SUN 2/11 - from great - to bad - to worse

seaventurer

This was my third cruise on the SUN...I love this ship and will sail again on her and with NCL...BUT...some very positive features which sold me on this ship in the past are now gone and have IMO diluted the best features and experience this fine ship offered and brought me back...

I cruise frequently - 6-12 times a year...including Carnival to Costa; Celebrity to Radisson, and everything in between. I sail solo 75% of the time...and pay double - I check daily for pricing and capacity control and have great luck getting upgrades without paying for them...This cruise, I sailed in Penthouse 9201 which was awesome, and one of the best suites I have sailed in for the price - bar none.

THE JEWEL stole most of the polished crew from the SUN, so I missed my friends from past cruises...the synergy and electricity from my last cruise on the SUN was absent from the standpoint of staff and crew services and attention to detail. However, I was remembered by the folks at Le Bistro (same staff), and a few of the bartenders...this is what makes coming (or going) back a treat...

There were a few substantial setbacks which boggled my mind...For example, mid week, the Hotel and Housekeeping Management team decided to launch their "in room bar set-up"...the stewards had no idea what they were supposed to do and I spent two hours calming down my Suite team of Stewardess and her assistant. I actually showed them how to set up and arrange the myriad of minis, chocolate bars and soda cans and ended up making my own bed that evening since they were too busy to service the cabins and suites, thanks to the bean counters at headquarters.

SUITE ISSUES: Forget the Butler...my (the) Butler delivered a tray of "amenities" each day (chocolates, appetizers, etc.)...I saw him first on the second evening when I ordered dinner delivery...the bowl of fruit was never replenished (I had rotten grapes by day five)...NOTE: If you as a cruise line are going to offer Butler service, then make it work...meet and greet the guests, call and ask if there is anything needed, and make suite guests feel special...HEY - this is why suite guests pay more...not be a snob, but I don't need a Butler to deliver a tray of cheese each day and then feel obligated to tip another machine that really hasn't delivered on the promise.

FOOD: The SUN still has GREAT food...except for the buffets. What happened to Eggs Benedict and Eggs Florentine for breakfast in the buffet??? And the Buffet lunch options are simply unacceptable...has anyone cruised before...NCL can NOT get away with the crap they serve at the buffet...NOTE: Many of the food items at the buffet were tasty - served warm or hot, but with very little effort, the venue could be greatly improved. For Example - serve the scrambled eggs with "peppers and onions" to add color and taste...add more omlette stations - five people at one station X's 5 minutes per omlette equals a 20 minute wait...

This cruise, Le Bistro scored the highest matched by East Meets West. This is some of the best food at sea...Sadly, Il Adagio, my former preferred dinning venue lost its appeal - the lovely Italian music, sensational service and personal attention was lost somewhere in the last year. In an empty restaurant, I was seated next to the kitchen doors (bang, bang)...had to beg for refills of water, and listened to the same music (muted) piped into the elevators...HOWEVER, the food was splendid and hot.

EVERY cruise, every week on a ship is different...there is a chemistry and balance on a ship, not unlike what we on land experience and I LOVE the SUN...it just didn't have the shine and finese of my past two cruises on her and I fear NCL is following the wrong path towards profitability...NCL needs the support of the travel trade and should consider providing more consistant service and trade relations. NCL continues to dilute their prices in an effort to fill their ships while at the same time eliminating the surrounding benefits and features of what cruising was founded on...

FINAL TAKE: I dislike seeing NCL becoming the "low cost" leader in cruising with diminishing services, lower standards and a reputation that as evidenced in the recent past through this board are not delivering the shining experience of NCL as we have known.

The Jacuzzis were never hot, Lobster was not available in the extra charge restaurants (after day four-and for several previous cruises as well), and again, the SUN just didn't shine...

Will I go again, again, YES...but only based on price and availability.

NEXT, I want to try the Jewel....I see her sail every Sunday from my CONDO overlooking Cruise Ship Alley...

Interestingly, i've read that hotels actually lose money on the stocked mini-bars because of the labor/man-hours necessary to maintain them.

I think it is a poor decision of NCL to go this route. I suspect most guests will not use them due to price, but you'll have high maintenance as it gets set up and checked, and a loss of more essential room cleaning (and towel animal!) services.

Very well written Seaventurer. I hope NCL read your comments and act upon them with the appropriate improvements.

It is a shame, but the cruise industry is very competitive. I have noticed a huge drop in standards since my first cruise.

We can only hope that the likes of NCL realise that it is good service and high standards that will keep customers, not beautiful ships alone.

Seaventurer states:

"NCL continues to dilute their prices in an effort to fill their ships while at the same time eliminating the surrounding benefits and features of what cruising was founded on..."

And then states:

You seem to want the low price also. I am not sure we can get both.

An astute observation.....

When original posters mention price as a major consideration, how can you then blame NCL for setting low prices, then nickel and dime-ing you for extras?

It is NCL's policy to sail full ships, and prices will fall to fill them. Once they have you captive aboard the ship, charging you for extras is how NCL makes a profit. They certainly aren't making most of their profits on cruise fares.

An astute observation.....

Once they have you captive aboard the ship, charging you for extras is how NCL makes a profit. They certainly aren't making most of their profits on cruise fares.

Well, they sure didn't make much off of us!!

There are many cruisers who don't fall for every come-on aboard a ship, just as they don't on land, such as art auctions, all of the photos, high priced items sold in their shops, etc.

If you drink, gamble, buy a soda card, buy internet minutes, eat in all of the specialty restaurants, you must be NCL's dream customer.

We aren't in that crowd, and it would seem that many other cruisers aren't either.

Nothing wrong with either option, but not every consumer falls into the profit making as suggested above.

Seaventurer states:

"NCL continues to dilute their prices in an effort to fill their ships while at the same time eliminating the surrounding benefits and features of what cruising was founded on..."

And then states:

You seem to want the low price also. I am not sure we can get both.

I think you missed her point.

I think her point is...she is willing to purchase the NEW product but only at a lower price. However she would be willing to purchase the OLD product at higher prices.

And...

Hello! This is my first NCL post because I am considering NCL for my NEXT cruise. Hopefully I can get some good information here.

SUITE ISSUES: Forget the Butler...my (the) Butler delivered a tray of "amenities" each day (chocolates, appetizers, etc.)...I saw him first on the second evening when I ordered dinner delivery...the bowl of fruit was never replenished (I had rotten grapes by day five)...NOTE: If you as a cruise line are going to offer Butler service, then make it work...meet and greet the guests, call and ask if there is anything needed, and make suite guests feel special...HEY - this is why suite guests pay more...not be a snob, but I don't need a Butler to deliver a tray of cheese each day and then feel obligated to tip another machine that really hasn't delivered on the promise.

Wow...that brings back memories...we too had butler service on the Sun last October and I wasn't impressed with ours. Our formal introduction was when we ordered Breakfast and both of them came up to meet us so when we felt we had to tip both. Other than that I only saw them/him when they delivered the goodies

We will be on the Jewel with Butler Service again, I hope there is improvement

Wow...that brings back memories...we too had butler service on the Sun last October and I wasn't impressed with ours. Our formal introduction was when we ordered Breakfast and both of them came up to meet us so when we felt we had to tip both. Other than that I only saw them/him when they delivered the goodies

We will be on the Jewel with Butler Service again, I hope there is improvement

Will be anxious to hear your reports as I have been reading the suites service on NCL is far superior to most other lines. Our DD had a suite on Celebrity a few months ago and hardly even saw the butler. She wasn't even sure why she was tipping him. Although he was nice enough, he really did almost nothing. Her cabin (suite) was, of course nicer than our CC cabins, but that was about all. We have never had a suite and probably will not. NMNita

Here's one vote for keeping the peppers and onions out of the scrambled eggs. I've always been amazed how NCL can serve soft, moist scrambled eggs in their buffets. Most buffet scrambled eggs are overcooked, dried-out, rubbery, and tasteless. Let's not ruin them with onions and peppers. Just ask for that in your custom omelet.

Will be anxious to hear your reports as I have been reading the suites service on NCL is far superior to most other lines. Our DD had a suite on Celebrity a few months ago and hardly even saw the butler. She wasn't even sure why she was tipping him. Although he was nice enough, he really did almost nothing. Her cabin (suite) was, of course nicer than our CC cabins, but that was about all. We have never had a suite and probably will not. NMNita

Well, I'm hooked on suites now... And will be checking out the owners suite on the Jewel :) so I do hope we get better service. I have read so much good reviews on everyone else' butlers but I didn't see anything special with ours. I tried to make small talk with him but I didn't get a comfortable feeling with him and he was always in a rush to get out.

I will definately update all on my next venture...only 240 days to go :eek:

To reiterate, I am an NCL loyalist...I got what I paid for and would do it again, based on my needs...However, I witnessed a significant deterioriation in service, food quality in the buffet and guest satisfaction (as a suite passenger). I am a seasoned cruiser so my expectations are high...

The Scrambled eggs may be ok, but NOT SEVEN DAYS IN A ROW...especially when eggs benedict and florentine used to be an option...Creativity in food service is easy..no attempt was made to set the breakfast buffets apart from the ordinary...it takes so little effort and combined with the nonsense at the lunch buffets, well, it was just a dissapointment. NOTE: The quality was ok as was the taste - the variety and creativity (presentation) is what failed IMO.

My point is that NCL, and all of the lines, have to come up with something that ensures satisfaction, retention and loyalty...and at this point, a price for a suite on the SUN will lure me back time in and time out...unless...

I want NCL to deliver on the promise...keep me abreast and fix those problems...

To reiterate, I am an NCL loyalist...I got what I paid for and would do it again, based on my needs...However, I witnessed a significant deterioriation in service, food quality in the buffet and guest satisfaction (as a suite passenger). I am a seasoned cruiser so my expectations are high...
I'm a tad bit confused. You got what you paid for but you expected more? For me, I realize that prices have dropped dramatically and things have changed. There's no way NCL or any other line can deliver the same product of 10 years ago when the prices have come down so much. That's must my opinion.
I want NCL to deliver on the promise...keep me abreast and fix those problems...
What promise?

I'm a tad bit confused. You got what you paid for but you expected more? For me, I realize that prices have dropped dramatically and things have changed. There's no way NCL or any other line can deliver the same product of 10 years ago when the prices have come down so much. That's must my opinion. What promise?
Cecelia, you are so right. I think it is often hard for all of us to realize what we got 14 or 15 years ago is not the cruise experience we are getting today. That's why so many lines have added things like, specialty dining options etc. We have the opportunity to make our own choices. One complaint that we often hear, I didn't even meet my room steward, yes, this is new as we used to see him/her within 15 minutes of opening our door, but I don't know that it makes much difference. It is nice if you know his name, can say hi, etc but as long as the cabins are kept in good clean condition I don't really think it makes a whole lot of difference. NMnita

The Scrambled eggs may be ok, but NOT SEVEN DAYS IN A ROW...especially when eggs benedict and florentine used to be an option...Creativity in food service is easy..no attempt was made to set the breakfast buffets apart from the ordinary...it takes so little effort and combined with the nonsense at the lunch buffets, well, it was just a dissapointment. NOTE: The quality was ok as was the taste - the variety and creativity (presentation) is what failed IMO.

My point is that NCL, and all of the lines, have to come up with something that ensures satisfaction, retention and loyalty...and at this point, a price for a suite on the SUN will lure me back time in and time out...unless...

Couldn't you get those eggs in the restaurant for breakfast? It seems if you want something special you don't go to the buffet, the place with the least options.:confused:

Excellent points - all of them. I am amazed at the posts that I read on the boards that are critical ( not so much in this case ) of anyone who has suggestions on how their expectations were not met and what can be improved. It is by expectations that changes are made. It seems as though we too often lower our standards in defense of the cruise line- as they pare away at the heart of why we love cruising. To just roll over and take the dissappointment - or worse - to have no expectations, is not right or good for anyone.

cruised on the sun for my 2nd time just over a month ago - 1st on the sun was less than a year after it was launched. this was my 7th cruise.

you're very right concerning many points - not shinning like it once did which is a shame since it is a very classy ship. the jacuzzies were always luke-warm, the buffet is pretty bad - probably the worst at sea. thing is NCL is the 2nd most cheapest cruise now. carnival being cheapest. you get what you pay for..

we had a good cruise, not great, but good. no real complaints. that said, next cruise we plan to kick it up a notch to princess.

It is by expectations that changes are made. It seems as though we too often lower our standards in defense of the cruise line- as they pare away at the heart of why we love cruising. To just roll over and take the dissappointment - or worse - to have no expectations, is not right or good for anyone.

Good Thoughts. I had expressed almost the same thing previously, and the loyalists immediately became defensive.

If cruisers aren't allowed to make statements regarding service, food, etc. on these boards, without fear of being flamed one way or another, the boards are absolutely of no use to anyone.

We do have expectations, and as paying customers, we feel they are not too high for the price we pay.

Thanks!:)

Just an observation as the OP and another commented on not seeing the butler very much -

They come when you call, but other than an afternoon treat delivery you won't otherwise see them - they are busy handling all the requests that come their way from the many cabins they have!

We used the butler a lot on the Dawn - breakfast every morning, a few small parties, an occasional treat - had great service, but if we hadn't picked up the phone he'd have (appropriately in my view) left us alone pretty much.

cruised on the sun for my 2nd time just over a month ago - 1st on the sun was less than a year after it was launched. this was my 7th cruise.

you're very right concerning many points - not shinning like it once did which is a shame since it is a very classy ship. the jacuzzies were always luke-warm, the buffet is pretty bad - probably the worst at sea. thing is NCL is the 2nd most cheapest cruise now. carnival being cheapest. you get what you pay for..

we had a good cruise, not great, but good. no real complaints. that said, next cruise we plan to kick it up a notch to princess.

I always crack up when people talk about the cheapest cruises: first of all as a TA I can assure you Carnival's prices are not the lowest, they do, along with RCI have the shorter cruiser, but their longer ones can run just as much as anyone else's. We have cruised Celebrity twice and had a third one booked that we cancelled: the reason we choose Celebrity is every case, one because it is an excellant line, 2nd they offered the lowest prices: yes, much lower than NCL. all lines have their weak and strong points; I agree the buffets don't set the world on fire, neither do the buffets on Celebrity except the waffles on X: wow!!! NMNita

Archived