Very Deceptive Mailout

hqarangrsl

Yesterday we received a mailout from American Queen Voyages titled North American Encounters.  They had one particular trip we were very interested in called Splendor of the Great Lakes - Chicago to Toronto.  The mailout said the voyages were on either the Victory I (dates from May 11 2022 through Sep 14 2022 with fares per guest from $3949) or Victory II (dates from May 8 2022 through Aug 16 2022 with fares per guest from $4399).  We looked these up on the internet and found that there were no voyages on either of these vessels and the lowest rate was $4999 per guest.  So, I called their number to see what was going on.  According to the man who answered the phone they did not have those vessels, they did not have a Sep 14th trip (the date we were interested in), and indeed, the lowest possible fare was $4999 per guest.  When I asked why they had just mailed out something saying they did his response was that he didn't know, the only thing he could say to me was what appeared on his computer.  This is the first time in over 20 years of cruising that I have received a mailout from any cruise line - either river or ocean - that so falsely misrepresented what a company had to offer.  I wouldn't trust them now if they offered to give me a free cruise!

Hi hqarangrsl  We are booked on the Splendor Of The Great Lakes cruise leaving 9/05/2022. That is the Chicago to Toronto trip. The return trip, Toronto to Chicago is 9/14. I myself was confused when I checked my bookmark describing the cruise and found that Victory Cruise Lines had been merged with American Queen Voyages and undergone a name change. In December they renamed the Victory 1 and Victory 2 to be more in line with their new cruise line. Those ships are now the Ocean Voyager ( V 1) and the Ocean Navigator (V 2). I would guess whoever you talked to did not connect the Victory ships with their new names. Go to https://www.victorycruiselines.com/cruises/splendor-of-the-great-lakes/ to see details of the cruises. I am using that link right now.

A. C. Mullin

We once received a flyer from American Queen Steamboat Company that touted "sale prices" for upcoming cruises.  But the internet did not show these prices.  We called in, and were told the lower prices were indeed legit, and the internet just hadn't yet "caught up."  However, we had to book the trip over the phone and pay for the entire cruise right then to get the flyer prices.  At that time, the cruise in question was well over a year in the future.

So I think it might just be possible that the flyer is valid, so I recommend you try calling in again and hopefully you will not encounter such a clueless rep.

I do notice that the internet prices are much lower before June, then take a big jump after that until the end of the season.