SUN 2/11 - from great - to bad - to worse

seaventurer

Hang on...we all bought into this cruise thing for value...we paid for the promise and the promise is service, quality, a better/different vacation alternative than a land based vacation, activities, affordability (for many), and for those who wish to pay the premium, an extraordinary experience above and beyond the average.

Dare to compare a one week cruise to a week at a Holiday Inn on the beach, but it's getting close. Read on...

NOTE:* I have cruised for over 30 years and my opinion may not reflect those of many..beware though, the trend is changing and we are falling into the trap.

The trend is: 90% of those that vacation have never cruised. We that cruise are in a world of mostly first timers...NEXT: The industry is booming...costs are being dictated by the newbies who want to pay less - and don't care or know what cruising was...look at RCL's new project...we as a forum stated that 75% of us would NOT support this venture, but RCL is counting on the 25% that seemingly prefer to travel on a cattle car to nowhere. I lived in a town with a lower population that RCL's Genesis ship -

I have stated in previous posts that I would be willing to pay higher rates providing the promise of service was delivered, and on my last SUN cruise it was not. The food was "crap" for the exception of the extra charge dining venues...The Butler service was almost non-existant, and as a suite passenger with seemingly no added value except for the space, I felt ripped off...I am not alone in commenting on service and attention to detail...just look at all of the recent SUN reviews compared to a year ago...

The reality is, IMO, we will be and are now subject to a dilution of services and quality based on the determination of an industry to attract those who have liitle or no knowledge of what the value of a cruise was. The end of an era is now and has been replaced with nothing less than the minimum required to reduce vacancies and increase occupancy.

And this is just the beginning...mainstream cruising will ultimately garner more and more vacation seekers eager to save money and try something different. My question is - where will it end...five years ago if anyone talked about a 220,000 ton ship carrying up to 6,000 passengers, well, we would laugh.

FINAL NOTE: This industry is changing, and that's ok. I can't dispute growth and evolution...it's now a numbers game and we should all expect nothing more than a fine time at sea on a ship that delivers the very least in an effort to satisfy the most...if ever the coffee makers are removed from an NCL ship, I will truly fall apart...

Welcome to the new world of cruising...I guess we have to agree that less is more...

Hang on...we all bought into this cruise thing for value...we paid for the promise and the promise is service, quality, a better/different vacation alternative than a land based vacation, activities, affordability (for many), and for those who wish to pay the premium, an extraordinary experience above and beyond the average.

I don't remember ever hearing/reading this "promise". Thanks for clearing everything up. Provided, of course,that you're not just playing fast and loose with the word "promise" ;)

-Monte

Dare to compare a one week cruise to a week at a Holiday Inn on the beach, but it's getting close. Read on...

NOTE:* I have cruised for over 30 years and my opinion may not reflect those of many..beware though, the trend is changing and we are falling into the trap.

The trend is: 90% of those that vacation have never cruised. We that cruise are in a world of mostly first timers...NEXT: The industry is booming...costs are being dictated by the newbies who want to pay less - and don't care or know what cruising was...look at RCL's new project...we as a forum stated that 75% of us would NOT support this venture, but RCL is counting on the 25% that seemingly prefer to travel on a cattle car to nowhere. I lived in a town with a lower population that RCL's Genesis ship -

I have stated in previous posts that I would be willing to pay higher rates providing the promise of service was delivered, and on my last SUN cruise it was not. The food was "crap" for the exception of the extra charge dining venues...The Butler service was almost non-existant, and as a suite passenger with seemingly no added value except for the space, I felt ripped off...I am not alone in commenting on service and attention to detail...just look at all of the recent SUN reviews compared to a year ago...

The reality is, IMO, we will be and are now subject to a dilution of services and quality based on the determination of an industry to attract those who have liitle or no knowledge of what the value of a cruise was. The end of an era is now and has been replaced with nothing less than the minimum required to reduce vacancies and increase occupancy.

And this is just the beginning...mainstream cruising will ultimately garner more and more vacation seekers eager to save money and try something different. My question is - where will it end...five years ago if anyone talked about a 220,000 ton ship carrying up to 6,000 passengers, well, we would laugh.

FINAL NOTE: This industry is changing, and that's ok. I can't dispute growth and evolution...it's now a numbers game and we should all expect nothing more than a fine time at sea on a ship that delivers the very least in an effort to satisfy the most...if ever the coffee makers are removed from an NCL ship, I will truly fall apart...

Welcome to the new world of cruising...I guess we have to agree that less is more...

Most of what you say I agree with, to call the food crap is a bit of an exageration in my mind, but that is just my opinion and yours is just the same, yours. Yes, the industry has changed in the past 10 or so years. Some for the better, some not so. I think we have to either 1-accept the changing and enjoy cruising for what it is today or 2-be willing to shell out the money for the luxury liners. Some of us can't handle those prices regardless of what they offer, others will limit their crusing to every few years just to enjoy the service and food on the upscale liners and still others will will just continue cruising the way things are. We were on Celebrity last Dec. our daughter had a suite and we had CC service; believe me, except, again for the size there really wasn't nothing that made the suite special and the little extras that came with CC class couldn't compare with what we have gotten from our concierge on NCL in the past. You notice I said in the past....NMNita

The OP has a good feel for what I and others who we were on the Sun felt during our 2/18 cruise. It was about opportunity to impress and go beyond the minimal. Was the buffet good. Maybe- but it was minimal- it wasn't bad it just seemed minimal. How was the service in the pay restaurants? Mostly poor-it didn't ruin anything but it was minimal. Forget what you pay, it is about expectations and NCL like every other line provides an expectation of excellant service. This was not the norm on the Sun. It wasn't bad, just often it was indifferent (except for those pushing drinks who were pretty much everywhere). We have sailed NCL before and love Freestlyle and the vibe. We will sail with them again but our expectations remain the same whether it is NCL,Carnival, HAL or any other line.

The officers of the company have a fiduciary responsibility to maximize profits. Perhaps they are experimenting with cost cutting to increase profits. That might include understaffing room and dining service, a lower quality and variety of foods. Some of the reports lately sound like understaffing issues.

If it doesn't hurt sales then according to business metrics they're doing a great job! Even if the veteran cruisers choose them less often, there are 10x as many first time cruisers shopping by price who like the sound of freestyle. It's quite possible for the cost cuttings to result in greater financial benefit, than the damage from lost sales of veteran cruisers. Anyway I bet the first time cruisers lose way more gambling than veterans, and that's where a huge chunk of their profits come from...

I've tried online to see a layout of the AB 8203 on the Sun but still can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Does anyone have pictures of this particular suite ? I'm hoping that there is a separation from the bedroom area and the front door. Anyone able to find specifics on layout ? Also, does the balcony on this suite wrap around ? I'm amazed at the difference in opinion on the butler. It seems to be a hit or miss for sure. Also, a real quick q on the pay-for restaurants. Is the surcharge per person then that gets you their specific menu ? Are items in the main dining areas available there as well ?

ElectricRon.... your pictures are wonderful. Except that unfortunately I can see that my cabin's balcony doesn't wrap around :( Still looking for specific room layout for my AB. I even called NCL and they don't know :confused: The trip is booked but it'd be nice to know prior to for sure.

Surprises are always great. If your balcony wraps around or not, is it going to ruin your cruise?

Be surprised and happy with either result, then report back after your cruise.

Others would probably like to know..

I've read so much about wrap around balconies, that I'm always confused which ships have them or not.

So it's another rampage through my photos to find out.

Here's a photo of a large model of the Sun looking at the aft end of the ship.

Apparently the answer is no.:(

Sunaftview.jpg

I will certainly report back. Wrap-around balcony will not affect my cruise at all. Surprises can be good but planning can also make the trip that much more wonderful as you know what to expect and almost more importantly what not to expect. Still no layout of the room but I'll keep on trying. Thanks to all for any questions answered. Still have questions on the room layout and premium restaurants. A bad day on a cruise is still much better than a day of work. :)

PS- do you have any photos of the Sun's model from the front ?

Archived