Live from the NCL Escape - 12/23 Sailing

bassmaster150

So this is our first cruise in just over 2 years, and our first during the COVID mess.  I wanted to update everyone who has not cruised on what the process is to board a NCL ship with all of the new protocols in place.  We are sailing on the 11-night Caribbean cruise on the NCL Escape out of Port Canaveral.

We arrived at the cruise terminal within our scheduled time period of 11:30-12:00pm.  The terminal was already packed with people so it is up to you as to whether you decide to show up on time or prior to your scheduled time.  Nobody is checking this, so they just let you in link which is ok by me.

Upon arrival, you are directed to the first of 4 tents for the COVID testing process.  In the first tent, you stand in a line, and they verify your passport, vaccine card, and the code you are supposed to have for your COVID test.  Once that has been verified, you move into the second tent where you stand in another line waiting to be tested.  When you make it to the front, they you move to whatever station is open and then do your self-swab test in front of the testing person (they hand you all of the stuff).  The good news is that it is not a brain scrape test, so you only have to swab the inside of your nostrils.

Once you have finished the test, you are handed a card with a code on it and moved to the next tent where you take a seat and look at a screen waiting for your code to show up.  Once your code shows up, you are given a wristband and you can move into the building which I will get to in a minute.  Now here is the interesting part….my wife’s code showed up after 10 minutes, but mine did not….it didn’t show up after 30 minutes so I was concerned that I might be positive.  However, someone got on a mic and called for all who had a time stamp in the past 30 minutes but whose code didn’t show up.  Then we were given wristbands and permitted to board.  What I think happened was that they had no positive results in that time period, so they moved everyone forward.  I did get a text message about 30 minutes later with a negative result.

Once you are through the testing period, then you move into the main building for checkin.  Yes, you wait in yet another line.  Once you make it to an agent, they ask for your passport, boarding pass, and vaccine cards.  They also ask you a series of COVID questions as well as take your temperature.  Once all that is done, you are given your room cards and permitted to board.  All in all it was about 2 hours and 15 minutes from the time we entered the first tent until the time we were on board the ship.  There was no confusion or anything like that….it was a very orderly process.

Now that we are on board just a few things of note...originally this was supposed to be a mask-free cruise.  Two days prior to sailing, they changed it to mandatory mask which is interesting since everyone is fully vaccinated and tested before boarding so I don’t quite understand that one but we will comply…kind of...I just went downstairs and apparently many did not get the memo as there are quite a few people (in the hundreds) walking around without their masks so we will see what happens as we cruise on.  They also closed the ropes course for “maintenance” but nobody is doing any maintenance.  Since we only have 2 sea days on this 11 night cruise (port intensive), I am not concerned…but I really wanted to do the ropes course.  I will update you as we cruise along.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for keeping us updated on the current processes. We are supposed to board the Escape 1/8/22. Can I ask when/how you received your code for COVID testing? I registered for the test during check in as required. will they just test/email us a code closer to time?

Thanks for the post with such detailed information about check in.  We cruise on the 15th.  It will be our first cruise since the pandemic started and are hoping for the best since cancelling isn't an option.  We will probably take a covid test before heading to Florida.

If you have time, please let us know your thoughts on everything else, such as the shows, meals, excursions, and outdoor experiences.

Fresh off the Escape on 12/23. 

A couple minor errors to point out in the original post. There are 3 tents, not 4 to go through outside.  The mask requirement was announced on 12/17 and just updated a couple days ago to include all sailings through 1/31/22.

Here is info on the testing process to add to the original post from my own experience on 12/18.

I arrived to my parking lot at 945am, gates opened at 10am, on shuttle by 1010am, at port at 1020am. I was through testing tents and approved with negative test at 11:05am (30 minutes to wait for my test).  You really need to pay attention to the screen. The numbers are usually your initials followed by your birthdate Mon/Day. The numbers do not scroll but they are constantly deleting and adding numbers as people move through, so the lines tend to jump around a bit. Sometimes numbers get deleted by mistake, hence the announcement every 30 minutes or so regarding not seeing your number. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BusyBlond said:

Thanks for keeping us updated on the current processes. We are supposed to board the Escape 1/8/22. Can I ask when/how you received your code for COVID testing? I registered for the test during check in as required. will they just test/email us a code closer to time?

When we registered, we received an email from CVS with the code.  If for some reason you never get one, you can register onsite, but it takes a little more time.

2 hours ago, Photoc said:

A couple minor errors to point out in the original post. There are 3 tents, not 4 to go through outside.  The mask requirement was announced on 12/17 and just updated a couple days ago to include all sailings through 1/31/22.

Here is info on the testing process to add to the original post from my own experience on 12/18.

I arrived to my parking lot at 945am, gates opened at 10am, on shuttle by 1010am, at port at 1020am. I was through testing tents and approved with negative test at 11:05am (30 minutes to wait for my test).  You really need to pay attention to the screen. The numbers are usually your initials followed by your birthdate Mon/Day. The numbers do not scroll but they are constantly deleting and adding numbers as people move through, so the lines tend to jump around a bit. Sometimes numbers get deleted by mistake, hence the announcement every 30 minutes or so regarding not seeing your number. 

Thanks for the corrections....you are correct...three tents, not 4.

3 hours ago, Photoc said:

When was your check-in time?  That sounds quite a bit earlier than the available check-in times to select.  

Spent 2 weeks on escape. Got off the 18th. Checkin a breeze. Crew was incredible

missed 2 ports but it was fine.  Crew is trying very hard. Most of crew we talked to had no 

income for over a year. They need our support

comedy shows and choir of the man Excellent 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JCDCA said:

When was your check-in time?  That sounds quite a bit earlier than the available check-in times to select.  

Check in time was 11am for me. I had selections as early as 9am to chose from but since where I was parking did not open for incoming cars until 10am, I went with 11.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Photoc said:

Check in time was 11am for me. I had selections as early as 9am to chose from but since where I was parking did not open for incoming cars until 10am, I went with 11.

That’s surprising.  I had 12-1230 and thought that was earliest or next to earliest option I saw when choosing right at 21 days.  Anyways it was a mess actually when I was there.  Took 2 hours start to finish.  Test portion was fine actually — once I got through the 30 minute wait for a swab got results texted in 15 minutes.  Be sure cvs has your personal info as waiting for the screen seems to take a good deal longer.  Unfortunately after testing was clear, there was another 30 minute line in the terminal.  When I reached an agent finally I found out the server had crashed and they stopped boarding passengers for a while.  As I said, I found the process to be pretty much a cluster and took about 2 hours in all.  Due to the server issue when I boarded and swiped my card, I was sent to guest services as were quite a few other folks as certain pieces of info from check in apparently had to be re-entered.  

Edited by JCDCA
Clean-up

20 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Thanks for the post with such detailed information about check in.  We cruise on the 15th.  It will be our first cruise since the pandemic started and are hoping for the best since cancelling isn't an option.  We will probably take a covid test before heading to Florida.

If you have time, please let us know your thoughts on everything else, such as the shows, meals, excursions, and outdoor experiences.

So far everything is excellent.  Food is great, crew is outstanding, drinks are flowing, and everyone is having a great time.  We went to Teppenyaki last night and it was outstanding.  Entertainment is very good and they are keeping us busy.  I am going to guess that we are about 70% full, maybe more, maybe less…but it is very easy to find tables in garden cafe and seats around the boat.

• Like 1

So we ate at Teppanyaki last night, and Cagney's tonight....I am leaning a little towards Teppanyaki as the better more flavorful steak....but we still have a lot of cruise left and like another 5 specialty restaurant meals to go so we will see how it plays out.  The crew has been fantastic and very happy to have everyone on board.  We were in the Dominican Republic today riding horses and it was great.  Keep asking if you have any more questions and I will answer them as I get the chance to.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bassmaster150 said:

So far everything is excellent.  Food is great, crew is outstanding, drinks are flowing, and everyone is having a great time.  We went to Teppenyaki last night and it was outstanding.  Entertainment is very good and they are keeping us busy.  I am going to guess that we are about 70% full, maybe more, maybe less…but it is very easy to find tables in garden cafe and seats around the boat.

That's great to hear!  

3 hours ago, bassmaster150 said:

So we ate at Teppanyaki last night, and Cagney's tonight....I am leaning a little towards Teppanyaki as the better more flavorful steak....but we still have a lot of cruise left and like another 5 specialty restaurant meals to go so we will see how it plays out.  The crew has been fantastic and very happy to have everyone on board.  We were in the Dominican Republic today riding horses and it was great.  Keep asking if you have any more questions and I will answer them as I get the chance to.

Best steak on board lately in my experience has been the tenderloin at Le Bistro.  Much more flavorful than the ones at Cagney’s.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Old & Retired said:

So you line up and wait until you get tested.  Then you wait for the results.  Then you wait in check in line.  Then you wait to get on the ship.  Seems pretty basic.

Correct….I think they do a great job with all of the people that they are getting on the ship…there were no issues and our cruise has been great so far

San Juan, Puerto Rico today…just a quick update on excursions…so far in the last two ports they tell us that we need to carry our vaccine cards with us which we do.  We have not been asked to show them at any time.  Also, masks were required ashore in our first two ports, but once on the islands, it seems like they are a little more lax in that regard.  The residents appear to be very happy that we are visiting.

1 hour ago, bassmaster150 said:

San Juan, Puerto Rico today…just a quick update on excursions…so far in the last two ports they tell us that we need to carry our vaccine cards with us which we do.  We have not been asked to show them at any time.  Also, masks were required ashore in our first two ports, but once on the islands, it seems like they are a little more lax in that regard.  The residents appear to be very happy that we are visiting.

Scratch that…Puerto Rico is stricter on mask requirements.  It is a $100 fine if you do not wear one.

• Like 2