get worse with more people traveling for the holidays. 

I am scheduled to get a test this Thursday at my local Walgreens and curious to see how long it will take.   

Also for everyone mentioning to get free tests at Walgreens or CVS, do they allow Non US Citizens to test there for free?   I have no idea if our pharmacies are set up for this.   

And currently takes more than a week ahead to schedule your test with Walgreens, CVS is 13 to 14 days out for new appointments.  Friday afternoon I ordered test kits from Optum for our Jan. cruise and received them early afternoon yesterday.     They are good up thru 10/2022. 

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Also for everyone mentioning to get free tests at Walgreens or CVS, do they allow Non US Citizens to test there for free?   I have no idea if our pharmacies are set up for this.   

My friend has spoken to her local Walgreens in FL and then have confirmed that testing is free for non US citizens too.   I will try them and be sure to report back!!! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, little britain said:

My friend has spoken to her local Walgreens in FL and then have confirmed that testing is free for non US citizens too.   I will try them and be sure to report back!!! 

Make sure you book your appointment as soon as possible. 

All the Walgreens near me allow booking up to 7 days before test - but all are fully booked. 

I booked my test for this Thursday last Thursday.   

CVS is currently booking testing up to 1/03/22 and every day but 1/03 is fully booked.    

Book early

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, little britain said:

Curious, does the UK or other countries in Europe offer the proctored at home test kits that international travelers can bring with to do their own test onboard ship to fly back home?

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Curious, does the UK or other countries in Europe offer the proctored at home test kits that international travelers can bring with to do their own test onboard ship to fly back home?

You can certainly get them in the UK, but the UK doesn’t require a proctored test - that’s a US requirement.

My advice to UK cruisers would be to buy a lateral flow test that offers a fit-to-fly certificate before leaving the UK - they’re readily available for under £20 - and take it with you to do on the ship. Saves all the hassle and/or expense of finding a test in Miami or wherever.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

And currently takes more than a week ahead to schedule your test with Walgreens, CVS is 13 to 14 days out for new appointments.  Friday afternoon I ordered test kits from Optum for our Jan. cruise and received them early afternoon yesterday.     They are good up thru 10/2022. 

Are your tests good to Oct 2022, for real?  Just checked the Optum online site, the furthest out expiration is Feb 3, 2022……I need a test for mid March, wouldn’t want one that expires too soon.  They say no returns, also.

What about re-entry to the US from Italy for US citizens?  Are the proctored home tests sufficient?  If so, I will be investing in Wonder's internet package so I can be tested onboard the day prior.  And as someone else pointed out, if I'm still onboard, I'm still RCI's 'problem'.  Thanks!

Edited by kayjaypea42

43 minutes ago, cinlo said:

Are your tests good to Oct 2022, for real?  Just checked the Optum online site, the furthest out expiration is Feb 3, 2022……I need a test for mid March, wouldn’t want one that expires too soon.  They say no returns, also.

Yes, all three kits expire oct 2022.  

If I had known they were good that far out I would have ordered the 6 pack to have enough for our feb and march cruises.

31 minutes ago, kayjaypea42 said:

What about re-entry to the US from Italy for US citizens?  Are the proctored home tests sufficient?  If so, I will be investing in Wonder's internet package so I can be tested onboard the day prior.  And as someone else pointed out, if I'm still onboard, I'm still RCI's 'problem'.  Thanks!

Yes, the rapid antigen tests that are proctored are sufficient for international flights.

• Like 1

The bottom line is that the moment we step off the ship to be tested in some dockside tent, we are not RCIs responsibility.

Any positive results will not appear on their ship reports and RCI will no longer have that duty of care to pay for quarantine and return flights.

Edited by little britain
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, little britain said:

The bottom line is that the moment we step off the ship to be tested in some dockside tent, we are not RCIs responsibility.

Any positive results will not appear on their ship reports and RCI will no longer have that duty of care to pay for quarantine and return flights.

Exactly. I agree. And this is not the basis on which we purchased the package holiday with RC of flight, hotel stay, cruise and transfers. My last communication from RC confirms testing on ship prior to departure. They have not advised us of the recent change but have confirmed to our TA that we can no longer be tested prior to departure from the ship. We would not have purchased the holiday with this level of risk.

We have asked for a refund as they have changed the holiday and it is no longer the trip that we purchased. Currently advised that we can have a FCC for the cruise fare only - not the flights (that were part of the package holiday we bought from RC). This, despite the fact that we specifically asked whether cruise with confidence covered the air fare part of the holiday as well as the cruise fare and were told it did. We would not have booked otherwise. We are waiting for our TA to discuss with RC again....

23 hours ago, smally said:

Exactly. I agree. And this is not the basis on which we purchased the package holiday with RC of flight, hotel stay, cruise and transfers. My last communication from RC confirms testing on ship prior to departure. They have not advised us of the recent change but have confirmed to our TA that we can no longer be tested prior to departure from the ship. We would not have purchased the holiday with this level of risk.

We have asked for a refund as they have changed the holiday and it is no longer the trip that we purchased. Currently advised that we can have a FCC for the cruise fare only - not the flights (that were part of the package holiday we bought from RC). This, despite the fact that we specifically asked whether cruise with confidence covered the air fare part of the holiday as well as the cruise fare and were told it did. We would not have booked otherwise. We are waiting for our TA to discuss with RC again....

Very disappointed at RCI as they do not honor the terms of their contract under which you purchased your cruise. They have no rights in doing that. This issue must be escalated so they don't get away with it. No company with decent business ethics would do this to their customers. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 5:41 PM, smally said:

I wish you the best.   Hopefully you have a good TA that will go to battle with RC on your behalf.    Let us know how you do. 

5 minutes ago, CCBB said:

Very disappointed at RCI as they do not honor the terms of their contract under which you purchased your cruise. They have no rights in doing that. This issue must be escalated so they don't get away with it. No company with decent business ethics would do this to their customers. 

Unfortunately, in the world we now live in many things have changed / been cancelled because of Covid.     Maybe you can bring some "at home" test kits with you that you can do yourself onboard the ship the last day of your cruise.     It will be a lot less expensive and more efficient than paying at the cruise terminal, airport, etc. 

Why is it such a big deal to get tested at the terminal when you disembark or self test? There have been so many changes and disappointments over the last almost 2 years that I just don't understand why this is so major. I have two cruises booked in Jan- Feb that are not going as planned at all but I'll certainly be glad we can go 

Edited by chucknmarilyn

7 minutes ago, chucknmarilyn said:

Why is it such a big deal to get tested at the terminal when you disembark or self test? There have been so many changes and disappointments over the last almost 2 years that I just don't understand why this is so major. I have two cruises booked in Jan- Feb that are not going as planned at all but I'll certainly be glad we can go 

The 'big deal' is that under the terms of our booking, we were to be tested the day prior to disembarking and, if positive, Royal Caribbean confirmed they would organise and pay for our quarantine and rearrange our transatlantic flights home.

If we disembark and then test at the terminal or airport there are 2 significant risks for us that weren't present under the terms we originally booked...

1. The test result may not come back in time and we may miss our transatlantic flight home which we would then have to rearrange at our own expense.

2. The test result may be positive and we would then have to organise and pay for our own quarantine and new transatlantic flights home. Royal state that they will do these things if we 'test positive whilst onboard'.

We do have travel insurance, but covid cover is limited as with most policies in the UK at the moment, so we would not have booked the holiday without the assurance that Royal would test us prior to disembarking and do all necessary to get us home. This assurance is confirmed to us in email, and we only found out that it no longer applies through this forum. RC did not advise of the change directly (even though they have confirmed that it is correct).

The holiday we booked has therefore changed substantially in terms of risk.

Our TA is still liaising with RC on our behalf. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, chucknmarilyn said:

Why is it such a big deal to get tested at the terminal when you disembark or self test?

Because it adds CAD$1,760 in additional unplanned costs to my family's vacation plans, and an extra layer of stress, and removes a promise made by Royal Caribbean made to me at the time of booking. Specifically, "Cruise with Confidence" no longer reflects the changed circumstances. RCI found a way to wiggle out of their obligations while I leaving me in the position of a bagholder.

• Like 3

This new policy by RCI puts more expense on Canadian guests, as already we pay  30% more than our American counterparts for our fares. One US dollar is approximately $1.30 Canadian dollar, then now on their blog, we have to acquire our own PCR tests to return home and these tests in the US can be very pricey.  This all adds up. We were on the Odyssey in November and it was free then, so we came home and booked 2 cruises in January and two in February and one in March. Looks like we will have to get a FCC for our January cruises and will cancel February and March cruises. These PCR tests just adds too much costs for us. Perhaps now we will have to wait till the Fall and use our FCC then.  Can't understand how they cannot advise on costs before we leave home.  Very poor PR on their part.

• Like 3

On 12/20/2021 at 7:16 PM, JR_Angus said:

As the tests will not be given onboard the ship it would seem that Royal’s Policy. “We’ll get you home” would Not Apply to anyone who is not a Resident of the USA. Your on your own.

May you please provide a list of countries or international resorts hotels etc that will provide me a free test to fly home from a foreign country back to the US?  Legit question as my husband and I plan to be in Italy for a month in June/July 2022.  I’m guessing we will be on our own if it is required, and we will be ok with that.

6 hours ago, LGW59 said:

May you please provide a list of countries or international resorts hotels etc that will provide me a free test to fly home from a foreign country back to the US?  Legit question as my husband and I plan to be in Italy for a month in June/July 2022.  I’m guessing we will be on our own if it is required, and we will be ok with that.

Seriously… July??? Who knows. 🤷‍♀️

8 hours ago, Fyona said:

This new policy by RCI puts more expense on Canadian guests, as already we pay  30% more than our American counterparts for our fares. One US dollar is approximately $1.30 Canadian dollar, then now on their blog, we have to acquire our own PCR tests to return home and these tests in the US can be very pricey.  This all adds up. We were on the Odyssey in November and it was free then, so we came home and booked 2 cruises in January and two in February and one in March. Looks like we will have to get a FCC for our January cruises and will cancel February and March cruises. These PCR tests just adds too much costs for us. Perhaps now we will have to wait till the Fall and use our FCC then.  Can't understand how they cannot advise on costs before we leave home.  Very poor PR on their part.

Ya I'm not too jazzed about the additional $600 - 1100 USD ($780 - $1400 Cdn) line item for PCR tests post-cruise for my family of six either. Or - as my mom who is coming with us suggested - the cost of booking a night or two in a hotel plus meals ($$$$) on the route home to wait for results if we can't find rapid tests.

I think what has most upset is that this was sprung on guests who had already entered into a contract with Royal on the understanding that testing would be done onboard. We are due to cruise in March and I don't think I would have booked this cruise otherwise as I am travelling with my four kids. 

The stress of trying to get the test done in time to get back home is even worse than the additional cost in my opinion.  We are driving, so at least we have the benefit of a 6 hour drive to the border but I couldn't even imagine trying to get this figured out if we were flying. Especially if your flights are already booked and you weren't able to take testing into account and build in some buffer. 

I'm prepared to keep our booking as is for now because I find it's stressing me out and I want to focus on the positive right now when all the news is back to 2020 level negative, but we will make a final decision before final payment in February. It just seems like a horribly stressful way to end what is supposed to be a relaxing and fun vacation.

Edited by JillK
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 4:06 PM, smally said:

The 'big deal' is that under the terms of our booking, we were to be tested the day prior to disembarking and, if positive, Royal Caribbean confirmed they would organise and pay for our quarantine and rearrange our transatlantic flights home.

If we disembark and then test at the terminal or airport there are 2 significant risks for us that weren't present under the terms we originally booked...

1. The test result may not come back in time and we may miss our transatlantic flight home which we would then have to rearrange at our own expense.

2. The test result may be positive and we would then have to organise and pay for our own quarantine and new transatlantic flights home. Royal state that they will do these things if we 'test positive whilst onboard'.

That's exactly what I worry about. Regarding the arrangement of a test on our own, at least it is something that can be planned for in terms of timing and costs. However, if the test result comes back positive, the arrangement for the quarantine hotel, the subsequent testing requirements, the re-arrangement of flights, and all the associated costs are something that cannot be planned and can be very costly, let alone being extremely stressful. We booked a RC cruise under the terms that RCI will provide all that, which was the main reason for why we booked the cruise. RCI should not changed the terms on its own. It would have been so much more acceptable if they did what Celebrity has done - honoring the terms for existing bookings and apply the new terms to new bookings going forward.

I hope RCI is reading these posts and re-consider its policy.

• Like 2

Interesting to see that the T&C's have changed yet again...

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/when-to-take-a-test-if-traveling-to-us-from-another-country

International Re-Entry Testing Options for Cruises from U.S. Homeports 

Many international travelers will require a negative COVID-19 test result for re-entry into their country of residence. Please see below for options available to you on your sailing.

Be sure to familiarize yourself with your country’s specific requirements prior to scheduling your re-entry test. 

For Sailings That Depart Before January 5, 2022 

You can schedule a complimentary COVID-19 test to be taken onboard just before the cruise ends. Both PCR and antigen tests are offered. Details on scheduling your test will be provided once onboard.

For Sailings Departing January 5, 2022 through January 31, 2022

Optional testing to satisfy your International Re-Entry Testing requirement is offered in the terminal after you disembark the ship, through our test provider partners. The cost of this testing is covered by Royal Caribbean for sailings departing through January 31, 2022. Both PCR and antigen “swab and go” tests are offered, with results emailed to you within an hour after testing. Once onboard, you will receive further guidance on how to schedule a test appointment.

For Sailings Departing On or After February 1, 2022

Optional testing to satisfy your International Re-Entry Testing requirement is offered in the terminal after you disembark the ship, through our test provider partners. The cost of testing is the responsibility of the guest, and varies depending on the port, with antigen tests starting at $105 and PCR tests starting at $210. Either test is “swab and go,” and results will be emailed to you within an hour after testing. Once onboard, you will receive further guidance on how to schedule a test appointment.

You can also make your own arrangements with test providers at the airport, or in the area of the port, such as local pharmacies or clinics. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 38anchor said:

Interesting to see that the T&C's have changed yet again...

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/when-to-take-a-test-if-traveling-to-us-from-another-country

International Re-Entry Testing Options for Cruises from U.S. Homeports 

For Sailings Departing On or After February 1, 2022

Optional testing to satisfy your International Re-Entry Testing requirement is offered in the terminal after you disembark the ship, through our test provider partners. The cost of testing is the responsibility of the guest, and varies depending on the port, with antigen tests starting at $105 and PCR tests starting at $210. Either test is “swab and go,” and results will be emailed to you within an hour after testing. Once onboard, you will receive further guidance on how to schedule a test appointment.

You can also make your own arrangements with test providers at the airport, or in the area of the port, such as local pharmacies or clinics. 

Wow- "starting at $210"... so my for family of 6 it will be "starting" (surprise you won't know until you get there) at $1260 USD ($1615 Canadian) or the stress-inducing option of trying to find somewhere along the way home. Feels like Royal doesn't want me to sail! 

• Thanks 1